Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jan 2007 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Fisheye/wide angle for 1.6x crop

Dazecoop
96 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2007 13:48 |  #1

Hi guys,

Been doing a lot of searching and looking through this forum and I need some advise. Can't really find what I'm looking for...

I'm after a very wide lens, fisheye distortion is a good thing. I like the look of it. My choices are (as far as I know)...

Canon 10-22 EF-S - non-fisheye, so not distortion, but a good all-rounder
Canon 15mm f2.8 - fisheye, large aperture, not very wide on 1.6x crop
Sigma 8mm fisheye - really wide! Really bad vignetting??
Tokina 10-17 fisheye - hard to get hold of, does it fit Canon EF?

Whats your thoughts? Thanks!

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 12, 2007 13:54 |  #2

If you want really fish, then you have to get the 8mm on a 1.6x cropper. You will have dark/black corners though, no avoiding that.

EF-S and 10-17 wont fit on Canon EF, only EF-S.

There's also the Peleng 8mm which is a cheaper manual focus alternative.

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

Aidenswarrior
535 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 12, 2007 13:56 |  #3

The Peleng 8mm is an awesome lens. My friend has one and if i had the money right now, I would have one. Manual focus is not really a problem with it. Because it is so distorted it is hard to tell where the focus point is anyway, so he tends to not attempt to focus. All his pictures look great.

7D
Canon 50 F1.4
Canon 18-135
Tokina 11-16
Canon 70-200 F4 L

Dazecoop
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2007 14:13 |  #4

Ok, thanks guys. Whats the difference then, between the Peleng and the Sigma? Both at 8mm, apart from the Sigma as AF and is more expensive?

Thinking more about it, I don't mind too much about black/dark corners, I can just crop, or make it a feature of the photograph.

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 12, 2007 14:33 |  #5

I didn't mind the dark/black corners. I'm always too intrigued by the fishy distortion and the awesome perspective to worry about the corners. It almost expected to see dark corners...

The difference is that one is that the Peleng is made in Belarus and the Sigma is made in Japan. Optical formulas are quite possibly different but I know the Russkies aren't bad at making fisheyes!

The Sigma is *possibly* sharper but I don't think it warrants the extra money. And in this case, it's a lot of extra money. AF is nice, but you can just stop it down to f/11 and the DOF is *so* wide that it's really hard to miss focus.

Too much gear...
take nothing but pictures .... kill nothing but time .... leave nothing but footprints

treeshugger
251 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2007 14:36 |  #6

Dazecoop wrote in post #2530159 (external link)
Thinking more about it, I don't mind too much about black/dark corners, I can just crop, or make it a feature of the photograph.

does anyone think it would be a cool idea to try making a circular crop? im not sure of any image formats that would do that but its more important how you publish it, no?

30D, Elan II, Hasselblad 500cm, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.8 II, Tokina 12-24mm F/4, Zeiss planar t* 80mm f/2.8, 430EX, Manfrotto 3021b + 3265, Hoya 77mm S-HMC Thin
Want: 5d, 4x5 gear (but in which order?)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 12, 2007 14:43 |  #7

Peleng is made in the former USSR and is MF only. Sigma is AF and costs a lot more. Both the 8mm will cause heavy vignetting even on a 400D. Here take a look at how your images will look like.
http://www.photozone.d​e …ses/peleng_8_35​/index.htm (external link)
A 15mm fish made for a cropped sensor doesn't look that fishy. Neither do ultrawide zooms such as the 10-22.
I'd recommend the Toke as it's the only fish made for cropped with a 180 degree diagonal field of view at 10mm which makes for a real fishy look and when you zoom back it look more like a wide angle lens.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Dazecoop
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 12, 2007 14:53 |  #8

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Over here in the UK, the Tokina is £370 ish, which is about £100 less than the Sigma. I am swaying toward the Peleng, since I don't want to spend too much money on a "fun" lens, I'm not sure how much I'll use it as yet.

Therefore, I'm thinking about the Peleng, but I can't find anywhere to buy it over here in the UK (apart form Japan eBay'ers)...

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 12, 2007 19:00 |  #9

Ebay in UK doesn't have it? I'm surprised.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

mangkukhayun
160 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2007 21:44 |  #10

Ive been looking for the peleng for quite a while now, but cant find it here in UK.. :(

Sheriff Photo
7D - 350D gripped - 17-55IS - 10-22 - 100L - Nifty-Fifty - 580EX
Sold: Canon 24-105L, Tammy 17-50 non-VC, Sigma 70-200 non-OS
flickr (external link)

2005GLI
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 13, 2007 09:20 |  #11

i have the sigma 8mm f/4 on my xt. At first i hated it, was not what i expected. But this was based on a single pic that was taken really really fast cause i was running out. But 2 days ago i went out and actually took my time with the lens to see what it can do and i must say, i take everything back i sad bad about it. Once you crop out the black portion around the circular image it is 100% better.

Here are 2 pics i took with it. I was nearly touching my truck when i shot this one.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO | PHOTOBUCKET ERROR IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO | PHOTOBUCKET ERROR IMAGE

|Canon 80D|40D backup|24-105 F4/L|Sigma 70-200 F/2.8|Sigma 150-500 C|
|Tokina 12-24|Sigma 8mm Fisheye|

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2007 09:24 as a reply to  @ 2005GLI's post |  #12

I fisheye defined as anything smaller than a particular focal length? or is a fisheye of let's say 10mm the same as a UWA 10mm lens? Is it possible to have an 8mm lens that is not fisheye?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Svepet
20 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 13, 2007 16:41 |  #13

If you want something less extreme than the Peleng there is also another russian lens, Zenitar 16/2.8. I just bought it and tried it for the first time today... It seems really sharp and nice.

Both lenses are available from www.rugift.com (external link)

Contax 139 Quartz - Carl Ziess Planar 50/1.7
Canon 400D - Zenitar MC 16/2.8 - Canon EF 50/1.8 II - Tamron SP Di 90/2.8 Macro 1:1 - Tokina AT-X 400/5.6 SD

KevC
Goldmember
3,154 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 13, 2007 17:20 |  #14

TMR Design wrote in post #2533869 (external link)
I fisheye defined as anything smaller than a particular focal length? or is a fisheye of let's say 10mm the same as a UWA 10mm lens? Is it possible to have an 8mm lens that is not fisheye?

No. I don't think the fisheye definition includes focal length (though generally wider focal lengths are fisheyes).

There are 15mm and 16mm fisheyes also. There is also a 30mm fisheye for medium format, and I'm sure longer focal lengths for larger formats.

I think the definition of a fisheye is a lens that covers 180deg field of view, and not rectinlinearly corrected (fishy).

Too much gear...

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 13, 2007 20:45 |  #15

KevC wrote in post #2535757 (external link)
No. I don't think the fisheye definition includes focal length (though generally wider focal lengths are fisheyes).

There are 15mm and 16mm fisheyes also. There is also a 30mm fisheye for medium format, and I'm sure longer focal lengths for larger formats.

I think the definition of a fisheye is a lens that covers 180deg field of view, and not rectinlinearly corrected (fishy).

Thanks Kev :D

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,630 views & 0 likes for this thread, 9 members have posted to it.
Fisheye/wide angle for 1.6x crop
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.