Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Nov 2006 (Monday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stock photography requirements

jcw122
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 27, 2006 21:54 |  #16

I'm going to jump in and say...

I don't see Stock Photography as anything very creative at all. I don't really think of it as a real form of photography. It's just photography of simple objects, for eventual commercial or public use, and it doesn't seem to take much skill or creativity compared to nearly everything else I've seen on the forums.

What do you guys think of my thoughts? Not trying to bash Stock Photography (ok I sorta am), but it to me it just seems like an easy way to make $$$ from photography, which doesn't take alot of skill.

"Ill show you."-John Hammond
Gear List
:D "YES! I AM INVINSIBLE!"-Boris

sponsored links
glacebay
166 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2006 00:58 |  #17

jcw122 wrote in post #2322170 (external link)
but it to me it just seems like an easy way to make $$$ from photography, which doesn't take alot of skill.

I think the point the one gentlemen is making is 'Statically Speaking' you have a greater ROI from micro because of the shear volume. However, I have experience in neither so what the heck do I know =)

I have to disagree with the skill factor. Post-Processing is an art in itself. It's one thing to pull a picture off the camera and VOILA! But it's another to touch it up and make it look great! Plus it takes a little vision. Sure, ANYONE can throw photo's on there, but not everyone is making a tun of cash.

Ahhh You got to love Capitalism! Supply and Demand!

Broke Newb,
JM

Currently 100% Supply with 0% Demand

Jason McDonald
http://jasonmphotos.co​m (external link)

munchy
141 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 28, 2006 01:34 |  #18

glacebay wrote in post #2322723 (external link)
Currently 100% Supply with 0% Demand

So very true... LOL!

peterdoomen
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Lier, Flanders (northern, flemish speaking part of Belgium)

Nov 28, 2006 01:36 |  #19

glacebay wrote in post #2322723 (external link)
I have to disagree with the skill factor.

Indeed, you need skill. And also, stock *can* be very creative.

In fact, buyers are looking not only for boring product images, but also for creative angles, new views for the same subject.

Graphics designers and editors want images with impact. And making these is quite a challenge. I know for sure I am a better photographer now than before I was doing stock.

PeteR.

Canon EOS 20D | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS + Hoya UV Filter | Canon Extender 1.4x | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.2L mk II | Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-f/4| Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Tokina 100 f/2.8 macro | Kenko extension tubes | Canon Speedlite 420 EX & Sto-fen Omnibounce| 80GB Flashtrax | Manfrotto Tripod 190 pro B & Joystick 322RC2 | Lowepro Micro Trekker 200
PDFs: Make money with ShutterStock (external link) - Make your own Tabletop Studio (external link)- Glass Buying Guide (external link)
My ShutterStock Gallery (external link)

jcw122
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 28, 2006 08:25 |  #20

I can see the work and creativity put into stock photography, now that I did a bit more reading. It definately seems like it takes a bit of work.

I think what I mean, instead of saying it doesn't take skill or creativity, is that the actual shots lack creativity and soul. They just seem like pictures, that do not nessesarily convey thoughts, ideas, or feelings of the photographer.

I am excited to get into stock photography though. I think it will be able to help my editing and more technical skills, which as of now, I have none of heheh.

Gear List

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,766 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 28, 2006 12:31 |  #21

to me it just seems like an easy way to make $$$ from photography, which doesn't take alot of skill.

And what's wrong with that?? Do you have something against money? If you do send some my way, I could use it to buy more equipment.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

jcw122
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 28, 2006 14:27 |  #22

Ray Marrero wrote in post #2324649 (external link)
And what's wrong with that?? Do you have something against money? If you do send some my way, I could use it to buy more equipment.

Read my second post too, I'm basically just ranting.

I'm going to try Stock Photography...a 17 year old needs funds for this expensive hobby!

Gear List

glacebay
166 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 28, 2006 23:28 |  #23

jcw122 wrote in post #2325034 (external link)
Read my second post too, I'm basically just ranting.

I'm going to try Stock Photography...a 17 year old needs funds for this expensive hobby!

I'm 30+ and married. Aka I need to smuggle/laundry my funds for this expensive hobby *laffs*

Jason McDonald
http://jasonmphotos.co​m (external link)

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 28, 2006 23:38 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

I don't see Stock Photography as anything very creative at all. I don't really think of it as a real form of photography. It's just photography of simple objects, for eventual commercial or public use, and it doesn't seem to take much skill or creativity compared to nearly everything else I've seen on the forums.

What do you guys think of my thoughts? Not trying to bash Stock Photography (ok I sorta am), but it to me it just seems like an easy way to make $$$ from photography, which doesn't take alot of skill.

then I would do more research on the subject.

stock can be any kind of photo. you really need to shoot with it being a stock photo in mind, as there are certain things you need to do to make it sellable, but it is in every way as creative as any thing else in the industry.

It isn't a easy way to make money, as it requires not only a lot of knowledge on shooting for it, but also managing the images, releases, payments, copyrights etc.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

7,608 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stock photography requirements
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.