Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 21 Jun 2006 (Wednesday) 04:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: -!!BEWARE!!- of fake memory cards on ebay

cbr929rrerion
825 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 15, 2006 20:53 |  #166

I read on ebay that 100% of the 2gig and above are fakes...

Canon 1D MKIII :lol:
Canon 1D MK II N :lol:

EF 70-200mm f2.8 L | EF 100-400 L IS | EF 24-70 f2.8 L | 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma EF-500 DG Super | Canon Back Pack

www.crotchrocketracing​.com (external link)
www.2wheelphotosports.​com (external link)

sponsored links
Ralph ­ Wagner
145 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Nov 22, 2006 09:15 |  #167

I am in the midst of getting a refund for a countefeit Sandisk 2GB Extreme III CF card purchase through a Amazon Marketplace Merchant. It failed the first time I used it and that's when I discovered it was counerfiet. I am going to get my money back eventually since Amazon backs it up. But you have t try and get the problem resolved with the merchant first. He claimed he gets his cards through a wholesaler and would refund my money. In the meantime I went over to Wal*Mart and purchased a couple of Lexar 2GB Platinums for a good price. And you know if there is a problem within in a reasonable time of purchasing them Wal*Mart will happily refund or exchange them right on the spot in any of their many stores. This is going to be my place of choice from now on for CF cards since you can find a Wal*Mart in almost every town, city or wherever.

RW

thurlow
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 02, 2006 05:51 as a reply to  @ Ralph Wagner's post |  #168

Hi Guys, I have just read this thread and thought i'd give you people a bit of advice about fake memory cards. I run a company in the UK selling digital memory cards and buy all of my stock from the leading Sandisk distributors who are all tier one which means they buy directly from Sandisk. I can tell you that all UltraII , Extreme IV and Extreme V Compact Flash cards on ebay are fake. The reason i know this to be true is that you simply cannot buy these cards for less than they are selling on ebay. In the UK and i know it's the same in the US there are hundreds of people selling these cards at cheaper prices than you can buy the original ones for and nearly all of these people are individuals rather than companies so they would not be able to purchase cards from original Sandisk distributors anyway.

All of these cards are produced in Hong Kong and China and most of the time they will not work and will definitely not perform to the speeds that they say they will.

This is a similar story on Amazon where people are doing the same thing.

This has definitely affected companies like mine but it's the consumers that i feel sorry as they are all being sold inferior cards which in turn is affecting Sandisk's brand identity.

Here is a list of the current lowest prices that you can buy Sandisk Compact Flash cards from distributors in the UK and these are also very similar to US prices ( I know as i am in contact with all major Sandisk distributors ) - if you are offered any of these cards at anything below these prices then they are 99% likely to be fake: THESE ARE THE CURRENT LOWEST TRADE PRICES

UltraII 1GB $37
UltraII 2GB $67.8
UltraII 4GB $135.3
UltraII 8GB $270

ExtremeIII 1GB $45.8
ExtrmemIII 2GB $85.4
ExtrmemIII 4GB $170.6
ExtremeIII 8GB $339.6

ExtremeIV 2GB $137.9
ExtremeIV 4GB $274.5
ExtremeIV 8GB $551.3

Basically if you see one of these cards anywhere and the price looks to good to be true 99% of the time it's because the memory card is fake.

I am just trying to help you guys out as it seems like alot of you have had problems in the past. My company website is http://www.lowpricemem​ory.co.uk (external link) and if you type in memory cards on google you will see us on the first page (so hopefully you will appreciate that i know my stuff when it comes to memory cards)

Hope this helps a few people. Thanks, Tim

NAKANA
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 10, 2006 14:44 |  #169

Hi all I got 2 Sandisk Ultra II Compact Flash cards from ebay. both are fake. I got a 1GB back in sept. and I just got a 2GB card a few days ago, I am in the process of filing a claim with Pay Pal.
sellers eBay ID world-shek

l8ter all
Nathan

Canon EOS 5D & Canon EOS Digital Rebel
18-55MM Kit Lens, 28-135MM IS USM Lens
Speedlite 430EX x2, Battery Grip BG-E1

www.nathansphotography​.ca (external link)

MikeG30
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 26, 2006 20:24 |  #170

I've seen estimates that 90% of the sandisk memory cards are fake on eBay. I had a problem with an eBay Extreme III CF. I ended up with one from Amazon that is the real deal.

On eBay, I bought one and while it was in shipping I did more research and suspected it was fake. Upon arrival of the CF I checked and I was definitely fake. It lacked a SN entirely. I called sandisk and they confirmed it.

I contacted the seller. To his credit, he immediately offered a full refund, with the shipping if I'd send back the item. I sent it back and he credited the full amount with shipping immediately upon receipt.

I guess it didn't hurt that he had already given me positive feedback and I had not yet given him any.

Here's a link that gives more information.
http://reviews.ebay.co​m …0QQugidZ1000000​0001456539 (external link)

the.digital.guy
442 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 03, 2007 20:48 |  #171

Be Carefull on Ebay with SanDisk cards.............alot of fakes out there!!!!

Gear List

ScottNewMexico
76 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 22, 2007 23:17 |  #172

Thanks for posting this!! I was about to get one of these!!! Whew!

Canon Rebel XTi, Canon ES 70-200 F4 L, Singh-Ray Vari-ND, Canon Red #25 filter, Canon 18-55 Kit Lense, Canon UV-1 filter, AT-6703 Tripod (nice!), Canon A640, Lowepro Dryzone Rover Pack, 8GB PQI CF, Canon Battery Grip with 4 - 1500MAH batteries, Dual battery car charger. Every piece of my equipment was purchased based from recommendations from this forum!

BBrat
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 23, 2007 08:37 as a reply to  @ ScottNewMexico's post |  #173

well, that might explain why i am NOT getting any action on the 2 ultra II (2 GB) cards and the 3 extreme III (2 GB) cards i have listed. i bought them from B+H, best buy and circuit city??? have receipts too....and i have 100% feedback w/over 700 transactions.....

brian

Brian Gear List

ScottNewMexico
76 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 23, 2007 09:25 |  #174

BBrat, just post the appropriate macro images of them and the serial numbers. I am sure they will sell...

Canon Rebel XTi, Canon ES 70-200 F4 L, Singh-Ray Vari-ND, Canon Red #25 filter, Canon 18-55 Kit Lense, Canon UV-1 filter, AT-6703 Tripod (nice!), Canon A640, Lowepro Dryzone Rover Pack, 8GB PQI CF, Canon Battery Grip with 4 - 1500MAH batteries, Dual battery car charger. Every piece of my equipment was purchased based from recommendations from this forum!

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 23, 2007 10:17 |  #175

don't buy them from Ebay, tried and test, all are fake.

rather spend the money and get something else, at least u know what u're really buying rather than an unknown card tagged with a Sandisk extreme sticker

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4655753&pos​tcount=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

BBrat
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 23, 2007 11:21 |  #176

ScottNewMexico wrote in post #2586089 (external link)
BBrat, just post the appropriate macro images of them and the serial numbers. I am sure they will sell...

ScottNewMexico,

thanks never thought of that.

Brian

Brian Gear List

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 24, 2007 18:54 |  #177

Is it really worth the chance of getting a fake to get that little bit better price? I buy 99% of my photo gear and supplies from a trustworthy store here in San Diego. This particular store has been in business for decades and has always gone out of their way to assist me if I had a problem.

John

jdmwerks
171 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2007 07:44 |  #178

This sucks, I bought an Ultra 2 2GB card off of ebay and it seemed to good to be true. Don't be fooled if the back sticker on your card is legitemat looking. If it doesn't have a serial number then its fake. I better get my damn money back for this. Maybe we should start an official list of ebay sellers who are selling this ****.

7D \\ 10-22mm \\ 35L \\ 50mm f/1.4 \\ 70-200 f/4 L

Digitalwave
806 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 25, 2007 09:40 as a reply to  @ jdmwerks's post |  #179

You will more than likely get screwed if you buy it on eBay, no matter what proof you bring to the table. I bought a fake card unknowingly but I realized before I paid for it. I explained my situation thoroughly to the seller, and explained why I wouldn't be paying for the auction. The only reply I got was "its real." I ended up getting an unpaid item strike on eBay, though they didn't leave negative feedback thankfully.

jdmwerks
171 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2007 21:46 |  #180

Read this....

A replacement card is not what I want. I want a legitemate SanDisk card in which you
said it was when i paid for this. You can't keep ripping people off. I purchased a
$1500.00 digital camera with my hard earned money over christmas and "thought" I was
only using quality parts when I ordered this card. The camera itself was acting funny
and I took it in to get looked at and they think its because I used a fake noname
memory card. After studying the card I realized the holes in which the pins from the
camera go into are a different size and are bending the pins in my camera. This is not
just going to go away and I want some type of explination. A full refund would be in
order shipping included, then I will send the card back to you.

Reply:

Hello,
yes, this item just a OEM card ,So it is bargin than original card
if you need a refund ,that's fine
Please write the"refund" words and RMA # (or item #) on the return package, and send it back to:
Kin chau
7514 20th ave
Brooklyn, NY 11214
USA
The refund $ (100% of item price,you are appreciated that you paid 0% of item price for listing fee and final value fee credit) will be worked out immediately according to our warranty terms once receiving your return package.
Please confirm your Paypal ID or mailing address for the refund of the payment to the correct address.
Thanks for your cooperation
Thank you
Best Regards

Angus

MSN:Angus_bobo@hotmail​.com
www.Brainydeal.com (external link)

Feel free to email that guy a much as you want.

7D \\ 10-22mm \\ 35L \\ 50mm f/1.4 \\ 70-200 f/4 L

sponsored links

234,210 views & 1 like for this thread
-!!BEWARE!!- of fake memory cards on ebay
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.