Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Sep 2006 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fisheye vs Ultra Wide Angle ?

dougyang
22 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 06, 2006 12:54 |  #1

Out of curiosity, does a 15mm fisheye cover more range than a 10mm rectilinear ? How do these compare after debarralizing ? I'm using a 10D with a 1.5x crop.

sponsored links
Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2006 13:23 |  #2

for you the 15mm fisheye won't cover all that much area. the 15mm fisheye is meant for full frame cameras to get 180 degree coverage (from one corner to the opposite corner). If you want that on your 10d you'd need to buy the peleng 8mm fisheye which you can get on ebay pretty cheaply and i think I also saw a thread on here about someone organizing a group discount for peleng 8mm fisheyes...might want to look into that.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 06, 2006 19:58 |  #3

I don't know the figures but about the same. If you are interested in getting wide shots on a cropped sensor, I'd suggest an ultrawide vs. a 15mm fisheye.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2006 22:46 as a reply to  @ Tee Why's post |  #4

Tee Why wrote:
I don't know the figures but about the same. If you are interested in getting wide shots on a cropped sensor, I'd suggest an ultrawide vs. a 15mm fisheye.

15mm really isn't that wide on a cropped sensor. that's why nikon, sigma (i believe), and peleng all sell 8mm fisheyes. you don't get the fisheye effect very much and you don't get a very wide field of view.

ultrawide is like the 10-22, which would actually give you a much wider field of view than that 15mm fisheye.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

SurfKahakai
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 07, 2006 00:39 |  #5

I love my fisheye but wish I picked up a 10-22 instead. The fish just isn't fishy with my 20D.

Prescott, AZ
www.benquesinberry.com (external link)

stumpy
71 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 07, 2006 03:39 |  #6

To echo what everyone else has said really - the 15mm on a crop is really justa WA. Works well for me.

Canon EOS 20D
Canon EOS RT
EF 200mm f2.8 L
Sigma EX DC 18-50 f2.8
Sigma 15mm f2.8 EX DG
Domke F1

BruceC
751 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 07, 2006 04:08 |  #7

what makes a fish-eye? is 10mm fish differnt from a regular 10mm?

www.ABCshots.com (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 07, 2006 06:50 as a reply to  @ BruceC's post |  #8

BruceC wrote:

there's a fishbowl effect, the image is distorted... I don't have any images myself but google fisheye and you should get some :) You'll recognise it as soon as you see it.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 07, 2006 07:06 |  #9

A fisheye lens has a field of view of 180 degrees. The circular fisheye, like the Sigma 8mm, has a 180 degree field of view in all directions while the 15mm fisheye has a 180 degree field of view along the diagonal. A rectilinear lens can never cover 180 degees field of view. A 15mm fishy is wider than a 14mm rectilinear lens.

On a crop camera the 15mm fishy has a field of view (diagonal) of about 113 degrees. If defished the diagonal field of view is ~104 degrees. This is equivalent to a ~12mm lens on the 1.6 crop cameras.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

adam*
Goldmember
4,411 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 07, 2006 08:29 |  #10

If I had the money i'd buy the Canon 10-22 straight away, the wideness of it is amazing. Then again if I did alot of skate shots i'd consider the Peleng. Depends on what you need it for really.

:: For sale: 70-200 2.8L :: Nikon D700 ::
:: my site :: www.pbase.com/adamgray​photography (external link) ::

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 07, 2006 14:10 |  #11

The 10-xx zoom will give you a wider field of view than the 15 mm fisheye on an APS-C (1.6X) camera. I note that you mention a 10D in the first post, so the EF-S lens is out, but there are a couple of alternatives from Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron.

Here's a 16 mm shot off the back deck with a 16 mm lens on full-frame. The equivalent field of view of 16 mm on full-frame is 10 mm on the 10D, 20D, or other 1.6X camera:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/66464659.jpg

And the 30D with the 15 mm fisheye attached:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/66464884.jpg

I took the two at different times of day, and I did not try to equalize the exposure, saturation & contrast so they do look a bit different. The whole purpose was to illustrate the difference in wideness.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

dougsmit
143 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 27, 2006 13:32 |  #12

BruceC wrote in post #1952736 (external link)

Fisheye and normal lenses have different ways of distorting a round world onto a flat photo. Regular 'rectilinear' lenses keep straight lines straight but make things near the corners abnormally large compared to the centers. Fisheye maintain the size relationships better but bend straight lines unless they pass through the center. Opinions differ as to which is better but most people seem to prefer rectilinear. I am in the minority. I offer a lot more in the way of opinions on the matter (with illustrations) on my Peleng and Zenitar pages. In truth, we need a lens of each type to cover everything so which you buy will depend on which type photo is most appealing or most disturbing to your eye. There are programs that allow 'defishing' fisheye shots. I find that often I decide to partly defish an image so it does not go over the edge and trade in the fisheye 'faults' for the rectilinear 'faults'. Each will have to decide what is best for themself.
http://home.comcast.ne​t/~dougsmit/fisheye.ht​ml (external link)
http://home.comcast.ne​t/~dougsmit/fisheyez.h​tml (external link)

Doug Smith
http://www.pbase.com/d​ougsmit (external link)

BruceC
751 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 28, 2006 14:11 |  #13

thanks dougsmit and looks like some good info on your web page. but how did you find such ah old thread?

www.ABCshots.com (external link)

jev
167 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2006 18:58 |  #14

Here is fisheye 16mm on 5D

This is actually russian lense zenitar

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/100/308690395_0c9f306687_o.jpg

lot's of fun

5d, 350D, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Peleng 8mm, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 L, Canon Speedlite 430EX
Jev
http://blog.artq.com (external link)
http://artq.smugmug.co​m/ (external link)

Warby
514 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Nov 28, 2006 21:13 as a reply to  @ jev's post |  #15

Here are a couple of images taken with the Peleng 8mm on a 1.6 crop camera (D60). They will give you an idea of the distortion and sensor coverage that you get with this circular fisheye lens.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Paul

sponsored links

11,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fisheye vs Ultra Wide Angle ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.