Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Nov 2006 (Tuesday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Making money from your hobby

VicS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2006 00:29 |  #16

All very valid comments ... thanks ... I do have other hobbies ... and one of my favourites is birdwatching. Having taken up photography now I find myself trying and trying to get that awesome capture and I actually spend alot more time doing the birdwatching and actually get a greater feel for the interaction of these little creatures with their environment. I just thought if there are time that you walk around and say "that would make a nice poster or something", then it would be nice to make a little side cash ... thats all !

sponsored links
peterdoomen
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

Nov 27, 2006 01:29 |  #17

I still consider photography a hobby, I still have fun doing it, yet I earn a certain amount of money with it. I do a couple of marriages each year (which can be real fun) to pay for a part of the equipment.

Then I also do stock photography, which helps you to become a better photographer, can earn quite some money, and is fun too. See this article:

http://www.aboriginemu​ndi.com …ess-with-ShutterStock.pdf (external link)

I don't see why earning money would take the joy away. Next month I'm buying the new 50L with my stock earnings. Isn't that fun?

P.

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock (external link) - Make your own Tabletop Studio (external link)- Glass Buying Guide (external link)
My ShutterStock Gallery (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2006 01:44 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Earning money takes the joy away when 95% or more of what you shoot is for pay. It's the obligation that takes the fun out of it. I work a full time job and then take photos almost every evening and weekend. Then I'm up until 2 am every morning processing the damn things. It isn't fun.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

peterdoomen
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

Nov 27, 2006 09:19 |  #19

liza wrote in post #2318060 (external link)
It's the obligation that takes the fun out of it. ... It isn't fun.

I agree. Having no deadlines is probably the reason why I still consider stock photography fun. After all, I don't have to make a living from photography.

Wedding photography can be fun too, but you need to watch out: too many weddings and you'll become struck in deadlines and obligations.

P.

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock (external link) - Make your own Tabletop Studio (external link)- Glass Buying Guide (external link)
My ShutterStock Gallery (external link)

mrbeagle
348 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 07, 2007 10:57 |  #20

ScottE wrote in post #2317472 (external link)
If you turn your hobby into a business, what are you going to do for fun?

that's an awesome quote :)

Emberghost
554 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 07, 2007 17:14 |  #21

You can always sell your images on stock photography websites. They have a mixed review here I'd say, I personally really like them. On one hand you get paid less than a buck a picture, on the other hand it has financed all my equipment below. Look into it if you feel like it. Here are a few of the main ones...

www.submit.shutterstoc​k.com (external link)
www.istockphoto.com (external link)
www.dreamstime.com (external link)

20d | 7D | sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro | 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f2.8L
My Website (external link)

rancher
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2007 21:56 as a reply to  @ Emberghost's post |  #22

Guys,
I have been talking pictures for a few years now working my pictures into my clients websites that I develope.

I just purchase a new canon digital camera and really enjoy using it. I like keeping my photo shots as a hobby and keep my website developement as my business. The only problem I see more and more, my friends are starting to ask for my work on the photo side and I am trying to keep this as a hobby.

The equiptment is very much over price.

www.pontchartrainpcser​vices.com (external link)

PS... I just starting using this forum and I really enjoy it...
Thanks guys...

Pontchartrain PC Services - Website Designs - Photography hobbist
http://pontchartrainpc​services.com/ (external link)

bbqKing
"...less likely to get nailed"
1,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 20, 2007 22:12 |  #23

I shoot for pay every so often and the more i do it the more i hate it. Photography is what i do to get away and not think of work or the worlds problems, I just get in my own little world

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 20, 2007 23:43 |  #24

bbqKing wrote in post #3583876 (external link)
Photography is what i do to get away and not think of work or the worlds problems, I just get in my own little world

I think a lot of us would agree.
I also think that most amateurs would like the feeling of their first sale. To confirm that they are good enough that someone would want to buy their work.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sgamuk
410 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 22, 2007 01:39 |  #25

Originally Posted by ScottE
If you turn your hobby into a business, what are you going to do for fun?

mrbeagle wrote in post #3502655 (external link)
that's an awesome quote :)

i agree.

5D mk1 + Grip | 24-105L | 85L II | 135L | 70-200L mk2 | Kenko 1.4X TC | 580EX II

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."--Albert Einstein

sponsored links

3,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
Making money from your hobby
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.