Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Dec 2006 (Monday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Touching up a digital picture

Dedeaux
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 11, 2006 18:07 |  #1

Thank ya'll for allowing me into your Canon forum. I did my homework for a few weeks before purchasing my new Canon 30D, 70-200 f2.8 L lens, and 24-70 f2.8 L lens. I am a novice, before hurricane Katrina I owned a Canon AE-1. This is a pretty big jump for me. 3 weeks ago I didn't even know what an L lens was. I had purchased an XTI on an Impulse buy because It was on sale I brought it back after doing my homework. Thank god for doing my homework and this forum.
I have one question. I would like to touch up a photo from this weekend. I took a picture of my sons this weekend but there is a piece of wire hanging behind one of them. Is there something in the Canon software I can touch this photo up with.

Thanks again

sponsored links
Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 11, 2006 18:38 |  #2

Adobe photoshop elements should have come with your camera; try using the clone tool.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 11, 2006 18:54 |  #3

Attached is a little jpg I did in 30 seconds to get rid of the palm tree.

The circled icon is the clone tool.
Before using it; you need to tell Adobe where you want it to pull the info to clone from;
I chose the area circled by the red circle in the sky. To select it; hold down the ALT key and click where you want to sample from.

I typically make 3-4 passes over an area; with the Opacity set at 50%
The second picture (bottom) is after 1 pass. The third pic on the right is after 4-5 passes. I hadn't cloned the rooftop yet so you can still see the 'stump' near the roofline.

This should be enough to get you going. Some here highly recommend creating a layer for this stuff; but I'll start you out slowly. Remember to never save over the top of your original file so you can always revert to it and start again.

Good luck and ask questions if you get stuck!
-TD

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Miyagi-san
Goldmember
2,129 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 11, 2006 19:10 |  #4

lol, I too just jumped from an AE-1 to a digi rebel...well, a canon point and shoot in between, but I didn't really like it/use it much....I miss the AE-1 manual focus view, but that's about it. oh, I also love my old shutter button! :)

quite a difference ain't it? :D

good luck

".....Nice camera! .....How many times zoom?!?"

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 11, 2006 20:13 |  #5

Good job, Tom. In case Dedeaux doesn't have PSE, I'm moving this to PP.

And,

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/welcome.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Jonathan ­ Consiglio
294 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2006 20:26 |  #6

I can do it for you. I sent you an email through this forum. Reply if you want me to, or PM me. Hope I can help.

www.consigliophotograp​hy.com (external link)

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 11, 2006 21:26 |  #7

Ha. I just jumped from a Leica M3 to a Minolta Maxxum 7, to my first digital, 30D.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

sponsored links

1,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
Touching up a digital picture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.