Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 24 Jan 2007 (Wednesday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Playing Around With B/W Again

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2007 14:14 |  #1

This may be a bit too dark, but, does this do anything for anyone? C& C Welcome, and thanks in advance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

sponsored links
ilovemycamera
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 24, 2007 14:19 |  #2

Yeup... it's an interesting shot.

Very dramatic sky, but overall, it is a little dark!

GEAR: -7D---Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L---Canon 70-[COLOR=black]200 f2.8L IS---Canon 50mm 1.2L---Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L---Speedlite 580 EX---Canon 100mm 2.8 macro---gitzo gt2942---RRS BH-55

WISHLIST: --- 5dmkiii --- Canon fisheye ---Canon 100-400L........ one day, my friends, one day!

Statement
412 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 24, 2007 14:23 |  #3

arg245 wrote in post #2593210 (external link)
does this do anything for anyone? C& C Welcome, and thanks in advance.

Yeah, I like this shot. Maybe lighten it a little bit but other than that it is interesting to me.

40d, Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 550ex

marksonthestreet
279 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 24, 2007 14:38 |  #4

i really like the texture of the clouds at this exposure

Shut up and be happy that you shoot people for a living.
GEAR: Rebel xt with bat grip/EOS-1n with booster grip/F.E.D. 4/lomo LC-A/Bronica SQ-AM/Holga, Epson Perfection 4490, alienbees ring flash, 2 britek 600s and a 200, vagabond portable battery. Bogen sticks and head, 50mm1.4, kit lens, and a 70-210.

arg245
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2007 17:07 as a reply to  @ marksonthestreet's post |  #5

Thanks for the comments everyone. Actually, I tried to lighten it up a bit, and now I'm sure - I prefer the darker one. Here's the lightened version ........

IMAGE NOT FOUND

---------------
Andy Garcia

ilovemycamera
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 24, 2007 17:10 |  #6

The lighter one ain't too bad, either! You can actually see more detail in it...

GEAR: -7D---Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L---Canon 70-[COLOR=black]200 f2.8L IS---Canon 50mm 1.2L---Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L---Speedlite 580 EX---Canon 100mm 2.8 macro---gitzo gt2942---RRS BH-55

WISHLIST: --- 5dmkiii --- Canon fisheye ---Canon 100-400L........ one day, my friends, one day!

arg245
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2007 18:03 |  #7

ilovemycamera wrote in post #2594089 (external link)
The lighter one ain't too bad, either! You can actually see more detail in it...

Thanks again. BTW, not to change the subject of the thread, lest one of the mods slaps my hand, but, how do you like your Tamron 17 - 50 f/2.8? I've been thinking about getting one.

---------------
Andy Garcia

KatmanDu
257 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 24, 2007 18:08 |  #8

The clouds look great; almost painted... but I almost want to see more contrast.

EOS40D, Slik Pro 700DX, 322RC2, Manf. 679
EF 50 f1.4, Bigma, Tamron 28-75 XR Di
Kenko tubes, 430EX
---
katmandu*at*5100bac.ne​t :: katsden.5100bac.net

wesuggs
636 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 24, 2007 19:00 |  #9

i like the first shot

ilovemycamera
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 24, 2007 20:38 |  #10

arg245 wrote in post #2594391 (external link)
Thanks again. BTW, not to change the subject of the thread, lest one of the mods slaps my hand, but, how do you like your Tamron 17 - 50 f/2.8? I've been thinking about getting one.

It's VERY VERY handy, and the sharpness is great...

I was a little leary about buying a tamron, i don't know why, but for the price, it's wonderful. I think you'll find that it's versatile and easy to carry around. The only thing i've had a problem getting used to is the zoom...
It turns opposite of what the zooms on canon turn. It's not a problem so much now that i'm used to it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I carried it to disney world, and was able to take some neat shots inside the dark rides when i bumped my iso up all the way. It's a very handy lens, and runs circles around the kit lens.:D

Try it out and see what you think! Just remember, it doesn't have a red circle around it, and it's not an L, but is sure acts like one!

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 24, 2007 22:38 as a reply to  @ ilovemycamera's post |  #11

Nice shot. Can we see the original? Thanx!

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

arg245
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 25, 2007 06:18 as a reply to  @ Beau Hudspeth's post |  #12

Here's the original, as requested.

To: "ILoveMyCamera"; Thanks for the mini review on the Tamron - That's exactly what I've been hearing about it. :)

A bit more info on the image: The original was taken in RAW, and converted with DPP. Sharpness was set to +4, and the "Landscape" Picture Style was applied. B/W conversion was completed in Photoshop Elements 4, via an adjustment layer, another layer was used for brightness/contrast adjustment, a bit of dodging and burning on the lower (color) layer, and then a "yellow" filter was applied.

Probably not the best workflow, as I was just experimenting, but in the end, it looked like something worth posting for comments. Thanks again to all who responded.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

---------------
Andy Garcia

ilovemycamera
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2007 07:47 |  #13

arg245 wrote in post #2596992 (external link)
Here's the original, as requested.

To: "ILoveMyCamera"; Thanks for the mini review on the Tamron - That's exactly what I've been hearing about it. :)

A bit more info on the image: The original was taken in RAW, and converted with DPP. Sharpness was set to +4, and the "Landscape" Picture Style was applied. B/W conversion was completed in Photoshop Elements 4, via an adjustment layer, another layer was used for brightness/contrast adjustment, a bit of dodging and burning on the lower (color) layer, and then a "yellow" filter was applied.

Probably not the best workflow, as I was just experimenting, but in the end, it looked like something worth posting for comments. Thanks again to all who responded.

No problem...

I like the color shot of this picture almost as good as the lighter b&W!

But then again, i know nothing about all that pp you discussed, either!

blam
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 25, 2007 07:55 |  #14

I like the 1st picture most.

chrisvilela
72 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 25, 2007 08:26 as a reply to  @ blam's post |  #15

Me too, 1st one. Rich dark tones :)

http://christianvilela​.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Playing Around With B/W Again
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.