Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 07 Nov 2006 (Tuesday) 21:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"L" Rating and Seller Feedback

msad1217
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 07, 2006 21:08 |  #1

I hate to totally steal another forums system. But, I belong to a non-photography forum and they set up a system where each member has a rating based on their knowledge/expertise/re​putation and buying/selling/trading feedback.

For example, If a member asks a photography related question and that question was answered by another member, if the OP is satisfied with the answer then the OP should be able to give that member a rating point, I would like to call this the "L" Rating points. And if anyone who is reading the post or one of the mods thought that the the member gave an excellent answer, then they could also give points. This would basically turn into a great way to boost/rate someone's reputation around the forum. So for example, since Tim has many followers, he would probably have 10,000 "L" rating points.:) But if someone was also bad, they could have points taken away from them, members can only take a point. If the mods feel that they need more points taken from them, then the mods can take as many points as they deem appropriate. This rating can of course be applied to posted photos as well.

An example of buying and/or selling feedback is when a seller posts an item up for sale, a sale was made and both parties are satisfied with the transaction, then the seller and the buyer would get 1 point each for selling and buying successfully. If a transaction goes bad, the buyer or the seller cannot take away any feedback points but maybe can take away a rating point. So, as an example for this, Ronald will have about 20,000 trader feedback (I'm exaggerating of course...Or am I?):smile:

We can start everyone with +10/-0 rating and a rating feedback of 0. Maybe we can post a rule that a member cannot take away a point if they have been a member three months or less or have less than 100 post or less than 20 rating points.

I know this will be a lot of work, just an idea that I wanted to pass on as I love how this system is working in the other forum.

I also know that there are 79,000 members here, 10X more than the forum that I mentioned, so I don't know if it is possible at all.

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

sponsored links
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 07, 2006 21:11 |  #2

we talked about this a while back. turned into a rampant flame fest, and the idea was rejected by the majority, including myself (not to mention the mods and the owner/operator of the forums). its a nice thought on face value, but it makes everythign into more of a popularity contest than it already may be. best to just leave and let alone, im just glad this is a forum where people not only get along but have fun with one another without starting too much flaming.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 07, 2006 21:27 |  #3

Billginthekeys wrote in post #2232369 (external link)
we talked about this a while back. turned into a rampant flame fest, and the idea was rejected by the majority, including myself (not to mention the mods and the owner/operator of the forums). its a nice thought on face value, but it makes everythign into more of a popularity contest than it already may be. best to just leave and let alone, im just glad this is a forum where people not only get along but have fun with one another without starting too much flaming.

And that was my concern as well with the amount of members that we have here. But it worked on the other forum because everyone did get along.

Anyway, I agree it looked great on the drawing board but could be a total mess at the end. It will just be too much to moderate.

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

chaosbunny
175 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 07, 2006 21:59 |  #4

good idea

surfjungle
53 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 08, 2006 09:12 |  #5

i'd have to agree with Billginthekeys, it'd spiral out of control. A bit like gaming sometimes, when you have to collect points etc to move up a level, it can become quite impulsive. And, as everyone is so different, a popularity contest would be inevitable. In a perfect world however ... anyhow "L rating points" would be quite a good name for it :D

14 | 50 | 60 Macro | 85 | 100 Macro | 135 | 17-40 | 24-70 | 24-105 | 70-200 | 30D | 580EX | G2541EX | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/surfjungle/sets​/ (external link) | Will and Idea

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 08, 2006 15:30 |  #6

i also agree with Billginthekeyys 100% and i am basing this on experience. i am a super moderator in a very large forum and we have talked and tested this system quite extensively and it failed. the reason it failed makes perfect sense:

if we use this forum as an example, you can see that we have quite a few members with close to 10k in posts but that doesn't mean that they have good knowledge or experience, it just means that they post a lot. on the other hand, we have a few members with "only" 200 posts but they are VERY knowledgeable and really know what they are talking about. now, the person with 9k+ posts is sure to get the highest rating just because they are "popular" and because people see that they post alot while the person that have 200 posts will only get low rating if any because he rarely posts. what will happen is that a new member will ask a question and both the member with 9k posts and the member with 200 posts will post advice and guess which one the new member will listen to even though it is clearly not the best advice or based on serious experience.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 08, 2006 17:23 |  #7

But my suggestion does not have anything to do with post count....whatsoever.

It has to do with whether or not I gave a good/proper advice about photography techniques and/or equipments.

Someone could have 200 posts but also have 200 rating points. Probably because everytime they post a message they gave a great advice/suggestion about anything photography related.

Someone could also have 10,000+ posts, and could only have, once again, 200 rating points. Probably because they spend more time talking in the General Chat section than any other part of the forum.

Do you really think I would give a point to someone whose main advise about lenses is "Always go with L lenses" and doesn't say anything else to back it up?

The buyer/seller feedback also works only if there was a transaction made and it was successful. For being a good seller and buyer, they would both get a point each for that transaction only.

Anyway, I did agree that the sheer number of members here could make this tough, but not really impossible.

-Manny
My Gear List

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2006 17:29 |  #8

it still becomes a modderators nightmare. whats to stop some pissed off punk giving people bad rep points. then the people who got points taken away have to message the mod and tell him theres no reason for that to have happenend, then the mod has to look into it, and then you have to have a whole second set of mods just to keep the system in check. the currents mods have a lot of other work to do as it is, they keep on top of the forums pretty well, but keeping a ranked point system fair for 50000 people is a full time job!

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 08, 2006 17:42 |  #9

Good enough!
!
!
!
:)

-Manny
My Gear List

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 08, 2006 17:57 |  #10

Manny, don't be depressed. This forum is filled with newbies so much, we should have stickies for the stickies. But after a few responses, you should know who know what and how much. And if you doubt an answer, just ask a moderator in a PM who you should listen to. That way, no one gets their feelings hurt. I've been corrected so many times, I don't need white out anymore. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 08, 2006 20:17 |  #11

SuzyView wrote in post #2236384 (external link)
Manny, don't be depressed. This forum is filled with newbies so much, we should have stickies for the stickies. But after a few responses, you should know who know what and how much. And if you doubt an answer, just ask a moderator in a PM who you should listen to. That way, no one gets their feelings hurt. I've been corrected so many times, I don't need white out anymore. :)

Oh, gosh no. I'm not the least bit upset or depressed. I know who to get answers from in this forum.

I think the idea I had, started first, only for the Marketplace Section. The positive feedback thread is so long, I doubt anyone bothers going through all those post. I thought it would be a good idea to maybe have a type of feedback point system for everyone who participates in it.

Anyway, I've had my cigar. Played with my son, and my new Call of Duty 3 game. Life is good.:D

-Manny
My Gear List

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2006 20:22 |  #12

msad1217 wrote in post #2236887 (external link)
Oh, gosh no. I'm not the least bit upset or depressed. I know who to get answers from in this forum.

I think the idea I had, started first, only for the Marketplace Section. The positive feedback thread is so long, I doubt anyone bothers going through all those post. I thought it would be a good idea to maybe have a type of feedback point system for everyone who participates in it.

Anyway, I've had my cigar. Played with my son, and my new Call of Duty 3 game. Life is good.:D

your a videogamer and you dont see the woas of point systems :lol: just kidding , but you got to admit sometimes it sucks the fun out of it.

yea the marketplace could have a little less confusing system, but in the end you can just type in a search for the members name, so its not that hard, but yea, i mostly would just try to buy from people on the forum i know and trust anyway.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 08, 2006 22:20 |  #13

Billginthekeys wrote in post #2236898 (external link)
your a videogamer and you dont see the woas of point systems :lol: just kidding , but you got to admit sometimes it sucks the fun out of it.

yea the marketplace could have a little less confusing system, but in the end you can just type in a search for the members name, so its not that hard, but yea, i mostly would just try to buy from people on the forum i know and trust anyway.

LOL. No, don't use online gaming, so I wouldn't know about the rating system.

I agree. All somebody needs to do is use the search function here and they really should never have to ask a question. The whole time I have been a member of this forum, I asked maybe one or two question, all I did most of the time was do a search. Which of course also explain my low, low post count.

-Manny
My Gear List

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 08, 2006 22:37 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

msad1217 wrote in post #2237297 (external link)
LOL. All somebody needs to do is use the search function here and they really should never have to ask a question. The whole time I have been a member of this forum, I asked maybe one or two question, all I did most of the time was do a search. Which of course also explain my low, low post count.

Then you're in the minority. :lol:

Seriously, there will always be repeat questions, and that isn't always a bad thing. There may be different respondents who provide a fresh perspective. As for the rating thing, I agree that it would just turn into a popularity thing. It did on Photocamel, so I just quit posting there completely.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

joegolf68
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2006 22:52 |  #15

Billginthekeys wrote in post #2232369 (external link)

Well said. If we had a rating system, I'd save the mods some work, I would leave.

Gear List
:D Peace be upon you :D

sponsored links

2,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
"L" Rating and Seller Feedback
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.