Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jan 2007 (Monday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ultra II CF Cards

august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
3,125 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 29, 2007 00:03 |  #1

Just wondering, is there a huge difference between Ultra II and Extreme III? Because on newegg, a 1GB Ultra II CF card costs a mere 28 bucks. So getting 3 GB's worth of storage for under 100 bucks sounds pretty good to me. The extreme III 2GB is almost double that price. So which way should I go?

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 29, 2007 00:07 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

for your P&S, the ultra II is more than adequate. the III is about 2x the speed, but few cameras can take advanatge of that.

there are other good deals like 2gb ultra II for $39, or 4gb ridata for under 100

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER
3,130 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 29, 2007 00:12 as a reply to  @ coreypolis's post |  #3

The performance difference between the Ultra II and Extreme III is almost nothing. The Ultra II is even faster in some cameras with JPEG, and the Extreme III has a slight edge in RAW, but 5% increase at best.

Philip Casciola
Pro Camera Gear (external link) - POTN Shop (external link)
Canon 7D, EF 50/1.8, EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4L IS, EF-S 18-55, Tamron 28-75/2.8, EF 70-200/2.8L IS
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip

DEMO
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 29, 2007 00:14 |  #4

coreypolis wrote in post #2617617 (external link)
for your P&S, the ultra II is more than adequate. the III is about 2x the speed, but few cameras can take advanatge of that.

there are other good deals like 2gb ultra II for $39, or 4gb ridata for under 100

As we speak the Sandisk 2gb ultra II's are $24.99 (after $20 mail-in rebate) from FRYS/outpost.com with free shipping..

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

august23
THREAD ­ STARTER
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
3,125 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 29, 2007 00:15 |  #5

Thanks guys but the cards are actually gonna be for my 400D when I buy it a couple months from now. :)

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 29, 2007 00:18 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

really doesn't change much

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 29, 2007 00:35 |  #7

august23 wrote in post #2617655 (external link)
Thanks guys but the cards are actually gonna be for my 400D when I buy it a couple months from now. :)

For a 400D I'd get the Ultra II's unless you can get the Extremes for essentially the same price.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

jdmwerks
171 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 31, 2007 10:15 |  #8

I wouldnt order these off ebay, theres tons of fake cards flating around which I made the mistake of doing. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

7D \\ 10-22mm \\ 35L \\ 50mm f/1.4 \\ 70-200 f/4 L

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jan 31, 2007 10:25 |  #9

I shoot almost exclusively with 2gb Ultra IIs...best bang for the buck in my book. I have a couple of Extremes...but those are reserved for "extreme" conditions.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 31, 2007 10:30 |  #10

I have 3X 2gig in ultra II. I love them. never had any problem whatsoever.

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

Dave_G
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 31, 2007 10:32 |  #11

I've got a couple of Ultra IIs and a couple of Extreme IIIs that I use in my 20Ds

The Extreme is around 12-15 seconds quicker to clear the buffer, that's with jpeg - haven't tried it RAW.

I only bought them as they were cheap - £18 each. The Ultra IIs cost £15 each.

Yes they are genuine before anyone asks! ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS SE| Don't make a 70-200 thread | Pan Master™ © Allen Mead | Skodalover |Hippopotomonstrosesqui​ppedaliophobia- Fear of long words... | now with 17s, a turbo, rear tints, dual climate, cruise... must be a new company car

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 31, 2007 11:27 |  #12

Extreme IV
40MB/second read/write
Extreme III
20MB/second read/write
Ultra II
10MB/second read/write
Of course additional spec differences also apply.

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 31, 2007 11:34 |  #13

After trying both Ultra II and Extreme III on 10/20/30D, I decided that the Ultra II would be a better match for me. And it was, I now carry four 2GB cards for two cameras, and I can never tell which one is the Extreme III. I am sure there are some differences, and that some cameras make better use of those, but I have never felt such advantage at all. To the contrary, I found better prices with Ultra II. (Believe it or not, Costco had some on sale, exact same as BH, same wrapping, bar code, etc- and I bought three for very cheap, never a single problem).

After two cards per camera, I bought a Storage Solution, the Epson P-3000, and that is the end all discussions about cards for me. With time I will replace some cards, but I will never have more than two per camera. The Epson P-3000 transferred 1GB from CF in a little less than two minutes. To me, that is perfect when the Device has 40Gb, and at least enough battery to fill the entire space.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 31, 2007 11:40 |  #14

I have Extreme III and Ultra II cards (512, 1GB & 2GB)...I don't notice a difference between them, with normal shooting with a 20D.

I have plain Sandisk and Kingston cards that are noticeably slower when chimping...probably slower for extended bursts...but I don't shoot that way very often.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

b00ty
473 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 31, 2007 21:08 |  #15

There's probably a noticeable difference from when you are transfering the pictures to your computer, as long as you are using a card reader.

-Phil McGuire
[Canon 5D Mark II & Grip][EF 24-70 f2.8 L][EF 70-200 f4 L]
[580 EX][430 EX][540 EZ][Vivitar 285HV]
[LIghtstands][Umbrella​s][CyberSync Triggers]

sponsored links

1,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ultra II CF Cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.