Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Custom White Balance question

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 30, 2007 09:04 |  #1

I have been having a hard time getting consistant white balance results using my 30D inside our church on the stage. 3 times a month I will take pictures on the same stage, same lighting using either RAW or Jpegs and everytime the white balance is different. In the past I tried using the manual color temperature setting for all and it still comes out different.

To get consistant results I am thinking that I'll need to snap a picture of a grey/white paper, use that as the white balance, protect it in the card, and use it the following week. Sound right?

Another question I have is if it is possible when I use the Custom White Balance setting with a pic of a white/grey piece of paper can I find out what the actual color temp that the camera used? I use DPP and PS 6.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance...

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 30, 2007 09:47 |  #2

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #2625296 (external link)
I have been having a hard time getting consistant white balance results using my 30D inside our church on the stage. 3 times a month I will take pictures on the same stage, same lighting using either RAW or Jpegs and everytime the white balance is different. 1) In the past I tried using the manual color temperature setting for all and it still comes out different.

2)To get consistant results I am thinking that I'll need to snap a picture of a grey/white paper, use that as the white balance, protect it in the card, and use it the following week. Sound right?

3)Another question I have is if it is possible when I use the Custom White Balance setting with a pic of a white/grey piece of paper can I find out what the actual color temp that the camera used? I use DPP and PS 6.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance...

1) What lighting? If flurescant tubes, that is bound to happen, since they 'shift color' as the mains cycle (50 or 60Hz depending on where you are). IIRC solution is to use a slower shutterspeed.
2) Not if light changes from week to week (FI when daylight mixes with ambient: Different time of day or different weather = different mix) In that case your best bet might be to make a CWB every time.
Also, be aware that if light isn't constant throughout the entire venue, you'ld need a few CWB's... RAW would be easier.
3) Not in DPP. ACR for instance does show the color temp when you use the 'eyedropper'.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 30, 2007 10:30 |  #3

Thanks for your answer Rene.
The stage has strong spotlight tungsten lighting. The light from the windows don't really come into play much as far as the white balance problem. I realize the spotlights will have different temps throughout the stage but even if I manually set the color temp in the camera (around 3700) there is a drastic change from one week to the next even on the same spot on the stage.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 30, 2007 10:51 |  #4

Maybe the spots are dimmed? That would cause them to become warmer in color.
That being said: Why not use the tungsten ('lightbulb') setting for WB?
Either that or K=3200 works fine for me...
Have a read here (external link).

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 30, 2007 11:07 |  #5

Thanks for the link. In DPP while I shot RAW I changed the color temp setting using the various temps and determined that around 3700 is the best. In the background are panels of wood that when in person are brown but were more red when the color temp was off.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Custom White Balance question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.