Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Oct 2006 (Tuesday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I forgot to chimp my histogram, and ruined about 100 photos...

hegemon
188 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 31, 2006 20:24 |  #1

I was shooting at ISO 400 on an alternatively overcast/sunny day in AV at 8.0, trying for the sweet spot, and when I got home almost all of my photos were washed out and way too bright. Awesome. So much for the camera correctly selecting the appropriate shutter speed... and that's what I got for not checking...

doh!

dSLR newb
350D
EF-S 18-55
EF 50 f/1.8 mkII
EF 70-200 f/4.0L

sponsored links
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 31, 2006 20:26 |  #2

I shot an entire morning at ISO 3200, after playing the night before.
I've shot an entire day with IS off.
CDS used to have a big sticker on his camera that said: ISO

It happens, and it just burns the reminders into the brain.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info (external link)
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 31, 2006 22:56 |  #3

If my viewfinder didn't look through the lens, I swear I would take half my shots with the lens cap on.

Ah well. Next time will be better. At least you didn't waste film.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 31, 2006 23:03 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Live and learn. Use the histogram and shoot manual next time.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

SimonG
Goldmember
1,007 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 31, 2006 23:07 |  #5

hegemon wrote in post #2198155 (external link)
... and when I got home almost all of my photos were washed out and way too bright. ...

They were all too bright? That doesn't sound like a problem caused by your choice of ISO to me. Perhaps the camera was having a hard time metering the scenes you were shooting? :confused:

-- Michael (a.k.a. SimonG)
EOS 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.4 | 430EX | Zenfolio (external link)

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2006 23:11 |  #6

hegemon wrote in post #2198155 (external link)
I was shooting at ISO 400 on an alternatively overcast/sunny day in AV at 8.0, trying for the sweet spot, and when I got home almost all of my photos were washed out and way too bright. Awesome. So much for the camera correctly selecting the appropriate shutter speed... and that's what I got for not checking...

doh!

Bummer. I've had days like that too...once after shooting in a forest in the evening at 3200, I went the next day to the beach...again, shot the whole thing at 3200....oh and once, when I was first learning digital, I forgot to turn on the AF for the whole day...it's funny looking back on it but at the time I was completely devastated!

As the others have said, chimping, as embarrassing as it is, does help a lot!

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 01, 2006 02:29 as a reply to  @ Permagrin's post |  #7

I went out shooting today, I didn't check the +/- Exposure Setting. It was set to +2, most of my pics. didn't turn out today. I thought it would have reset to 0 when turned off and never checked it. Still learning this XT.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 01, 2006 03:02 |  #8

Well, sorry if this will sound a bit harsh but... It's not camera's fault but operator's fault ;) I really like this kind of attitude, that we blame equipment for bad photos and we are only ones who are responsible for good photos ;)
It might help that I spent quite few years on film before digital, where I didn't have any chance of "preview", so I had to do it right on first place already. But even now I usually don't check every photo. You have feeling that you know if photo is right or not. And next to this, you have "light meter" in your viewfinder too, so you can see easily if you are going way up or down from "normal" exposure. If this still isn't enough then check. You have this option nowadays, so why not to use it.
But once again... it's not camera's problem ;)

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,941 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 01, 2006 03:11 as a reply to  @ primoz's post |  #9

So were you maxing out shutter speed? Or just needed exposure compensation?

Dave
Image editing OK

hegemon
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 01, 2006 10:27 |  #10

Choderboy wrote in post #2199516 (external link)
So were you maxing out shutter speed? Or just needed exposure compensation?

probably needed exposure compensation. I agree with the person who said the metering might have been off, because IIRC it was shooting around 1/500 and most of the photos were way too bright... :(

some were at 1/200 ... metering was way off, I guess

dSLR newb
350D
EF-S 18-55
EF 50 f/1.8 mkII
EF 70-200 f/4.0L

IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Nov 01, 2006 10:39 as a reply to  @ hegemon's post |  #11

Primoz I remember the good old days of film when you had to know what you were doing and sure didn't have the luxury of making the adjustments as you shoot. Nothing worse than getting your film back to see over exposed/underexposed shots. Fortunately for me those were far and few between.
On the other hand I have been on assignments where I had to chimp to dial it in and man I love the ability to look and see what your getting at that particular setting.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 01, 2006 10:53 |  #12

I'm a serious chimper. Bust me doing it please. I've recently rediscovered the advantages of using M with static lighting and relying on ETTL to "meter". Getting better results.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 01, 2006 11:09 |  #13

liza wrote in post #2198724 (external link)
Live and learn. Use the histogram and shoot manual next time.

Exactly what I was thinking. I really like manual. I am getting ready to enjoy a day out shooting too... Gonna head downtown and stuff so I will have some shots to share this evening I hope. Going for candids.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

tweatherred
476 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 01, 2006 11:15 |  #14

primoz wrote in post #2199488 (external link)
Well, sorry if this will sound a bit harsh but... It's not camera's fault but operator's fault ...

I hear this a lot but it is not entirely true. There is a whole field of human interface design dedicated to avoiding mistakes like this; one of the gurus is Donald Norman (external link), whose writing I highly recommend. Much user error can be avoided by better design; in this case the ISO should be as easy to read on the camera as the other two components of the exposure triad, as has been pointed out repeatedly on this forum. While user error with a camera might be an annoyance, in the operating room or in an airliner cockpit it could be fatal. That is why, for example, the oxygen knob on an anesthesia machine has a different look and feel from the other knobs and there are other interlocks that make it almost impossible to not give a patient a minimum amount of oxygen.

Gear List

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,089 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 01, 2006 11:16 |  #15

I don't chimp ;) (oops, better change my avatar!)

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I forgot to chimp my histogram, and ruined about 100 photos...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.