Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 14:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blown out Skin Tone Problem

zasboy
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 23, 2007 14:02 |  #1

I was playing in a badminton tournament and took the opportunity to bring my photography gears and take some photos.

I made a previous post on where I was having a hard time getting sharp pictures. I think the reason why was that my DOF was too shallow. I was using f/1.8. Granted that this was taken during the night. You can view the post here: click me

The tournament I played was in the same gym but was during the daytime. So lighting was much better. I think the roof windows provided the extra lighting I needed.

When reviewing some of the pictures, I noticed that some of the player's skin tone look blown out. Almost like doll skin texture. I'll provide two pictures with two different kinds of edits.

1) Camera Raw Auto Settings, no other edits

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

2) Camera Raw Auto Settings, Noise Reduction, Unsharp Mask
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Settings and Equipments I used:
- ISO1600, f/2.5, 1/250s
- AI Servo AF
- Manual Focus Point: Center Focus
- Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
- Canon Rebel XTi

To me, the skin tone looks awful. Is there any improvement I could have done during the pre-process and post-process? I rather not do much edits in photoshop except for maybe noise reduction and unsharp mask to give the picture some 'pop' but I'm still puzzle why the skin tone in both photos looks awful.

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 23, 2007 14:32 |  #2

Turn off the auto settings, and manually adjust.
The 'auto' settings try to get an 'average' on the image of medium gray. Turn down the exposure a bit, to aoid blowing out the skintones (holding down the alt key (IIRC) will show clipped channels if you move the exposure slider in ACR), and set the white balance by hand.
Read the pdf linked to in this post to get to understand ACR better.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 23, 2007 17:17 |  #3

Looks like the WB is off...your 85 1.8 should ROCk for this sport...the best indoor lens I have seen so far...especially for the money...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

zasboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 23, 2007 18:55 |  #4

I been told that my WB is off and there is a blue tint to it. I don't see it and I think it's due to my monitor not being calibrated correctly. I am using the Adobe Gamma program. I will try to use my laptop and see if that helps.

Also, I don't have a 85 f/1.8 :( Seems like a good lens based on the user reviews.

zasboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 23, 2007 23:13 |  #5

I got some terminology question. I don't really understand the meaning of hightlights, midtone, and shadows. Please do correct me if I get it wrong. Highlights would be the bright areas such as the skin. The midtone would be the clothes and the shadow would be, well the shadows. I'm probably way off but when I think of highlights, midtone, shadows, I think of colors like cyan, magenta, and yellow.

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 23, 2007 23:22 |  #6

Highlights would be the bright areas such as the skin. The midtone would be the clothes and the shadow would be, well the shadows.

In this shot, yes, but there's a brighter highlight in the racquet & shoes.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

dansellbuddy
53 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 25, 2007 12:33 |  #7

to me, i think its exposed a little more for the shadows (ie underexposure). she has very light skin and as you can see, that causes hot skintones. judging that almost all of the light is comeing from above, the shadows on the skind should be (in my opinion) somewhat darker. I would lower the contrast in camera, and underexpose (given that you're shots were "properly" exposed according to camera) by about a half stop to 2/3s stop.

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 25, 2007 19:58 |  #8

I would lower the contrast in camera, and underexpose (given that you're shots were "properly" exposed according to camera) by about a half stop to 2/3s stop.

Well, that isn't going to work? Dan is shooting RAW (as I would), so in-cam processing won't work with the important pic file. (If he uses RAW + Jpg).
I agree with Rene that you'll eventually get better results if you learn to "Turn off the auto settings, and manually adjust."

First, I never trust AWB. More on that here: Gray card: Why your meter may be lying to you!
I found something that I didn't expect! Notice that the very last exposure in the 2nd group was of a gray card.

2nd, for exposure, this will always work for me.
Need an exposure crutch?

zasboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 25, 2007 20:36 |  #9

There was another photographer at the tournament and we both talked about white balance. He used a plain white paper to create a custom white balance. I wished I did the same but I was too busy playing my matches :mad:

PhotosGuy: Thanks for the information. It has been very helpful.

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 25, 2007 21:47 |  #10

I have only used white paper, but am planing on getting a grey card and putting it in my gear bag...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 26, 2007 08:28 |  #11

I have only used white paper, but am planing on getting a grey card and putting it in my gear bag...

What’s best for exposure, Gray cards, white paper, expensive attachments for the lens?
Gray Card…White Paper. What’s best?

Hellashot
Goldmember
4,617 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 26, 2007 11:46 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Auto settings not best always.

ACR auto settings don't always get the adjustment correct. Sometimes it gets the "exposure/highlights" adjustment off by as much as a full stop that you then have to uncheck that item and adjust the conversion setting yourself.

Try that and see if you like the result you get better as it will preview when you move the sliders.

5D, Drebel, EOS-3, K1000
lenses from 12mm-500mm

sponsored links

1,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blown out Skin Tone Problem
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.