Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 29 Dec 2006 (Friday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

What is it with Jessops and the price of their 70-200 F4 L?

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2007 10:39 |  #46

Paul007 wrote in post #2477843 (external link)
Hi guys, thought I'd chirp in here.
At the beginning of last week I called into my local Jessops branch to buy something with the pricematch promise. Armed with printouts of 3 website prices (all the same price) I was told that they did not do a price match anymore. I asked to speak to the manager and she confirmed what the assistant told me. I argued the point that it was illegal to advertise and not honour but they did not want to know so I said I was reporting them to the ASA.
when I got home I was fuming, so I made the complaint to the ASA and I also went onto Jessops website and filled in a feedback form for the branch I had visited explaining the situation. After a day I received an Email from Jessops telling me to go back to the shop with the email and they would honour the pricematch.
Makes you laugh and wonder, if you don't argue they will sting you for a few quid, how many have they stung because the buyer couldn't be bothered to argue.
Anyway rant over
Paul

really enjoyed reading that. like you say, plead your case and you get rewarded. though, you shouldnt have to even do that if they advertise the price match. they have to start bringing those prices down but they know there is probably more folk who doesnt have a clue about online prices etc and think they are getting a good price than people who do know about the cheaper online prices.
personally i think jessops are a joke

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

Treat ­ me ­ like ­ a ­ tourist
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 02, 2007 12:29 |  #47

Jessops pulled the promo in the run up to Christmas, they had the shoppers cornered net delieevieies would never arrive in time and if they had an item in stock it was the only way a gift would end up under the tree. Its the managers discretion in store whether to give the offer of price match- this will depend on his weekly sales targets, percentage of loss he is allowed for the week and how he is trading compared to the rest of the stores in his pool. Having worked in retail in uni years i know how frustrating it is to refuse to help ustomers as you have been told to by the companies policies, and then to have a customer ring the head office and have them completely undermine what you are trying to uphold, but this is the same in all things in life, you complain enough you get what you want, it all depends on how much you want to fight.

I also recommend Ian / Kerso, no its not a shop in the bricks and mortar sense- he sells internation warranty lenses, i have bought a 85mm 1.8, a 70-200F4L and 1.4xConv- yes the 70-200 is a joke in jessops, it was 480 at one point but the new price is stupid!
At the price Ian sold me my copy i could probably sell it and make a profit, i wont because it is so so so so good! go out and buy this lens but not from Jessops.!!!

Facebook (external link)
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

gary-s
74 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2007 17:17 as a reply to  @ Treat me like a tourist's post |  #48

There's a branch of Jessops over here in Dublin, and they recently had the 70-200 F4L for €799. Online, i can get it for less than €600, but im buying it in B&H in two weeks for what will work out at less than €500 :)

20D ¦ Sigma 17-70 ¦ Canon 70-200/F4L ¦ Canon 50mm 1.8 ¦ Sigma 70-300 APO DG ¦ Canon 18-55 ¦

laimis.s
568 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 02, 2007 17:33 |  #49

gary-s wrote in post #2479612 (external link)
There's a branch of Jessops over here in Dublin, and they recently had the 70-200 F4L for €799. Online, i can get it for less than €600, but im buying it in B&H in two weeks for what will work out at less than €500 :)

dont forget that if you buy from B&H from US, they will charge extra 17.5 VAT (or whatever the VAT is where you live) and 6.9% duty for importing the lens! it will add up probably the normal highstreet selling price :) if you want to get a bargain look on ebay - i got one for 375 pounds (560 euros) including delivery. This is also considering that you will buy from shops that guarantee a no VAT/DUTY fee, such as kea-photo http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …7QQtcZphotoQQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

also take a look at Kerso's shop http://stores.ebay.co.​uk/FLASH-CAMERA (external link)

Canon 5D, Mamiya RB-67, Wolf 5x4.
:: http://www.laimonas.co​.uk (external link) ::
:: http://laimonas-stasiulis.deviantart.c​om (external link) ::

gary-s
74 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2007 17:34 |  #50

laimis.s wrote in post #2479706 (external link)
dont forget that if you buy from B&H from US, they will charge extra 17.5 VAT (or whatever the VAT is where you live) and 6.9% duty for importing the lens! it will add up probably the normal highstreet selling price :) if you want to get a bargain look on ebay - i got one for 375 pounds (560 euros) including delivery. This is also considering that you will buy from shops that guarantee a no VAT/DUTY fee, such as kea-photo http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …7QQtcZphotoQQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

also take a look at Kerso's shop http://stores.ebay.co.​uk/FLASH-CAMERA (external link)

I will be walking into B&H...

Post the box to myself and take the lens with me :D

20D ¦ Sigma 17-70 ¦ Canon 70-200/F4L ¦ Canon 50mm 1.8 ¦ Sigma 70-300 APO DG ¦ Canon 18-55 ¦

laimis.s
568 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 02, 2007 17:36 |  #51

gary-s wrote in post #2479714 (external link)

fair enough then ;)

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 02, 2007 17:41 as a reply to  @ laimis.s's post |  #52

Are you guys talking about the older 70-200 f/4L, or the new version with IS that costs twice as much?

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

laimis.s
568 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 02, 2007 17:43 |  #53

DrPablo wrote in post #2479751 (external link)
Are you guys talking about the older 70-200 f/4L, or the new version with IS that costs twice as much?

no. the non IS. but jessops price the non-is almost as high as newer IS version which is just madness...

mangkukhayun
160 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2007 18:23 |  #54

When into Jessops today, found a new lens 24-70 f2.8 IS.. yeah, IS!!! I asked one of the guy if thats a new lens, he said no, it has been around for a while. Then I asked him if he's sure about that.. he started to scratch his head (thinking.. ) and suddenly he apologised!!

I am just wondering why Jessops has been sooo bad recently with the price and similarly on opinion regarding the gears. I am really really hoping that they will fix the situation, I used to adore them..

:(

Sheriff Photo
7D - 350D gripped - 17-55IS - 10-22 - 100L - Nifty-Fifty - 580EX
Sold: Canon 24-105L, Tammy 17-50 non-VC, Sigma 70-200 non-OS
flickr (external link)

Dazecoop
96 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 03, 2007 02:41 |  #55

24-70 f2.8 IS . Surely not? That doesn't exist yet, does it?

d4bmw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2007 19:23 |  #56

just a slight update - I wrote a letter of complaint to Jessops and although i did get a reply - it was the usual nonsense of excuse that prices were deteremined by the board of directors and they were aware that "some" of their products were not as competetive as others on the high street at the moment..

i'm interested in reading the points about the printed ads for price matching.. but like others have said i think if they've pulled these types of ads then i'm not gonna suceed on this course of action.

Can anyone advise if Ian's lenses are Grey imports or UK or even US products.. and does this affect my warranty...?

Jacobs and warehouse ecpress have the non IS 70-200 at about 65 more than Ian's prices but obviously i'd prefer a UK lens

Kit: EOS 1DMkIII EOS 10D 16-35L F2.8 USM 24-105L IS F4 USM 70- 200L IS F2.8 USM 580 EX II Canon 1.4 TC

d4bmw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 05, 2007 19:24 |  #57

gary-s wrote in post #2479714 (external link)

Are you buying from one of their NYC stores - because won;t you be liable for NY state sales tax (which isn;tincluded on their web prices - from what i remember)

Kit: EOS 1DMkIII EOS 10D 16-35L F2.8 USM 24-105L IS F4 USM 70- 200L IS F2.8 USM 580 EX II Canon 1.4 TC

gary-s
74 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 05, 2007 21:51 |  #58

d4bmw wrote in post #2495648 (external link)
Are you buying from one of their NYC stores - because won;t you be liable for NY state sales tax (which isn;tincluded on their web prices - from what i remember)

I'll be buying in the shop in NYC. I'm honestly not even sure how that sales tax works, but i thought if i bought it IN the shop then id have to pay sales tax as its being sold in NY state??

Artdime
273 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 05, 2007 22:11 |  #59

gary-s wrote in post #2496335 (external link)
I'll be buying in the shop in NYC. I'm honestly not even sure how that sales tax works, but i thought if i bought it IN the shop then id have to pay sales tax as its being sold in NY state??

Yes, you will be charged the published lens price plus sales tax in addition to that. Not sure about the rate in NY, I am in Texas and ours is 8%. I would assume NY will be in the neighborhood 8-10%, but I am sure somebody local will confirm.

Florian

- Florian
http://artdime.com (external link)

gary-s
74 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 05, 2007 22:15 |  #60

Artdime wrote in post #2496398 (external link)
Yes, you will be charged the published lens price plus sales tax in addition to that. Not sure about the rate in NY, I am in Texas and ours is 8%. I would assume NY will be in the neighborhood 8-10%, but I am sure somebody local will confirm.

Florian

Thanks for confirming it. It will still be much cheaper than buying on this side of the pond

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

6,689 views & 0 likes for this thread, 32 members have posted to it.
What is it with Jessops and the price of their 70-200 F4 L?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.