Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jan 2007 (Sunday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What size/Speed type computer are you using?

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 30, 2007 09:40 |  #31

I think it's key that your backup system be external to your computer, for two reasons. One, if you have a catastrophic event within the box, you could conceivably damage the backup disk (e.g., power supply surges) and Two, if your computer crashes, you can take your external disk to Kinko's or somewhere, rent a backup, and keep working.

to the O.P. question: iMac G5, 2GB RAM.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 30, 2007 09:41 |  #32

Jostel wrote in post #2625259 (external link)
I also have an external Maxtor Hard drive on which I store my pics, cuz, obviously, this little old 256 cant hold it all!!!! specially if I try and edit ANYTHING for posting!!! Oh, does it crash hard!!!!!!

Just to clarifiy, it sounds like one of us is confusing hard drive space with RAM,. or "memory" These are two very different things.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

JCR
dubiously affectionate
1,303 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 30, 2007 11:43 |  #33

xlr8ed wrote in post #2619370 (external link)
Thanks the same motherboard that I have. I picked up the CPU/MB/Ram combo off ebay for 550 shipped.... I couldn't pass it up. Added it twin raptors in Raid 0 and all was good.

aha you mean 150gb raptors then :)

Its a very nice combination, cheap and fast. Asus did cripple the board a little tho, 200mhz (800mhz) fsb is obtainable by jumpers on the motherboard but you need 2.4ghz xeons as on POST the cpu will operate at full speed for a half a second, the 2.4's don't mind. (xeons allow you to lower the multiplier) I have a hacked BIOS here microcodes from the NCH-DL (800bus) injected and some PCI table rerouting, theoretically it should support the noconas, but ill wait until I get a new machine before I play with that.

If your comfortable with clocking you have a good bit of headroom on those xeons.
use DDR 400, start the fsb increase @ 150mhz and lower memory timings to the slowest settings (largest numbers), you will get 3.2ghz guaranteed, possibly board max of 3.3ghz. A fan on the northbridge heatsink would be a good plan. You will need to use the onboard promise controller not the intel ICH5, the intel controller disables clocking features due to high sensitivity.

If it's a critical production machine ignore everything I said ;)

There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those that can and those that can't.

zasboy
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 30, 2007 12:30 |  #34

Also, a good clean computer is a fast computer.

- Make sure your OS is updated with the latest patches and fixes.
- Make sure you search and remove all spyware and viruses. I use Lavasoft Ad-ware and Norton Antivirus.
- Also run defragmentation on all your harddrives. If using Windows, you can use it's "Disk Defragmenter" software but some say it is not that a great of a software. I think it's fine.

Also, there are various tweaks you can do on certain OS. I found a thread in this forum but can't seem to find it but it was about tweaking Windows XP. Maybe someone can post up the link? I can't seem to find it.

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 30, 2007 12:36 |  #35

Dell XPS-200 Dual Core, 1GB RAM, 250GB sata HD. 19" Dell LCD.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,095 posts
Gallery: 3181 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 30, 2007 13:02 |  #36

vmad Dual Core is good,

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Ferco
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 30, 2007 13:13 |  #37

I would suggest; as said before me lol- get loads of RAM! Not sure over the mac or pc- if you can afford the mac pro then go for it- can upgrade with loads of RAM- but if not don't go for the imac- go PC... As for Vista; I don't rate it that much- just watched a BBC news review on it- They've basically nicked some of the best bits of mac and tried to make it look windows... NO! lol Mac is about to release... what is it again? anyway... Macs are awesome when it comes to non-business stuff and like home personal use; thought they have few games... But Aperture! lol looks awesome- with Adobe could be a nice mix! I believe most of the 'Pros' in the photography world use Mac; don't know if that's true but sounds nice lol- good selling point for Apple.

--edit-- ^^ the Dell XPS is a good option; but come one- 24inch Screen! lol

Perhaps Alienware is an option; dell bought them so... and they are a good make with lots of power; Grunt! (sorry i watch too much Tim Allen; home Improvement lol)

Canon Gripped 350D & 40D
100mm 2.8 Macro
| Canon 18-200mm IS
Canon 430ex Flash | Kenko 1.4x teleconvertor | Extension Tubes |
Slik pro 500DX tripod
www.mincher.smugmug.co​m (external link)

flash ­ burns
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 30, 2007 14:43 as a reply to  @ post 2617488 |  #38

Dell Dual Core 2.0 with 2GB ram runs PS plebty fast for me.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,218 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 30, 2007 17:45 |  #39

Dell XPS M1210 12"
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200
2GB Dual Shared Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz
100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

xlr8ed
21 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 01, 2007 22:36 |  #40

JCR wrote in post #2626013 (external link)
aha you mean 150gb raptors then :)

Its a very nice combination, cheap and fast. Asus did cripple the board a little tho, 200mhz (800mhz) fsb is obtainable by jumpers on the motherboard but you need 2.4ghz xeons as on POST the cpu will operate at full speed for a half a second, the 2.4's don't mind. (xeons allow you to lower the multiplier) I have a hacked BIOS here microcodes from the NCH-DL (800bus) injected and some PCI table rerouting, theoretically it should support the noconas, but ill wait until I get a new machine before I play with that.

If your comfortable with clocking you have a good bit of headroom on those xeons.
use DDR 400, start the fsb increase @ 150mhz and lower memory timings to the slowest settings (largest numbers), you will get 3.2ghz guaranteed, possibly board max of 3.3ghz. A fan on the northbridge heatsink would be a good plan. You will need to use the onboard promise controller not the intel ICH5, the intel controller disables clocking features due to high sensitivity.

If it's a critical production machine ignore everything I said ;)

Actually you were right the first time, they are not 15K, they're 10K raptors...It's been so long since I looked at the specs.

I'm not planning on overclocking, this thing is near silent and I have grown to like it. My next upgrade will more then likly be a Asus NCCH-DL, again from ebay...I'm not into playing the fast follower game anymore..I'll take the 12 -18 month old server stuff that smokes the "new hotness" on the market. There's nothing like encoding 2 DVD's, reading tut's of the web and working in photoshop at the same time...

Rebel XTI
Canon 17-85 - Sigma 70-300 DG APO - Canon 50 1.8
Manfrotto 680B + 486RC2
Tamrac Adventure 9

sponsored links

3,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
What size/Speed type computer are you using?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.