Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Dec 2006 (Tuesday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you guys get your IDEAS?

tha_23_greatest
58 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 05, 2006 21:47 |  #1

I'm starting to get into photography and its one thing that i want to know.How do you guys come up with ideas of what to shoot. Does it just come to mind and happens on its own, or do you guys sit and think of ideas?:rolleyes:

sponsored links
deadpass
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 05, 2006 21:53 |  #2

alot of the time I'll see something in print or on tv or a movie and think, that's kinda cool, but it could be better, so then I work on making it better. Or sometimes things just come into my head.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 05, 2006 21:53 |  #3

tha_23_greatest wrote in post #2359629 (external link)
I'm starting to get into photography and its one thing that i want to know.How do you guys come up with ideas of what to shoot. Does it just come to mind and happens on its own, or do you guys sit and think of ideas?:rolleyes:

Oops. Maybe that's where I've been failing. I'd better watch this thread!

Somehow I know I should be having an idea before shooting, usually it's just for practice for when something worthy presents itself.

I'll "go shooting nothing in particular" and waste photos for about 2 hours then something magical happens, I'll feel the creative juices flowing and that welcome feeling "ohhh, that will be a keeper" both just before and just after taking the shot - then have fun for a while until it goes away.

I think a concept of what'll work is a combo of prior failures/successes and new ideas. It's so often that PP is full of surprises of what worked (or not), ergo my reason for continued wasting of further frames. Gradually; I'm getting a feeling of how it'll play out on screen or print.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Mcary
978 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2006 21:59 |  #4

Books, magazines, walking down the street, the voices in my head. "Thats my idea!" "No I came up with it first." "Why don't both of you shut-up! The last idea you two came-up with had some poor girl sitting naked for two hours in a un heated building."

OMG I saw a nipple, my eye's are bleeding!
Visit http://www.mcaryphoto.​net (external link) (Nudity) warning most images found on this website were shot with cheap plastic lens (50mm 1.4 85 1.8 and 35 2.0)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 05, 2006 22:16 |  #5

...just walking around, carefully observing the way light will play on common every day objects, and give it a unique shading, or texture or aspect that you usually don't notice. Or isolating a smaller part of a larger object or subject in such a way that this piece takes on new meaning separate from the original.

I find my greatest inspiration in either early morning or late afternoon when the quality of the angled light makes shapes FAR more interesting than at mid day. Light hitting an object at an angle will always reveal its texture and dimension better than the head-on blast. Shadows can be totally fascinating and create some fantastic images. Don't rush through life...... slow down and smell the photons. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

daclozer
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 05, 2006 22:39 |  #6

I agree totally. A lot of times I go to a specific place to shoot specific tpyes of shots. I have found that sometimes if I just kind of relax and enjoy being where I am at, I will see something that maybe I would have missed otherwise. I am constantly looking or a great shot or concept for a shoot, especially when I am driving. I love sunsets and landscapes, so I am always on the lookout.

2 30D/BG-E2
70-200L f2.8 Canon
28-75mm f2.8 Tamron
www.freezeframefoto.bi​z (external link)
http://www.etsy.com/sh​op/freezeframefoto (external link)

bdpAKAknox
282 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 06, 2006 00:25 |  #7

I have my subjects down pretty well, what i work on is how i shoot them. I hate to say it but i look at other photographers techniques and try to reproduce them myself.

flickR (external link)

nevilleb
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 06, 2006 00:41 |  #8

Walk around. Look. See. Choose a theme, any theme.

A lack of ideas ususally stems from too much preoccupation with self or other issues. Issules like office work or the like. Anything which keeps you from exploring the world like a child does.

Take a walk in the garden. See the ants? What if you were to document them? See the world like them?

See the leaf? It's just a leaf, right? Go closer. Check out the pattern of veins on it. Feel it's texture. Absorb it's color....

Go explore!

nevilleb

Neville Bulsara
Photography Workshops, Photo Tours & Expeditions to India for the Discerning Photographer (external link)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Dec 06, 2006 00:42 as a reply to  @ bdpAKAknox's post |  #9

There are a few great threads in the member activities section that can also help inspire you to think about photography in different ways. One is the ongoing WWPD (world wide photo day) series -- a theme a weekend for you to interpret and see how others interpret. The other is the relatively new "back to basics" series.

I feel a lot better about my technical skills than my artistic skills, and both of those threads have helped me think of (and shown me how other approach) new ways of seeing.

There are some real masters posting on these forums. Seeing what they do, and then applying it to your environment is a great learning experience.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

Nikolas
Goldmember
1,720 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 06, 2006 02:36 |  #10

I just let the moment happen and whatever transpires.
I look for thing like light patterns etc.

Canon 5D2 20D & 300D 50mm f1.8 mk 2, 24-105 f4 IS L
Tokina 12-24 f4
ATX PRO, 400mm f5.6 ATX apo
Sigma 28-70mm f2.8
EX DG, 120-300mm f2.8 EX DG
Tamron SP pro TC 1.4 and KENKO 2x teleplus pro 300DG and lots of m42 lenses

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 06, 2006 05:34 |  #11

i belong to a camera club, and they make me think outside my square. I also read lots of photography books/mags, and browse here regularly. I guess the rest sort of flows on from there.

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 06, 2006 05:36 |  #12

Aha! You shoot MF 2 1/4 x 2 1/4?:lol:

catsith wrote in post #2360938 (external link)
i belong to a camera club, and they make me think outside my square. ..............

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 06, 2006 05:36 |  #13

Bryan Peterson

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,649 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Dec 06, 2006 10:20 |  #14

I keep a little notebook where I jot down photographic ideas as they come to me or as I find them online or in the bookstore. By that, I mean, I look for inspiration from other photographers via their online portfolio or via published books. I don't try to copy specific photographs, but I do enjoy looking at various techniques and I seek to emulate them with my own interpretation.

I usually don't try this right away, but jot the idea down in my notebook and then work on it a few months later after I've had time to consider it.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,589 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 06, 2006 10:20 |  #15

The more you shoot, the more you learn how to get what you need, which inspires what you do the next time you shoot. The better that you understand your equipment & M settings, the more tools you have to work with? I want to spend my time looking at the subject & free up my brain to look for possibilities & think of variations & see what's happening in the background & foreground & is this a better angle & maybe try for less DOF &... &... &...,
Try to build an engine sometime with only a screwdriver & crescent wrench? :D

Why "M" exposure? By now, most of you know that I don't like having the cam "evaluate" anything for me & interpret the results. I make enough misTaKes of my own without compounding them with those with what I'd call a false evaluation.
YES, you can learn how to set up the cam to compensate. So you're compensating for the compensation? Manual settings work for me. When they don't, it's because I screwed up, & RAW will usually save me (again). There's too much going up in my brain to wonder what the cam is thinking THIS time. I want it to do JUST what I tell it to do. No more. No less. So I don't have to think about how much compensation to give it for this shot, & that shot, and the next shot & how much that will change when I zoom in or out. Keeping it simple leaves me free to think about other things.

Start with anything. Shooting is a process for me. Someone once said that if you have an idea, write it down & that frees up your brain to come up with more. Same for pics. Shoot anything to start. Chimp. Move around. Shoot some more. Chimp some more. As ideas come to you, shoot them. Chimp. Move around. Shoot some more, Etc. I usually "plan" on throwing the first 80% away. It's the process that counts. When you know you have it "in the can", shoot some more. Sometimes it's that last shot that really does it!
With film & a new model, I'd shoot with 2 cams, one empty just to give them time to loosen up. ;-)a

Then there's the alternative to "shotgunning":
Years ago, I took a trip to the zoo when I was a full-time pro. I'd been going out on assignment & shooting a minimum of 60 rolls per day & bracketing like crazy to be sure that I came back with good exposures & I wondered if I had lost the ability to shoot selectively. (Bracketing also gives you extra shots for the portfolio, & allows you to split up the processing runs so that if you lose a roll in the lab, you have only lost one situation) ;)
So I went to the zoo with a 50mm, a 1,000mm, & one 20 exposure roll of B&W film. (Color can save your a**, but B&W is more demanding).
I came back with 4 shots that I liked enough to blow up to 16" X 20".

Shoot every day & have fun doing it. Build up your own "experience file". Plan for what you need to get in the shot & let the happy accidents happen along the way.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

4,737 views & 7 likes for this thread
How do you guys get your IDEAS?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.