Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jan 2007 (Wednesday) 06:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XTi / 400D with BG-E3 attached

evandavies
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 25, 2007 05:05 as a reply to  @ post 2596820 |  #16

Appart from being able to hold 2 standard batteries or 6 AA's, it clones the main shooting buttons so that you can control the camera in portrait mode (sideways)

E:¬D

Lens focuses the light,
camera records the light,
you make it art.

sponsored links
cheekiang
78 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2007 05:17 as a reply to  @ evandavies's post |  #17

hi

i see...thanks alot!

chee kiang

Canon EOS400D - lens:18mm - 55mm f3.5-5.6 and 55mm-200mm f4.5-5.6. Accessories: Canon Battery grip-BG-E3, Canon Remote Switch-RS-60E3, Sigma Electronic flash EF-500 DG Super E0-ETTLII, Canon tripod SL-1200

Twitch1977
619 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 25, 2007 20:14 |  #18

Thanks for the opinions on the non-Canon, non-Opteka grips guys, I think I might try out a targus or merkury when I go to buy mine, lots of poeple have complained about the shutter button on the Opteka but I haven't heard much bad about the Targus or Merkury, but that could easily be due to the fact fewer people have them.

Anyways might be worth trying out I guess.

Kurt

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/twitch1977/ (external link)
Advice is a noun, advise is a verb.

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 25, 2007 20:16 |  #19

the grip is great on any camera... gives my little pinky a place to go...

[[Gear List]]

zasboy
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 25, 2007 20:19 |  #20

only give your extra battery life? but i saw the buttons...like zoom in/out...so it got other functions??

Seems you don't know about the Playback Zoom feature. With grip or no grip, if you're in the playback mode, you are able to zoom in or out on the picture by pressing the minus(-) or plus(+) buttons either on the camera body or grip.

cloose
691 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 25, 2007 23:58 |  #21

sbressler wrote in post #2596447 (external link)
Have you used the Targus/do you own it? What is your experience with it?

Also, is it important to always switch the grip to OFF whenever not using the camera? If not, what's the switch for?

I own the Targus.
When I purchased it, I spent a long while infuriating the store staff by examining both the Targus and the Canon, mounting and re-mounting both of them until I was satisfied that there is no difference.

As to usage, it is a lot bulkier, so depending on what I am shooting, and where I am going it comes off. The real benefit to having one is with vertical shooting.

http://craigloose.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,448 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 26, 2007 05:58 |  #22

cheekiang wrote in post #2596820 (external link)
hi,

what does the grip actually does?

only give your extra battery life? but i saw the buttons...like zoom in/out...so it got other functions??

chee kiang

Relocates several of your exposure and shutter options for vertical shooting, gives you twice the battery life, and in extreme emergencies, you can plug in 5 or 6 AAs into a different sled to take a few more pics. Also broadens the base of the camera a bit, rebalances the small XT body for larger lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Elbee19
732 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 26, 2007 18:55 |  #23

Thanks for the opinions on the non-Canon, non-Opteka grips guys, I think I might try out a targus or merkury when I go to buy mine, lots of poeple have complained about the shutter button on the Opteka but I haven't heard much bad about the Targus or Merkury, but that could easily be due to the fact fewer people have them.

I had the Targus grip. I don't want to get into a Targus bashing session because maybe I acquired a lemon just as there are lemons in anything you purchase. At any rate, my grip broke where the those tiny screws screw into the anchor plate so that the grip stays snub against the camera. I noticed the break because my grip started getting a bit wobbly. When I detached it from the camera I noticed the tiny screws being loose. Originally I thought they had just come a loose so I attempted to tighten them and they wouldn't tighten. I then thought the socket was stripped but upon closer inspection I noticed it had actually broken off and the screw didn't have anything to screw into!

I must say I sorely miss the grip. Other financial commitments have kept me from purchasing another one, but because of this sour experience I am going to get the canon grip this next time.

Cheers,
LeBaron
Canon 1DMKiii/5D/40D/30D | Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 17-40 F4L USM | Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 | Canon 50mm 1.8

TaqriProductions
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 10, 2013 19:54 |  #24

Once you switch to shooting with the grip you won't ever want to shoot without it again. Definitly a must buy.

Are you seeing everything you are looking at?

Visit our facebook page at:http://www.facebook.co​m/taqriproductions (external link)

sponsored links

8,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
XTi / 400D with BG-E3 attached
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.