Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Jan 2007 (Sunday) 01:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am really, really...

Statement
412 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 07, 2007 01:10 |  #1
bannedPermanently

..getting annoyed with people complimenting my camera and not me! If I gave them my camera they would have no idea how to take a picture. In fact, my camera (350d) is no better than a point and shoot if you just use auto mode. Come on people!

/vent

40d, Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 550ex

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2007 01:11 |  #2

Do they even see your photos? If not, all they have to go on is the camera itself.

Or are you saying you want compliments on your wardrobe? If so, nice shirt. Oops that's complimenting your "gear." I like the way you wear that shirt. How's that?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
6,484 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.

Jan 07, 2007 01:56 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #3

Over the holidays I had some relatives telling me how much they loved my photos. They pointed to several and talked about all the things they liked in each shot. So far, so good. The problem started when they tried to compliment me. They started off by telling me that my camera does a great job, then realized what that sounded like and shifted to the saying the camera must make a huge difference. Then tried to clarify by saying that the camera let me take more pictures faster, so that I had a better chance of catching a great shot.

I just laughed as they kept digging away until I stopped them by saying, "thanks -- my camera is a great tool." They appreciated my understanding, and I appreciated the compliments. One of the things you'll see here often is people getting compliments on what great pictures their camera takes. We all know the truth. ;)

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well) (external link)

Jason77
372 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 07, 2007 02:15 as a reply to  @ ibdb's post |  #4

well, over christmas, i took my camera to my relatives' to try out my new 85mm 1.8. they thought it was really bizarre that i was looking through the viewfinder and started telling me how their p&s camera is "really good" because "you don't have to do that". they also asked why i'd want such a big camera (an xt, no less) when "they make them so small now". :rolleyes:

350 xt with opteka grip | 18-55mm kit lens | 85mm 1.8 | 35mm 2.0
mac mini | apple 23" HD cinema display
coming eventually: 24-70mm L[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][CO​LOR="black"][COLOR="Bl​ack"] | 70-200mm L IS

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2007 02:28 |  #5

Jason77 wrote in post #2501838 (external link)
well, over christmas, i took my camera to my relatives' to try out my new 85mm 1.8. they thought it was really bizarre that i was looking through the viewfinder and started telling me how their p&s camera is "really good" because "you don't have to do that". they also asked why i'd want such a big camera (an xt, no less) when "they make them so small now". :rolleyes:

That's backwards to what my family does. The ones remotely interested will be like "hey I could handle one of these. how much would it cost me?" (30D, 580EX, 24-70L) When I tell them, they promptly hand it back saying "I cant afford to even hold that anymore."

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

JCR
dubiously affectionate
1,303 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 07, 2007 04:37 |  #6

I had a similar experience not 2 days ago, a relative commenting on what wonderful pic's my camera takes, so I handed it to him in manual mode with a 2 sec shutter speed ISO100 and dialled up f/stop, at night in a dark living room.

After 15 mins of him shooting blurry black pics he got the idea.

There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those that can and those that can't.

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 07, 2007 06:45 |  #7

JCR wrote in post #2502058 (external link)
I had a similar experience not 2 days ago, a relative commenting on what wonderful pic's my camera takes, so I handed it to him in manual mode with a 2 sec shutter speed ISO100 and dialled up f/stop, at night in a dark living room.

I must remember that one... :-) :-)

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2007 07:00 |  #8

We got together with some extended family over the holidays and it seemed that everybody had a little p&s in their pocket. I had taken my xt with my nifty fifty. They couldn't believe that my "big" camera was only 8MP and it DIDN'T ZOOM! That in itself proved to them that their little cameras were much better than mine.

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jan 07, 2007 08:23 |  #9

According to Albert Einstein, whom I think was a pretty smart man, everything is relative to its point of origin. Consider the source and take photos. You will always be miserable if you rely on others to make you happy.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

mdmedicgod
498 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 07, 2007 09:03 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #10

My parents have a nikon p&s and they never have discounted my camera and gear. However, to prove point and to be a bit of a smart ass. We both were stading side by side taking a picture of my son an nephew. I fired off 5 tack sharp in focus shots before they got one single shot off....

Canon 1D Mark II
Canon 20D
Canon 300D
Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS
Canon 24-70 F2.8 L
Canon 50mm F 1.8
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG
2 kit lenses MKI and MKII
http://www.fithp.com (external link)

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 07, 2007 17:29 as a reply to  @ mdmedicgod's post |  #11

The last three outings my keeper rate has been pathetic - so much so that not only have I NBOT shown anyone the pictures but I'm beginning to wonder why I have put so much time and effort and cahs into the hobby - when cl;early I am not doing as well as I would like...:evil:

Oh well, I'll keep on trying!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 07, 2007 18:14 |  #12

Don't get upset about it, life's too short as it is and you're unlikely to change peoples conception about cameras in general. In fact just accept it as a complement because however misguided that's how it's usually meant.

Virtually everyone on here knows that the guy behind the camera is at least every bit as important (arguably much more so) than the camera itself.

BiLL

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,193 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 07, 2007 18:58 |  #13

I too have had those sort of comments. I am sure this has been with the advent of digital P&S being commonplace because to those who have no idea of the discipline required to learn and use a (d)SLR they must produce better photographs than the P&S they are using.

All the explanations in the world will sadly I suspect leave many of them none the wiser.

Having had the like comment again at Xmas from a family member I thought I would make a (new) signature.

:)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 07, 2007 20:17 |  #14

Yes, that annoys me too. I get that as a musician as well. "Wow, that tuba sounds real nice." Uhh... what about the years of lessons and practice - do you think that has anything to do with my sound?

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

Statement
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 07, 2007 22:52 |  #15
bannedPermanently

JCR wrote in post #2502058 (external link)

this is what I must do.

40d, Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 550ex

sponsored links

2,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
I am really, really...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.