Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2006 (Wednesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I will be going to london

Liam:
533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 20, 2006 10:06 |  #1

I will be going to london after christmas mainly to do some night photography, but ive got the whole day aswell. Im taking my tripods, 350d with kit lens, 75-300 and 50mm 1.8.
Where are the best places to go both at night and day.

thanks for any advice
liam

Liam.

gear

http://sussexbirdphoto​graphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2006 10:35 |  #2

You do do worse than starting at Monument (taking a few shots of Tower Bridge) and walking along the Thames along the Embankment down to Westminster. From there, it's a relatively short walk to Downing St, the Cenotaph, and Trafalgar Square.

It depends really on what kinds of situations you'd like to shoot.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Liam:
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 20, 2006 10:58 |  #3

mainly the thames and some car light shots

thanks for the advice

Liam.

gear

joe.morgan
510 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 20, 2006 11:01 as a reply to  @ Liam:'s post |  #4

At night i would say soho, picadally cirus, oxford street, thames and tower bridge, if you can get there winsor castle - looks beautiful at nite. Go up the london eye too!

Joe Morgan - Freelance Sports Photographer
w. www.joemorganphotograp​hy.com (external link)
t. twitter.com/mrjoemorga​n (external link)
f. facebook.com/joemorgan​photography (external link)

philb10
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 20, 2006 11:02 |  #5

Whereabouts are you staying and for how long?
As Pete says, it depends upon what kind of situations/places you'd like to photography.
There is a lot of architecture in London (the Thames walk is really good, I used to work on the North Side and know it quite well), especially the City - not just big buildings like the Bank of England and the Royal Exchange, but also churches, pubs, St Paul's, etc. Okay, St Paul's is big!
We also have lots of parks - Richmond, St James, Hyde, to name a few (http://www.royalparks.​gov.uk (external link)) - which may be good for Winter scenes.
Then there are areas like Brick Lane, Covent Garden, Borough Market, Greenwich, Camden Town.
Let us know more about what your interests are.
You may want to get a tube map and use that to base your photographic itinerary.

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2006 11:02 |  #6

That walk would take you a while (maybe 2 hours or so), but you'll get plenty of the sights from the Thames there and a few bridges for traffic trails (especially Westminster Bridge if you can get the parliament building behind).

Just keep a good guard on your gear, you don't want any scallys running off with your kit.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2006 11:06 |  #7

Don't bother to go to St Pauls with those lenses though, you can't get far enough away from the building (even when I had the 24-105) to get it all in without huge amounts of distortion. Also be aware that you'll probably not be allowed to take any shots inside buildings without prior authorisation.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Liam:
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 20, 2006 12:32 |  #8

thanks for alll the advice greatly appreciated
does anyone know of a website with a good map of the area, to try and point out these place.
i live in guildford (south of london) but know the area pretty well

liam

Liam.

gear

Rebecka
506 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2006 08:23 |  #9

This is my stock answer for London photography. When I get around to putting together a web site I will probably improve and update it!

One of the exits of Oxford Circus (Central, Victoria, Bakerloo lines) is Argyll Street which is pretty active, sometimes has street entertainers, and some interesting architecture in the area. Although I have not taken advantage of it myself, it always seems to me to be a pretty photogenic spot for street photography.

It also leads into Carnaby Street, famous in the 60s for its fashion and music stores but these days is mostly the usual chain stores, while Oxford Circus is at the junction of Oxford Street and Regent Street, London's main shopping streets. Oxford Street is the more main stream, Regent Street has the better architecture.

The actual City of London itself is pretty small, famously being one square mile, and so easy to walk around, Bank station (Central, Northern, Waterloo & City, DLR) sits at its centre. Though like most financial districts unless you want to see bankers or buildings there is not much else going on. Near Monument station (District, Circle) is the monument to the great fire of London, and has a viewing platform at the top which is only a few pounds and is supposed to have great views, though it means climbing a 200 foot staircase! Bank and Monument stations are linked.

The monument sits on the southern end of London Bridge, itself not very interesting but as the next one along from Tower Bridge it gives great views to one of London's most photographed attractions. It also gives access for walking up and down the river.

Also in the city to the East of Bank and the monument is the Lloyd's Building on Lime Street, which was designed 'inside-out' so all the stairwells, conduits etc. are on the outside making the space better inside the building. And there is also on of London's newest towers, the Swiss Re Building on St Mary Axe, aka the Gherkin.

Heading West from Bank takes you St Pauls' Cathedral, and following Ludgate Hill from there it turns into Fleet Street, formally the main location of Britain's press, and at the end where it becomes the Strand sits the Royal Courts of Justice, home to the highest courts in the country. As well as the chance to see barristers (lawyers) and judges running around in robes and wigs, the courts are open to the public.

Personally I find Soho to be a bit boring (great for vegan food though!), this is the area borded by Regent Street, Oxford Street, Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road. Piccadilly Circus (Piccadilly, Bakerloo) though, at the Junction of Shaftesbury Avenue and Regent Street, is interesting and Coventry Street leads from there to Leicester Square which is where the London movie premieres take place. And immediately to the north of that is Chinatown. You could also use Leicester Square station (Piccadilly, Northern [Charing Cross branch]). Heading east from here leads to Covent Garden which is home to a craft market and usually a lot of street entertainers. While it has its own station (Piccadilly), it is small and often closes due to overcrowding as platform access is only by lift or a spiral staircase.

To the south of Leicester Square you come to Trafalgar Square, home to Nelson's Column, the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery (some exhibitions are charged, but there are free photographic exhibits too). Nelson's Column sits at the top of Whitehall which houses many government buildings, including Downing Street, the office of the Prime Minister, protected by a large fence and armed officers, before culminating in Parliament Square, and the houses of Parliament. Turn onto Westminster Bridge and you come to face London's other most photographed attraction, the London Eye.

I am going to stop now as I am beginning to sound like I work for the tourist board! The above (well maybe except the city) are the 'obvious' tourist locations to see and do, and for good reason, but most of central London has something to offer. If you want to be more more unique just get off of a train anywhere and just walk around and you will find quiet squares, bustling streets, etc. Roughly speaking, the east side of zone one is the city, the west side are the more affluent neighbourhoods, while between them sits the west end.

If you are into people watching and interesting neighbourhoods I would also recommend Camden (Camden Town station on the Northern line) though this is in zone two just north of Euston and Kings Cross station. Primrose Hill (west of Camden, and across the road from Regents Park) gives decent views across London, while the canal from Regent's Park goes through the centre of Camden and towards east London which is interesting to walk along.

Michael.

Comments, bribes, criticism, bribes, irrelevant anecdotes, and bribes always welcome.
EXIF is available inside all my photos, though bribes are still recommended anyway.

chris ­ clements
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 21, 2006 08:33 |  #10

"the whole day" to do London !
Should have it pretty well buttoned-down by teatime, so you can do Wales or Scotland as well before supper :)

Zilly
Cream of the Crop
5,086 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2006 08:45 |  #11

theres always ace cafe

for something a bit diffrent

Dom
Follow my adventures on twitter (external link)
Car Photography (external link)

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2006 09:00 |  #12

Lloyd's building in the City is great. Covent Garden for candids, The Eye (from afar if youhave a tripod ;)) etc etc

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Liam:
THREAD ­ STARTER
533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 21, 2006 09:04 |  #13

thank you all for the advice especcialy micheal
hreatly appreciated

Liam.

gear

Rebecka
506 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2006 09:10 |  #14

Liam: wrote in post #2425137 (external link)
does anyone know of a website with a good map of the area, to try and point out these place.

Nothing beats having an A-Z in your bag, but you might find the Central London bus map helpful, though be aware it only shows major roads:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/​buses/pdfdocs/centlond​.pdf (external link)

It is a tad large to print out, but you can should be able to ask for a copy from any tube station of TfL information office. Incidentally, travelling around on a bus should not be underestimated either, sitting upstairs you get great views of the city and you can easily get off whenever you see anywhere you want to photograph. An all day bus ticket is only £3.50 and is far better value than paying for separate tickets at £1.50 every time you step on a bus.

Michael.

Comments, bribes, criticism, bribes, irrelevant anecdotes, and bribes always welcome.
EXIF is available inside all my photos, though bribes are still recommended anyway.

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 21, 2006 09:31 |  #15

You can get tourist maps at any tube or rail station very cheaply, but it's worth buying a small A-Z if you come up to London occasionally.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links

2,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
I will be going to london
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.