Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Feb 2007 (Friday) 15:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

tripod/ball head combo

toothtango
86 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 02, 2007 15:20 |  #1

I am looking for a a strong lightweight tripod and ballhead for my 1dsMII. Largest lens is 100-400. Budget is 1000. THanks.

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 02, 2007 15:43 |  #2

You don't need to spend anywhere near $1000. Check out the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro (055ProB outside the U.S.), topped off with the Bogen/Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head. This is not Rolls Royce stuff (ultra quality and probably overpriced, that is), but a very good quality and highly versatile package for about $250 U.S.

If you spend twice the money for the tripod legs, you can get a carbon fiber model that weighs a whole one pound less. I opted to spend my money more wisely, as the 3021BPro is easily carried across my back with the "long strap" that is offered as an accessory for the tripod.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 02, 2007 16:24 |  #3

I have the 3021BPro like Skip does and will be getting the 488RC2 ball head (Monday),although I dont have a 1d body or a 100-400mm lens, I will throw out a second option. If your wondering about weigh cap. Ive researched the Giottos 9170 (weight cap @ 26 lbs) at a price of $149.95 (external link) along with the Giottos 100 ball-head w/ 652 QR(22 lbs) at the price of $108.95 (external link)
Dont sound too bad as a deal, but again Im just throwing out a second option.:) Good luck with your search.

flickr (external link)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 02, 2007 16:31 |  #4

I've got the 488RC0 with the 3047. It holds up my mamiya rb67 without any problem at all. Probably less than $150.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,100 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 02, 2007 16:40 |  #5

If you really want to spend $1k, then do so on the Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber and the RRS BH55 head.

Otherwise, I agree the 3021 pro is a great set of legs and more than enough for your gear.
Other heads to consider are the RRS, Kirk, and on the cheap the Manfrottos and Giottos have nice lines.

Personally I'd go for one of the beefier heads than the 488 for the MkII and tele-lenses.
The 490 and 468 are more of a match to those legs, .. the largest Giottos, and also the Acratech would be perfect.
All are in the $170.00 - $275.00 range.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DavidEB
Goldmember
3,117 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 03, 2007 09:28 |  #6

the big decision is ARCA or non-ARCA.

ARCA (RRS, Kirk, acratech etc...) is more solid. The plates are custom-fit to the body (or lens foot) so there's no chance of twist or rotation. But, as the saying (almost) goes, you pay for what you get. ARCA is more expensive.

Am very fond of the Acratech. amazingly flexible.

David
my stuff - [URL="http://www.pbase​.com/davideb"]my gallery - [URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3928125&postcou​nt=1"]go Rats!

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 04, 2007 09:15 |  #7

toothtango wrote in post #2644266 (external link)
I am looking for a a strong lightweight tripod and ballhead for my 1dsMII. Largest lens is 100-400. Budget is 1000. THanks.

The BEST solution for that budget is the new Gitzo 3540LS and either the Markins M20 or the Really Right Stuff BH55. THis is absolutely the best combination of stability and light weight that I have seen in one package. On top of that, it will outlast you.

You could also use the 2530/40 (about the same as the 1257/8 that preceded it ) and the RRS BH40. That would be excellent, you would be within its load range as well but at the top end of the recommended lens size.

I'd go with the first setup.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

sponsored links

2,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
tripod/ball head combo
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.