Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 26 Oct 2006 (Thursday) 23:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some New Volleyball (CC Please)

DaDeuce
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 26, 2006 23:18 |  #1

Have taken alot of volleyball pics in the last few weeks, and have finally gotten around to processing some of the good ones. Take a look and let me know what you think. I wish all of the indoor ones came out like the ones from the beach.

My New Volleyball Pics (external link)

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2006 11:15 |  #2

Come on I know some of you volleyball guys have something to say.

After this past weekend I'm seriously contemplating buying a 85mm 1.8 to use in the gyms. With there still being a couple weeks of volleyball left, and my younger brothers senior of basketball, I think it would be a good investment.

Gripped Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f/2.8, nifty fifty & a 18-55mm IS, what should I buy next?

Kadman
79 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 27, 2006 11:48 |  #3

I think you did a great job of capturing key action points and getting in close, although some of them are either shot or cropped above the ankles and I find that to be a bit of an odd place to stop. I would either go for waist up, or include the feet (but that could just be me). The colors look good, but the images are overall too dark IMO. The first thing I thought of when I looked at them was confirmed when I read your sig, they were likely shot with a 2.8 lens. While it's a fantastic lens, IMO 2.8 just doesn't cut it for fast indoor sports. It seems the 85mm 1.8 is the "magic lens" for volleyball as you are already contemplating. That might be just the ticket here, but not so sure for basketball. I typically shoot from under the basket with a 50mm and it's just about right. I think 85mm would be too tight in that situation if you are expecting to catch drives right up to the net. I started out with the Thrify Fify for about $75, so if you do find 85mm to be too tight, it's not that big of an additional investment. I've since moved on to the 50mm 1.4 and have found it to be marginally better for basketball but I'm not sure if it was worth the additional $$ just yet.

Happy shooting!

Chris

Canon 30D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Tamron 28-75 XR DI f2.8, Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, Cheap Promaster Monopod
Next planned purchase - Canon 135mm f2L

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 27, 2006 16:04 |  #4

I agree with your statement about the crops being a bit "awkward", however several of those are the full size without any cropping (is this called full crop or 100% crop?) and the action was so goo I didn't want to move the crop up higher.

I definitly need some more polishing on my PP, but I can't seem to get the colors to pop right without making some part of the image look fake or blown out. Any tips or tutorials on this?

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,284 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 27, 2006 20:39 |  #5

Exposure looks pretty good... still a blur, but considering your shooting a 2.8 lens on a 10d, these look good. Personally I am not a big fan of the through-the-net shots. I don't think it flatters anyone. Also, cathing hand on ball is always fun, but again, the extension isn't always very flattering. What I do like is your shot 7. The angle is good, the timing is really good. All that is left is to crop a little tighter. But that is the kind of shot I like and appreciate. Good start overall I would say.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,872 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Oct 28, 2006 00:43 |  #6

The outdoor group shot is actually my favourite

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

DaDeuce
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 28, 2006 10:02 |  #7

Yeah, I wish all my pictures had the same color as my ones from the beach. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 30d & a 85mm 1.8, will I notice that great of an improvement in the colors and such?

Also in picture #7, that is our backup setter winning a one handed joust with a girl who was about 6'2"

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 28, 2006 10:15 |  #8

Inbed you photos in your post and you will prob. get more looks.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

sponsored links

1,472 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some New Volleyball (CC Please)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.