Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Dec 2006 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Locking box for car or suv???

greg20d
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 28, 2006 11:15 |  #1

anyone use or have an Idea where and what to get to lock up my camera at times or other valuables in my car . something that would be bolted down and lockable either to put my camera bag in or store the camera lens' and other acc. that they would be padded ?

Thank You in advance
Greg

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

sponsored links
jdmwerks
171 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 23, 2007 21:56 |  #2

I'd be interested too. When I bought my first dslr (nikon D50) it got stolen when it was underneath a seat covered with a towel. The theifs must have been watching me.

7D \\ 10-22mm \\ 35L \\ 50mm f/1.4 \\ 70-200 f/4 L

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,718 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2007 22:36 |  #3

Unfortunately anyone watching you park the car and get out, and then remove some equipment from the trunk would know there may be more equipment stored there!

A friend of mine used the technique of taking a rather obviously older looking ice chest and putting it in the car trunk, with the thought that a thief would see the old ice chest and leave it alone. I'm not too sure that a thief wouldn't merely open it and see what is inside (and maybe steal a cool drink if nothing of value was inside).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnnybfan
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2007 01:30 |  #4

Maybe a large, flat metal box that would fit in the trunk and could be locked would work. Just bolt it down and throw a padlock on it and bingo!! Could be as simple as a large toolbox or the like. Or have a local shop weld one up I've thought about it, too. Security is not easy.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

bonefish
351 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2007 07:43 |  #5

Maybe try looking for a vehicle gun safe, there are several online.

70D/24-105L

psuedoj
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 24, 2007 09:58 as a reply to  @ bonefish's post |  #6

I use a pelican case, locked with two padlocks. In one of the padlocks I also have a heavy bicycle cable that is itself locked to the vehicle. I lock the cable either to the rear seat in my Yukon (that baby is heavy!) or to one of the tie-down lugs in the cargo area. I know this is not perfect but it is a major deterrent to most thieves and I only rely on this when traveling and never overnight.

J

greg20d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Typo King
1,972 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 24, 2007 10:58 |  #7

psuedoj wrote in post #2591923 (external link)
I use a pelican case, locked with two padlocks. In one of the padlocks I also have a heavy bicycle cable that is itself locked to the vehicle. I lock the cable either to the rear seat in my Yukon (that baby is heavy!) or to one of the tie-down lugs in the cargo area. I know this is not perfect but it is a major deterrent to most thieves and I only rely on this when traveling and never overnight.

J

this is the direction I am leaning . or the gun safe I looked at truck vault ... but don't have the money right now

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

sponsored links

1,166 views & 0 likes for this thread
Locking box for car or suv???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.