Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Oct 2006 (Tuesday) 21:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Today, a photographer does not need to know...

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 24, 2006 21:24 |  #1

My daughter takes dance classes at our local "Family Museum". The Family Museum is basically a hands-on science museum for kids. Today, they had a big photography exhibit that I found quite interesting. While browsing all the photographs and reading the commentary that accompanied them, I came across this comment:

With the help from digital cameras, photography has become easier and faster than ever before. Today a photographer does not need to know what aperture means or how to calculate the f-stop in order to take great pictures.

I'd be curious to hear your reactions, if any, to that quote.

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 24, 2006 21:30 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

guess its how you define photographer. a polaroid doesn't need math and knowledge.
a working pro certainly does. everyday mom and dad can freely snap away without knowing. its a pretty vague and awful statement that should have been clarified.

it is sad that som many people have great digital tools without knowing how to use them

in the end, those of us with a full working knowledge of the ins and outs will suffer a hit right now being undercut by newbs, but int he end will rise above to meet the actual needs of clients.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 24, 2006 21:46 |  #3

The whole statement just goes to show how little the writer actually knows about photography.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 24, 2006 21:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #2165213 (external link)
The whole statement just goes to show how little the writer actually knows about photography.

Mark

I think it was just poorly stated. They could be talking about old leicas and the like where you had to know BDE in order to get a proper exposure or something. Who knows.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 24, 2006 21:52 |  #5

coreypolis wrote in post #2165222 (external link)
I think it was just poorly stated. They could be talking about old leicas and the like where you had to know BDE in order to get a proper exposure or something. Who knows.

True, but "calculate an f-stop" - I don't calculate it. I just know what it is.

Mark

Mark
-----

djscottwalls
94 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 24, 2006 21:55 |  #6

I am a studio lighting course at the local museum and it is tought useing film. ever student in there has a film base camera except for me. luckily I have understanding of film camera seeing that I have taken three years in film photography. I have to agree that this guy does not know what he is talking about. People go out and buy non DSLR cameras and automaticaly think that they are a photographer. People can get good shoots from these cameras but how many good shoots. But with this the camera is doing to work for you. The camera can only go so far. Knowing the aperture and f-stop and how to use the correctly will only deliver better pictures and more accurate picutres.

I feel more comfortable useing the camera on Manual then on Fully Auto.

Also the younger kids that are in the class are take a class at the local highschool and this is tought in film as well. so I guess once you learn the appature and f-stop you will always use them.

Scott Walls :) www.scottwallsphoto.co​m (external link)

Canon 50D | Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 DG | Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | AlienBees 800 | Pocket Wizard Plus II

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 24, 2006 21:58 as a reply to  @ Mark_Cohran's post |  #7

That kind of statement is from a picture taker. Not an artist using the medium of photography. They will never understand the art of photography.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 24, 2006 22:01 |  #8

BTBeilke wrote in post #2165129 (external link)
My daughter takes dance classes at our local "Family Museum". The Family Museum is basically a hands-on science museum for kids. Today, they had a big photography exhibit that I found quite interesting. While browsing all the photographs and reading the commentary that accompanied them, I came across this comment:

I'd be curious to hear your reactions, if any, to that quote.

yuck.. don't let my niece hear that.. I won't buy her a DSLR until she learns how to use one correctly. I don't need anybody telling her its not necessary...

sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 24, 2006 22:12 |  #9

saravrose wrote in post #2165300 (external link)
yuck.. don't let my niece hear that.. I won't buy her a DSLR until she learns how to use one correctly. I don't need anybody telling her its not necessary...

sari

I've been teaching high school kids photograph off and on for 10 years now. I stress the basics of exposure and composition - they have to know how their camera's work and how to correct for exposure in conditions the camera has trouble compensating for before I'll let them print anything. That museum is doing a disservice to the next generation of photographers.

Mark

Mark
-----

Morgandy
177 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 24, 2006 22:54 as a reply to  @ Mark_Cohran's post |  #10

It seems as though the responses in this thread are looking at the camera world through DSLR-colored glasses. The statement applies to point & shoot cameras, although perhaps the person who wrote it does not at all know that. Taken in that context, there's nothing wrong with the statement.

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 24, 2006 23:49 |  #11

Museum curators that write this stuff often don't know what they are talking about imo.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 24, 2006 23:56 |  #12

T.Hogan wrote in post #2165282 (external link)
That kind of statement is from a picture taker. Not an artist using the medium of photography. They will never understand the art of photography.

You have found a perfect way to post messages that get totally ignored.

As to the museum statement: Someone has been reading too many Canon brochures.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,831 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 24, 2006 23:56 |  #13

BTBeilke wrote in post #2165129 (external link)
came across this comment:

Quote:
With the help from digital cameras, photography has become easier and faster than ever before. Today a photographer does not need to know what aperture means or how to calculate the f-stop in order to take great pictures."

I'd be curious to hear your reactions, if any, to that quote

Gee that same quotation could have been said about the fully automatic exposure cameras that were available in the early 1960's and depended upon selenium cell meters mounted on the external surface of the camera body, changing only to say, "With the help from selenium cell auto exposure cameras, photography has become easier and faster than ever before. Today a photographer does not need to know what aperture means or how to calculate the f-stop in order to take great pictures." !

It should have stated, "With the help from digital cameras, photography has become easier and faster and less expensive per shot than ever before. Today a photographer does not need to go to the drugstore or photo store or wait to see their processed photos in order to take and print great pictures."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,831 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 25, 2006 00:03 |  #14

Morgandy wrote in post #2165513 (external link)
It seems as though the responses in this thread are looking at the camera world through DSLR-colored glasses. The statement applies to point & shoot cameras, although perhaps the person who wrote it does not at all know that. Taken in that context, there's nothing wrong with the statement.

Sorry but there is everything wrong with that statement when applied to digital cameras...it is not new! See my post before this one, to see that the statement they made was true FORTY years ago! It is as ludicrous as Dan Quayle having claimed that their presidential administration had invented the internet!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 25, 2006 00:07 |  #15

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #2165354 (external link)
I've been teaching high school kids photograph off and on for 10 years now. I stress the basics of exposure and composition - they have to know how their camera's work and how to correct for exposure in conditions the camera has trouble compensating for before I'll let them print anything. That museum is doing a disservice to the next generation of photographers.

Mark

agree.. I figure it does buy me a few years.. I'm not sure if a seven year old can grasp much more than apperture and composition.. but she does both of those very well... But, when she gets to be eleven/twelve or so and shows me that she can use the manual modes and has the basic principals down then she'll get her own camera.. until then. she has a perfectly fine 4MP point and shoot.. it's even Canon..

Those statements run all over the place from all points of view and people.. Mostly from folks who have never tried it.. Or from people who assume that the SLR market is an expensive version of disposable cameras..

sari.

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

sponsored links

3,233 views & 5 likes for this thread
Today, a photographer does not need to know...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.