Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 03 Feb 2007 (Saturday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kielder water

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 03, 2007 13:06 |  #1

Lovely part of Northumberland this is a view East down Kielder Reservoir.
Thought i would try to take a few landscape shots today so out with my 350D + 18-55mm kit lens, not much worked but i liked this shot, i normally shoot birds so any C&C welcomed as i would like to develop my landscape abilities.

regards Brian.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

sponsored links
pheelfresh
114 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 03, 2007 17:01 |  #2

It's a nice photo.

There are a couple of things that could be improved upon though. The branches to the left and the trees to the right are a little disturbance to the whole scene. I like how you placed the island in the frame though.

Another thing is the washed out lower part of the sky. Perhaps a darker exposure could have been layered here and manually masked into the shot. A little more contrast wouldn't hurt either.

All in all a nice shot that could be improved upon.

pheelfresh@deviantART (external link)
Canon EOS 5D - Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 50 f/1.4 USM
I almost never set out to photograph a landscape, nor do I think of my camera as a means of recording
a mountain or an animal unless I absolutely need a 'record shot'. My first thought is always of light. -Galen Rowell

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 03, 2007 19:47 |  #3

Thanks Pheelfresh, i actually wanted to include the branches to the left as i thought a little something in the foreground was a requirement to a landscape photo.

I was not too sure about the right hand side of the picture though i can see your viewpoint.

Dont know about a darker exposure though my photoshop skills are very limited , i know i have not produced a landscape pic that reproduces what i see so im open too any comments that move me in that direction.
So i hope a few more will take me to task.

regards brian.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

pheelfresh
114 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 04, 2007 04:57 |  #4

cannylad wrote in post #2650227 (external link)
Thanks Pheelfresh, i actually wanted to include the branches to the left as i thought a little something in the foreground was a requirement to a landscape photo.

I was not too sure about the right hand side of the picture though i can see your viewpoint.

Dont know about a darker exposure though my photoshop skills are very limited , i know i have not produced a landscape pic that reproduces what i see so im open too any comments that move me in that direction.
So i hope a few more will take me to task.

regards brian.

About foregrounds. I actually think the lower part of the water works well as the foreground. And bare in mind, there aren't any rules or requirements per se, but rather guidelines on how to compose. In your particular photo I believe you don't need any additional foreground. That will just make the photo seem cluttered. This is also personal preference though. I like the more minimalist compositions. Less is more basically.

I'm also thinking about writing up a little tutorial that describes my own post-processing techniques in Photoshop CS2.

In short, when I find that the light is too strong to get a correctly exposed sky (as im most landscape shots) I expose the sky and land/water separately and layer them on top of each other in Photoshop. If shooting in RAW you can do this by adjusting brightness/exposure in whatever RAW editor you're using.

I layer the brightest exposures to the bottom and build it up from there with the darkest on the top. Then, I use a soft eraser with around 20-25 % opacity and flow to mask out the layers. Works pretty much as a graduated neutral density filter would. You get both the sky and the land/water correctly exposed. But I feel you have even more freedom in getting the photo exactly as you want it (especially handy if you are going for the more "artsy" look in your photo).

I hope you understand what I write. This is not my first language.

pheelfresh@deviantART (external link)
Canon EOS 5D - Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 50 f/1.4 USM
I almost never set out to photograph a landscape, nor do I think of my camera as a means of recording
a mountain or an animal unless I absolutely need a 'record shot'. My first thought is always of light. -Galen Rowell

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 04, 2007 05:17 |  #5

pheelfresh wrote in post #2652082 (external link)
About foregrounds. I actually think the lower part of the water works well as the foreground. And bare in mind, there aren't any rules or requirements per se, but rather guidelines on how to compose. In your particular photo I believe you don't need any additional foreground. That will just make the photo seem cluttered. This is also personal preference though. I like the more minimalist compositions. Less is more basically.

I'm also thinking about writing up a little tutorial that describes my own post-processing techniques in Photoshop CS2.

In short, when I find that the light is too strong to get a correctly exposed sky (as im most landscape shots) I expose the sky and land/water separately and layer them on top of each other in Photoshop. If shooting in RAW you can do this by adjusting brightness/exposure in whatever RAW editor you're using.

I layer the brightest exposures to the bottom and build it up from there with the darkest on the top. Then, I use a soft eraser with around 20-25 % opacity and flow to mask out the layers. Works pretty much as a graduated neutral density filter would. You get both the sky and the land/water correctly exposed. But I feel you have even more freedom in getting the photo exactly as you want it (especially handy if you are going for the more "artsy" look in your photo).

I hope you understand what I write. This is not my first language.

I agree with this. A foreground doesn't have to be something additional in the shot. It can be simply be the texture of your water or land etc; if the texture is interesting enough that is :D

Anyway, I've been to this location a few times and it really is beautiful (my g/f dad lives in a village about 20 minutes away).
You must have an awesome time taking shots of the birdlife up there... the last time I was there (about a month ago), I saw buzzard after buzzard. They are truly big birds.. one had just caught prey near the resevior about 2 minutes before I saw it.

Gear

cannylad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 04, 2007 14:30 |  #6

Thanks guys for your input I'm very grateful for you taking the time to comment.

Adam its a raptor paradise, i will spend a lot of time there towards the end of March and early April as birds of prey will start to display then, its a great area to watch Buzzards Goshawk Sparrowhawk, Peregrine strut there stuff, and Merlin, Kestrel, Hen Harrier, Osprey, can also be observed

Brian R
Canon 1.4 extender.

KenAdams
121 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 05, 2007 09:37 as a reply to  @ cannylad's post |  #7

Nice shot, I'd agree with the comment re the trees at either edge, but I do like the use of the water in the foreground. I hope it's that blue next time I'm up that way.

I don't know which part of Geordieland you're in, but there are some good hides in the Thornley area - about 5 minutes from the MetroCentre. Quite a variety at each, also there were a dozen or more Red Kites over Gibside last weekend. :) Typically, the best shot coincided with my CF card being full. :oops:

Thanks for the tip re. time of the year. Can you suggest a good viewing area, or is it just luck?

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 05, 2007 10:47 |  #8

I didn't know Hen Harriers and Osprey were up there.. That sounds great, perhaps I'll venture up there more often.
Luckily for me, I get along well with the g/f's old man :D
I remember seeing a smallish raptor (not sure what it was) ducking and diving along the moors near that area. It was awesome to see, they fly so low and are so quick.

Gear

sponsored links

1,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kielder water
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.