Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Jan 2007 (Tuesday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Polarizer that softens waterfall shots?

ScottNewMexico
76 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 30, 2007 18:55 |  #1

I have reviewed the Hoya S-HMC and the Singh-Ray Vari-ND products. I think that the VARI-ND will suit my needs just fine, but it's really expensive! (I think I would rather invest 340 on or towards a great lense!)

Will the Hoya S-HMC work for shooting soft-looking waterfalls and streams?

Really need some solid advice on this, but I have perhaps been asking the wrong questions on polarizers.

Canon Rebel XTi, Canon ES 70-200 F4 L, Singh-Ray Vari-ND, Canon Red #25 filter, Canon 18-55 Kit Lense, Canon UV-1 filter, AT-6703 Tripod (nice!), Canon A640, Lowepro Dryzone Rover Pack, 8GB PQI CF, Canon Battery Grip with 4 - 1500MAH batteries, Dual battery car charger. Every piece of my equipment was purchased based from recommendations from this forum!

sponsored links
T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 30, 2007 19:32 |  #2

For soft waterfalls and streams, try using a longer shutter speed.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

brunester
369 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 30, 2007 19:33 |  #3

to shoot soft waterfalls you need a tripod, then you just set it for a really long exposure(like 2-4 secs).
polarizers block about 2 stops so they help in getting the really long exposure, they also enrich the color a little bit.
so yeh the hoya hmc will help :D

-Eric
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Einstein

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 30, 2007 19:41 |  #4

... But what you probabely are looking for is an ND filter (neutral density).
A polariser blocks polarized light: Have a read here (external link) for the basics.
A vari-ND is two polarisers behind each other, so in essention you can vary the amount of light passed through by rotating them relatively to each other.
For experimenting, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives, so you can try out what (strenght ND) you need, before buying some expensive, good quality filter.
As mentioned above: A tripod is needed.
The only reason you are going to need an ND, is to block enough light so you are able to use a slow shutterspeed, without overexposing the photo. (Since you are probabely shooting during daytime)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 30, 2007 22:53 |  #5

Just use a Neutral Denisit Filter. Hoya for example made several different ones, to
reduce the amount of light that passes thru them, allowing longer exposure times.

ND2 = 1 stop
ND4 = 2 stops
ND8 = 3 stops
They also made a NDx400 = 9 stops

I have a NDx400 and in bright sunlight you can do 30 Second exposures.
I've taken pictures of streets, where people walking and cars moving
don't show up in the picture, because they weren't there long enough.

For water, I typically use an ND4 or ND8 to get what I want.

I assume this is the effect you want.

IMAGE: https://www.epsb.net/evan/water.jpg

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

ScottNewMexico
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 31, 2007 07:52 |  #6

Yes Evan, that image hits the nail on the head. Very nice waterfall! So the NDx400 is 4 stops? Variable? Not sure how many stops this particular filter is, but it seems great. Let me know what you think is the best setup to buy to accomplish this. I would like to have sunshine show through pretty well with the water softening effect. I will be mounting to 70-200mm F4 L (67mm).

Canon Rebel XTi, Canon ES 70-200 F4 L, Singh-Ray Vari-ND, Canon Red #25 filter, Canon 18-55 Kit Lense, Canon UV-1 filter, AT-6703 Tripod (nice!), Canon A640, Lowepro Dryzone Rover Pack, 8GB PQI CF, Canon Battery Grip with 4 - 1500MAH batteries, Dual battery car charger. Every piece of my equipment was purchased based from recommendations from this forum!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 31, 2007 09:35 |  #7

ND400 is Nine stops. That'd get you down around 4 sec. in open full sunlight at f/16 ISO 100. If you've got a polarizer already (and you should, for other uses as well), you can stack it with an ND for a couple of more stops; in that case a 3-stop ND would be fine for most purposes.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 31, 2007 13:05 |  #8

The NDx400 is 9 Stops, and on an average afternoon I can get 20 to 30 second exposures with bright sunlight,
if I set the lense to F12 or higher at ISO100.

I find that I don't use the NDx400 very much, but it's interesting to play with sometimes.

No, these filters are not variable, but you can get an idea of what you want from a couple filters such as
a ND4 and ND8 to see if you want to spend the money for the Sing-Ray Variable filter. You can buy quite
a few fixed filters for the price of one of them. And if you find a ND8 is enough to give you the 3 to 6 seconds
that you want for most moving water shots, why not spend the money on something else, like a
nice sturdy tripod or shutter release.

Also check out Hoya's Pol-fader http://www.hoyafilter.​com/products/hoya/oef-14.html (external link)
It may do what you want as well, and might be a good amount cheaper.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 31, 2007 14:53 |  #9

a CP will also allow you to minimize high-glare reflections from wet rocks. I've salvaged a couple of waterfall shots that way. ND filter doesn't have that benefit.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

sponsored links

1,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
Polarizer that softens waterfall shots?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.