Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Jan 2007 (Sunday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Replacing background help!

Statement
412 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 07, 2007 23:10 |  #1
bannedPermanently

I recently did a shoot for a couple of young ladies that wanted pictures to begin their careers in modeling. They were friends of a friend. We really were out of ideas for what to use as a background, so I insured them that I would just remove the background from the picture, to make blank white backgrounds in the pictures.

Well, turns out I thought I knew how to do that but its a lot more complicated than I thought. I really need your help on this one. I realize now that I should have just thrown sheets behind them or something to make it easier to select them, but alas, I picked the blinds and the most annoying rug to try to select around possible. I really want to know what the best way to go about doing this daunting task is. I found threads that photosguy made earlier about selections and replacing backgrounds, but I've lost them and can't find them with the search. But I also want you all to respond and point me in the right direction if you can.

Thanks a bunch, I really need your help on this!!

Here's one of the many pics:

IMAGE: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/2235/modelingwi8.jpg

40d, Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 550ex

sponsored links
cgratti
Lord_Malone, your still a newb...
3,315 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 07, 2007 23:16 |  #2

Best and most accurate way is to use the pen tool in Photoshop.
Create a new path, pen her out, make selection, copy and paste.

Just a quick 2 minute pen tooling.. I didnt take the time to do inside her left arm, but you get the idea.....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 30D

Canon 10D
Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Apple iMac G5

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 07, 2007 23:27 |  #3

Actually the best method is probably the one described in this little VIDEO TUTORIAL (external link).

The background is already in contrast to the subject.

Here's a quick example. Needs some more attention around the shoes..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

cgratti
3,315 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 07, 2007 23:30 |  #4

Still not as accurate as the pen tool... but it will work if he doesn't want to spend time clicking out the curves.

Canon 30D

Canon 10D
Apple iMac G5

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 07, 2007 23:49 |  #5

cgratti wrote in post #2506404 (external link)
Still not as accurate as the pen tool... but it will work if he doesn't want to spend time clicking out the curves.

Did you look at the tutorial? How could the pen tool be more accurate than the picture?

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 08, 2007 01:47 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #6

Ehh... don't really know what that dude was doing in the video, some masking and channels stuff, anyways - the pen tool is really good for this kind of stuff. I've been using photoshop for a lil while for graphics design and I have to do this all the time. Zoom in to around 300% and go along the edge of her body and, using the pen tool, place anchor points at each location where the body curves. Using the convert point tool you can make these curves have the correct curvature and follow her body exactly. The major advantage of the pen tool is that it is a vector graphics utensil which basically means you will get a cleaner cut that won't be choppy like titus's.

P.S. In that tutorial... that guy was using a really early Mac OS... dunno much about macs but I know that is definetly old.

And also, this is my opinion.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

rpolitsr
Cream of the Crop
5,983 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 08, 2007 03:22 |  #7

I agree with Titus213.
In Photoshop CS the Extract tool is good if you are working on 8 bits, and the tutorial tools are great, I gave them a try, and all that tools work fine also on 16 bits. Titu’s example may look choppy because of the small file. Working with the full size file the precision is astonishing.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 08, 2007 11:49 |  #8

For me, the pen tool is a PITA if you don't use it all the time, which I don't. If your subject has defined edges like this one here, then I'd try this first: Selecting areas in PS. Try a 1-2 pixel feather.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cgratti
3,315 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 08, 2007 12:10 |  #9

Titus213 wrote in post #2506478 (external link)
Did you look at the tutorial? How could the pen tool be more accurate than the picture?

Did you ever use the pen tool? For cutting anything out the pen tool is by far the most accurate tool, just ask any designer.

Canon 30D

Canon 10D
Apple iMac G5

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2007 12:34 |  #10

From a almost total newbie, what about using the magnetic lasso to select the border?

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2007 12:44 |  #11

cgratti wrote in post #2508518 (external link)
Did you ever use the pen tool? For cutting anything out the pen tool is by far the most accurate tool, just ask any designer.

Pen tool with a tablet and it still won't come close to the masking functions. The pen might be great for a designer but I'm a photographer and for the nuances of a clothed body or, as the tutorial shows, blowing hair, I haven't found a better way to mask it. I'm open to suggestions but the pen tool at 300% just isn't it IMO.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2007 12:47 |  #12

slappy sam wrote in post #2506795 (external link)
Ehh... don't really know what that dude was doing in the video, some masking and channels stuff, anyways - the pen tool is really good for this kind of stuff. I've been using photoshop for a lil while for graphics design and I have to do this all the time. Zoom in to around 300% and go along the edge of her body and, using the pen tool, place anchor points at each location where the body curves. Using the convert point tool you can make these curves have the correct curvature and follow her body exactly. The major advantage of the pen tool is that it is a vector graphics utensil which basically means you will get a cleaner cut that won't be choppy like titus's.

P.S. In that tutorial... that guy was using a really early Mac OS... dunno much about macs but I know that is definetly old.

And also, this is my opinion.

So you don't understand the tutorial but know it doesn't work as good as the pen tool? Interesting...:rolleyes:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 08, 2007 12:47 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #13

Meh... I dunno I mean it does look pretty good titus, but I've been around pro designers on forums for like 3 years who do this kind of stuff all the time and they all use the pen tool. I'll give that masking method a try sometime though.

Edit: I skimmed the tutorial very quickly... it was like 15 minutes long

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2007 16:04 |  #14

E X P A N D your tool kit.

Hey Mom, I'm going to go down and jump off the bridge because everyone else is jumping off the bridge.:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2007 16:57 |  #15

Eehhm, guys, I know a solution: In this (external link) tutorial Russel Brown starts off with the pen tool, and uses the path to quickly get a 'selection' in the 'Extract' tool. Best of both worlds...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

2,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Replacing background help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.