Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 Jan 2007 (Monday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer & Southern Alberta POTN Meet?

calgaryphotographer
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 08, 2007 19:50 |  #1

I proposed this earlier, and seeing how nobody really made aynthing out of it, lets try again? How would be interested in say a weekend throughout southern Alberta shooting and what not? Sheldon proposed spring would be best...any oppinions?

My Ideas:

Friday: Meet in Calgary, arrange P/U's, hotels etc..shoot downtown in afternoon and then dinner, than some night life (could be interesting on a hockey night)

Saturday: Southern alberta (Lethbridge etc.. - Sheldon's territory)

Sunday: Banff and Rockies

Any oppinions on if this is too much? I'm open :D

CANON EOS 300D | Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | CANON EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 | Some soft Hood | CANON EF 75-300 F/4.5-5.6 III USM | Canon ET-60 Hood | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Canon ES-62 Hood | CANON 430EX | MANFROTTO TRIPOD | Canon RC-1 Remote | A WHACK OF BP-511'S | SANDISK CF CARDS | LOWEPRO MINI-TREKKER AW |

sponsored links
Geoff_Shawcross
"Nuttier than a squirrel terd"
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 14, 2007 19:41 |  #2

Hmm......could just be me, but that seems like a lot of traveling in just one week end. Although a southern Alberta POTN meet would be nice to see at some point. Lots to see no matter where you go........Medicine Hat area, Cypress Hills area, Roucky Mountain area, etc.

And waiting until at least spring is most preferable in my mind if I were to participate.

Geoff | SmugMug (external link) | Gear List | BUY & SELL FORUM FEEDBACK

"I bring you to a paradise planet two billion light years from earth and you want to update Twitter?" --The Doctor from 'Doctor Who'

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 15, 2007 11:11 |  #3

As mentioned on other threads, I would be interested. I think one full day or even one overnight would be enough. I have no preference to time or location. If there is a time someone would like to commit to, just let me know and I will see what is on the agenda. Being my own boss, I can get time away from work most often but there are a few critical times on some projects that might be a bit tough, plus I have lots of time booked for ski trips, canoeing and hiking up to next fall already.

-JIM-

Geoff_Shawcross
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 15, 2007 16:13 |  #4

Just noticed the other thread shortly after I wrote in this one. So I'll watch both I guess.

"I bring you to a paradise planet two billion light years from earth and you want to update Twitter?" --The Doctor from 'Doctor Who'

calgaryphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2007 21:47 |  #5

Seeing as it seemed the last one got lost (or atleast I thought it did) lets make this the planning thread - who's got ideas?

I'm pretty available if I have due enough notice, although during the week I'm at school and March 4-9 i'll be on a 72' schooner out west - any other time works for me :)

CANON EOS 300D | Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | CANON EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 | Some soft Hood | CANON EF 75-300 F/4.5-5.6 III USM | Canon ET-60 Hood | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Canon ES-62 Hood | CANON 430EX | MANFROTTO TRIPOD | Canon RC-1 Remote | A WHACK OF BP-511'S | SANDISK CF CARDS | LOWEPRO MINI-TREKKER AW |

davidm_86
89 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 23, 2007 17:18 |  #6

Well, even being a newby to photography I'd really like something like this. I'm in Calgary. Banff would be amazing too. Personally I have to avoid March if possible due to a night class. (Tuesday nights, and all day Saturday. My finals are in March)

But yeah, I think it's an excellent idea. Might even give me a good chance to meet with more experienced photographers and learn tons of stuff you just never read about in books!

Canon EOS 30D w/ grip, 5D, 430EX, 580EX II, MT-24EX
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8
L IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Manfrotto 055MF4 Mag Fiber Tripod w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head

Tangledlines
151 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 24, 2007 09:46 |  #7

sounds interesting...

www.korbanschwab.com (external link)

Canon/Sigma/Tamron/Man​frotto/Profoto

calgaryphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 26, 2007 21:09 |  #8

Who's got ideas for this event? Would be interetsed in taking a lead, just want people who know where they'd like to go (and for how long)

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 26, 2007 22:06 |  #9

A full day trip would be great, maybe an overnighter. I would be game for anything and other than a few set events with a bit of warning I could make myself available almost anytime. I think the first thing would be to set a date, the location(s) could be figured out after that.

Right now I have nothing in April or the first half of May. I could swing something during the week easily too.

-JIM-

calgaryphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 26, 2007 22:21 |  #10

End of march sound ok?

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 26, 2007 22:25 |  #11

We will be doing a weekend ski trip near the end of March, date not set yet. It is dependant on a couple other families.

Let's see what others think.

-JIM-

Tangledlines
151 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 27, 2007 00:35 |  #12

April would be better than March, the weather would be better as well I bet

www.korbanschwab.com (external link)

Canon/Sigma/Tamron/Man​frotto/Profoto

Geoff_Shawcross
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 27, 2007 08:54 |  #13

If I can manage to join this...... May, June, or July would be better for me.

calgaryphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 30, 2007 21:25 |  #14

Anyone else? Sheldon?

Flywing
Goldmember
1,860 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 01, 2007 22:35 as a reply to  @ calgaryphotographer's post |  #15

Hi All, small intro is due: retired for one year now (I’m sure you guys wouldn’t like it :rolleyes: ). Always had a camera of sorts and then purchased the Canon T70 just after they became available but really began playing/learning digital in the last four years, started with a very small Olympus (great snap shot camera) then improved to the Sony 828 (exceptional but for the fringing problem) and shortly after retirement my good wife gifted me with a 30D to which I’ve added some pieces of glass; Canon EF-S 17-85 IS, EF 70-300 DO IS USM and a couple of Sigma lens, EX 105 DG Macro and a 50-500 APO DG HSM not mentioned some other various and sundry photographic accouterments. That’s the glass but wish I could use some of my old T70 glass, that old 50 always took a good photo. Averaging a little over ten thousand photos per year now and always happy to find a new opportunity to pick up the camera to which my family has responded by calling me Papa – “ratzzi.” Nothing is sacred. Hence this first post in this forum of POTN. I would enjoy going to Calgary for the photo opportunities and to meet fellow POTN’ers also the Bow River or any river with trout is a big draw for me. In addition to the camera I’m addicted to fly fishing. My preference is for a warmer weather time frame for any “Clave” in the Calgary area I’m fairly sure my calendar will have an opening set aside.

The wild fish were as the wild air, no mans possession but the free gift of God." ---Arthur Ransome
Man the photographer captures a moment of light in God’s creation and then believes he has embellished it.

sponsored links

19,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer & Southern Alberta POTN Meet?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.