Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Feb 2007 (Saturday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10D capable of 20x30 print?

jej826
733 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2007 07:53 |  #16

Steiglitz wrote in post #2685904 (external link)
Nope, 6mp is not good enough for such large enlargements, in fact it is pitifully not enough...sure you can use fancy interpolation programs to res up an image but often pixelation and other digital artifacts get introduced. Detail gets smeared, blured, and unless you are viewing the poster from several feet away it will look soft,

Who looks at posters from inches away?Why would you want to?That would be like looking at a billboard from a couple feet away.Who does that?

Jim

Canon 20D, Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 18-55 f/4-5.6 USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, POTN neckstrap

sponsored links
johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 11, 2007 11:30 as a reply to  @ jej826's post |  #17

I've printed one photo at 20x30 from my 10D. That was three years ago. I hung it on my wall in the den in a cheap plastic frame, my mother in law took it down and gave it to my sister in law for Christmas. She took it out and had it matted and framed and it's now hanging on her living room wall. She gets compliments about it all the time.

YES, you can print at 20x30 from a Canon 10D and with excellent results!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 11, 2007 13:36 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

jej826 wrote in post #2689748 (external link)
Who looks at posters from inches away?Why would you want to?That would be like looking at a billboard from a couple feet away.Who does that?

Have you ever walked into a gallery and noticed all the people looking at the photos right up close. A large photo with fine detail draws the person in closer to explore this detail. If you have a photo which blurs this fine detail, your audience will be very disappointed when viewing up close. I've seen this time and again where an image looks great far away, but up close it totally falls apart as people come in for more detail. This is where you'll definitely notice a difference between images blown up from a 5D and 10D. No comparison as far as I'm concerned. There is also a leap when the images are from medium / large formats scanned to high resolution. Again, the fine detail leaps ahead of the 5d image.

Of course, if the original image did not have fine detail, then the 10D is just fine.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 11, 2007 13:52 |  #19

jej826 wrote in post #2689748 (external link)

It appears there are a couple of people that feel that is necessary. The real world knows that you can make large high quality enlargements from most any camera, provided you have a high quality image to work with. High quality pixels are way more important than high quantities of pixels. A fifty mega-pixel picture of a pile of crap is still just a photo of a pile of crap.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 11, 2007 16:46 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Woolburr wrote in post #2691126 (external link)
It appears there are a couple of people that feel that is necessary. The real world knows that you can make large high quality enlargements from most any camera, provided you have a high quality image to work with. High quality pixels are way more important than high quantities of pixels. A fifty mega-pixel picture of a pile of crap is still just a photo of a pile of crap.

Not only a few. Just go visit a fine art photo gallery and you'll see everyone approach the photos on display and look at them first from about 5 feet away, then they will approach the photo right up close. Happens all the time.

Now if you are starting off with very few pixels ( 6 meg ) and blowing it up to 20x24, you'll end up with a quote "pile of crap" when view up close. Been there done that, don't want to do it again.

tara95
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2007 17:03 |  #21

Hogloff wrote in post #2691796 (external link)
Not only a few. Just go visit a fine art photo gallery and you'll see everyone approach the photos on display and look at them first from about 5 feet away, then they will approach the photo right up close. Happens all the time.

Now if you are starting off with very few pixels ( 6 meg ) and blowing it up to 20x24, you'll end up with a quote "pile of crap" when view up close. Been there done that, don't want to do it again.

Cant argue your points--- BUT---By your logic here is that all pics from a 10d become obsolete when the 20d came out. All pics by the 20d become obsolete when the 5d came out etc etc etc. Infact we all waste our time and money buying lesser cameras the only camera to buy is the 1ds mk11, because all other pics are " a pile of crap ".So now i know where i am going wrong--thankyou i will now dump my 20d and mug some old lady for her life savings to buy a mega mega mega mega 1ds mk11.I must inform Canon that they musnt sell anything than a 1ds mk11.Some of the best pics were taken on pinhole and very very very very standard cameras with 100 year old technology and are probably far superior to anything you or me could ever do.

klibble
50 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2007 17:07 |  #22

I enlarged a lighthouse photo from my digital rebel (6.1 mp) through Shutterfly ( a free offer I recieved form Amazon when OI bought my new XTi) and it came out great.

Canon Rebel XTi w/17-55 kit lens
Canon 70-200 L/, Canon "Nifty Fifty"
Tamron 200-500, Canon 430EX Flash
Bogen 3021Pro Tripod w/488RC2 Head

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2007 17:21 |  #23

I would think a fine art photographer that cares about pleasing measurbators would shoot medium or large format in the first place. A venue run by measurbators of like mind wouldn't display pieces that do not fit their expectations anyway.

Doesn't matter if people pixel peep. That doesn't make them "right".

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 11, 2007 17:21 |  #24

The Mona Lisa looks has less resolution viewed close up than a 20x30 inch print from a 10D, but I have never heard that paiting described as a "pile of crap".

If close up resolution was really that important, all those 5D owners would be pawning their cameras and taking a mortgage out on their house to buy a 39 megapixel Hasselblad H3D 39. If you stand with your nose to the print the Hassy image will make the one from the 5D look like a "pile of crap" by your standards since the 10D is closer to the 5D in resolution than the 5D is to the 30 mp Hassy.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 11, 2007 17:22 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

tara95 wrote in post #2691859 (external link)
Cant argue your points--- BUT---By your logic here is that all pics from a 10d become obsolete when the 20d came out. All pics by the 20d become obsolete when the 5d came out etc etc etc. Infact we all waste our time and money buying lesser cameras the only camera to buy is the 1ds mk11, because all other pics are " a pile of crap ".So now i know where i am going wrong--thankyou i will now dump my 20d and mug some old lady for her life savings to buy a mega mega mega mega 1ds mk11.I must inform Canon that they musnt sell anything than a 1ds mk11.Some of the best pics were taken on pinhole and very very very very standard cameras with 100 year old technology and are probably far superior to anything you or me could ever do.

I am not saying that the 20d camera is obsolete...in fact I shoot digital with the 20d. I am saying that your should not be fooled into thinking that you can blow up a 6meg picture to 20x24 size and expect fantastic detail. Just won't happen.

The 10D pixel resolution is 3072 x 2048 so that leaves about 128 x 102 real pixels if you are printing a 20x24 photo. Yes you can interpolate up...but interpolation is not adding information that was not there in the first place. If the original image had any kind of detail, printing it at 20x24 will just "mush...could not think of a better term" what detail there was.

I limit my 20d photos to 11x14, and at this size it still retains good detail.

shiato ­ storm
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2007 18:00 |  #26

who's the bright spark comparing the 10D to the 5D directly? of course the 5D's going to produce a higher detailed result - its got twice the resolution! who gets the prize? who...?

jej826
733 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2007 18:05 |  #27

Woolburr wrote in post #2691126 (external link)

Well said.

Jim

Canon 20D, Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 18-55 f/4-5.6 USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, POTN neckstrap

tara95
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2007 18:25 |  #28

Kind of discussion that does your head in.

Question--- Can a 10d pic be blown up to 20 x 30 ---answer YES but it wont be as good as a 5d or 1ds mk11 pic at that size !!!!!!

Right now i am off to bed !

Shutter22
I'm very sensitive
1,379 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 11, 2007 18:28 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #2691937 (external link)
I am not saying that the 20d camera is obsolete...in fact I shoot digital with the 20d. I am saying that your should not be fooled into thinking that you can blow up a 6meg picture to 20x24 size and expect fantastic detail. Just won't happen.

The 10D pixel resolution is 3072 x 2048 so that leaves about 128 x 102 real pixels if you are printing a 20x24 photo. Yes you can interpolate up...but interpolation is not adding information that was not there in the first place. If the original image had any kind of detail, printing it at 20x24 will just "mush...could not think of a better term" what detail there was.

I limit my 20d photos to 11x14, and at this size it still retains good detail.

I feel very bad if you're limiting your 20D prints to 11X14. You might as well buy an S2IS.

Danielle
http://flickr.com/phot​os/danielledeleon/ (external link)https://photography-on-the.net/forum/danielle​.dphoto.com

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 11, 2007 19:02 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Shutter22 wrote in post #2692243 (external link)
I feel very bad if you're limiting your 20D prints to 11X14. You might as well buy an S2IS.

Don't feel bad for me. I use a Pentax 6x7 camera for my landscape work and have sold images up to sizes 24x36. My 20D is used for all my non-landscape images which typically get printed to 8x10.

sponsored links

9,945 views & 4 likes for this thread
10D capable of 20x30 print?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.