Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2006 (Monday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1D FINALLY here!

ray_lam5
206 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 14, 2006 17:53 as a reply to  @ post 2378357 |  #406

:lol: RIGHT - SOFTWARE LINKS FOR NEW 1D OWNERS
PLEASE FORWARD PEOPLE TO THIS POST!

AS promised I said i would post how to get started customising your 1D if it came without a firewire cable and software discs.

The steps are as follows

1: Purchase a suitable firewire cable over on fl'ebay for $5 and await patiently with your new 1D admiring the solid feel of its body.

2: The 1D and your PC now need to sync together so you need to download Twain utility from

http://www.canon.com.a​u …al_slr/eos1d_dr​ivers.html (external link)

there are a lot of other relevant software packages you can dowload but these can come later

3: The ultimate aim is to get a current copy of canons excellent Digital Photo Professional software which allows you to customise your raw file workflow. to do this you need to have a copy of the original FVU (file utility viewer 1st edition) and then upgrade it to the updated v1.3.2. and then you can upgrade to EVU (EOs utility Viewer). From memory you then have the software to install the latest DPP

4: Obtain Raw image convertor, this lets you bypass having the initial FVU so you can install the update in link (2.)

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …tegoryid=314&mo​delid=8294 (external link)

Download Digial Photo Professional updater 2.0.3, file viewer utility v.1.3.2

5: Install all the software whatever it is... File viewer utility updates and eos viewer utility are amongst these links.

6: Install DPP Version 1
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …modelid=7474#Ne​w%20Window (external link)

or here - enter your serial number

http://web.canon.jp/Im​aging/sdl/dpp-e.html (external link)

7: Install the latest DPP

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …egoryid=314&mod​elid=10598 (external link)

click on driver/software to select firmware upgrades

8. My memory now ceases to function and all i know is all the software is provided in the links above and you need to install each one to enable installation of DPP. you will then have a full customisation of the 1D and access to Picture Styles which Lightstream has been raving about it really is awesome. New style are posted here by canon reguarly so download and experiment.

http://web.canon.jp …turestyle/file/​index.html (external link)

Finally once you have done all this it will be worth searching for some custom curve files for straight out of the camera jpegs. I found it but have no recollection of where sure it was in an archive post over at fredmiranda so do a search.

Apologies about the dodgy grammar and english but im tired and I cant be bothered checking it through but do trust this information helps, i sure wish i had this when i got my 1d.... I will edit this post when i have a bit more time and make it more coherent but if you have any questions just post them here.

ENJOY THE CAMERA

Ray

5D, 50, 85

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 14, 2006 18:55 |  #407

Excellent, thank you very much!! Your post is well written.. very useful stuff.

according ­ to ­ jim
441 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 15, 2006 03:15 as a reply to  @ Lightstream's post |  #408

Will this also work with the 1D Mark II?

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 15, 2006 03:36 |  #409

Congrats ;)

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Website (external link)

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

Dbix
374 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 25, 2006 16:31 as a reply to  @ calicokat's post |  #410

that should be stickied

Flickr (external link)

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 29, 2007 23:33 |  #411

Resurrecting this thread...I am expecting to welcome another 1D owner to the Cult of the Classic ;)

Yes I sold my 1D to someone else.. but pointed them to this thread and its wealth of information. I went back to a 30D.. turns out that I like it. I know I didn't initially, but my comments are pretty dated now.

august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
3,126 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 30, 2007 00:27 |  #412

A 1D guy going to a 30D...now there's something you don't see every day.

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 30, 2007 00:35 |  #413

Nope you don't....but I don't have many regrets. I don't find I NEED the special capabilities of the 1-series a whole lot.. I'm probably not in that target audience. It was wonderful to have been there, though.

Stackinchips
237 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2007 01:45 as a reply to  @ Lightstream's post |  #414

Lol tell us the truth(the real reason behind the switch)... it was the high ISO noise & banding wasn't it? :oops:

That's one reason I couldn't keep my 1D, though I could handle the noise... just the thought in the back of my head bothered me enough to the point where I went out and bought the MKII

Canon 24-70 F/2.8L
Alien Bee's
http://www.myspace.com​/jdiazphoto (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,967 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2007 02:27 as a reply to  @ Stackinchips's post |  #415

I am waiting, i feel (only feel) that another 1-series is coming on the way;)

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 30, 2007 02:50 |  #416

Stackinchips wrote in post #2624154 (external link)
Lol tell us the truth(the real reason behind the switch)... it was the high ISO noise & banding wasn't it? :oops:

No no.. I wanted to go and buy a Sigma 18-200 and be the point and shoot tourist using the popup flash again! ;)

Actually, I'm not familiar with 1D noise to be honest. I had the 5D, which is pretty much as-good-as-it-gets right now in terms of ISO performance, so I got the 5D to do all the low light work. The 1D shot outdoor sports, where it could reach the minimum 1/500 sec shutter speed required for full 8fps drive rate. Usually it got 1/2000 anyway, which was good for freezing action. That's one of its greatest strengths, so that's where I deployed it.

Another tip is shoot controlled bursts.. there really is no point in holding down 8fps and running out of buffer.

Above ISO 400, where I used it, it was pretty much as good as the 350D.

joeflux
224 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 04, 2007 22:54 |  #417

Stackinchips wrote in post #2624154 (external link)

That's one reason I couldn't keep my 1D, though I could handle the noise... just the thought in the back of my head bothered me enough to the point where I went out and bought the MKII

I don't miss my classic 1D that I took back. I did notice the noise levels and banding and I hated it. My 10D seems so much more sharp too. I guess I was spoiiled by newer CMOS technology and I was against CCD even though larger sized. I wish I had the money to buy the 1D MkII like you did. That's the best! For now I will hold off.

Canon 1D Mark II N * Canon D30 * Canon PowerShot SD500 * Sony T100
Canon 580EX, Canon 17-35mm f/2.8 L
Canon 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 05, 2007 00:38 |  #418

Interesting - I never saw banding on mine.

There is a 1.4.x firmware update on Canon's website that seems to address this issue. My 1D came with 1.4.0 installed and had no problems. High serial number - probably one of those produced later down the line.

Steiglitz
Goldmember
1,526 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Location: Lake George, NY State, Supposed Arrogant, but Not really....

Feb 05, 2007 07:47 |  #419

Glad to see LightStream came to his senses...the 1D is a dog of a camera....sure great ergonomics, speed, build, but all that aside, 4mp, bad enlargements, bad noise at ISO 800 and faster...I'd rather have a Rebel XTi for better image quality.

Gear is essential, but often has little to do with composition, pictures, and art...Alfred Steiglitz :lol:

Canon 5D, Canon 1D Mark II, All L primes from 14mm through 200mm. All L zooms from 16mm through 400mm. 2.0x TC

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 05, 2007 07:48 |  #420

Steiglitz wrote in post #2657641 (external link)
Glad to see LightStream came to his senses...the 1D is a dog of a camera....sure great ergonomics, speed, build, but all that aside, 4mp, bad enlargements, bad noise at ISO 800 and faster...I'd rather have a Rebel XTi for better image quality.

Easy for you to say.... if I had enough $$ it would have been a 1Dm2N from the get go, but.. that is not to be. Still isn't going to be.

I usually sent the 5D out on missions where I needed the MP and lowlight performance - so that was all good.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

73,816 views & 0 likes for this thread, 67 members have posted to it.
1D FINALLY here!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.