Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Aug 2004 (Sunday) 18:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G6 - Still No AF Assist Support from EX Flashes?

jpmccormac
122 posts
Joined Dec 2001

Aug 22, 2004 18:19 |  #1

Based on initial previews it looks like the G6 AF Assist is no better than the one on the G5/G3. Unless the G6 allows use of the near IR AF assist of the EX flashes, the G6 is not improved for low light focusing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sponsored links
FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Aug 22, 2004 18:54 |  #2

...and there probably never will be. The compact digicams all rely on green light to focus on, as there are more green pixels on a CCD than blue or red (BGRG), that is why sometime focusing on objects not reflecting much green light (red, blue and magenta all have none) can be a little difficult.

Since the AF asset is red, it will be of no use, as the camera will not ‘see’ the light at all.

Works fine with a digital SLR, as they don't use the CCD/CMOS image to focus with.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

s00pcan
261 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Aug 23, 2004 06:11 |  #3

FlyingPete wrote:
...and there probably never will be. The compact digicams all rely on green light to focus on, as there are more green pixels on a CCD than blue or red (BGRG), that is why sometime focusing on objects not reflecting much green light (red, blue and magenta all have none) can be a little difficult.

Since the AF asset is red, it will be of no use, as the camera will not ‘see’ the light at all.

Works fine with a digital SLR, as they don't use the CCD/CMOS image to focus with.

Color doesn't matter that much since they only use edge contrast to determine if it is in focus or not.

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 23, 2004 06:56 |  #4

s00pcan wrote:
Color doesn't matter that much since they only use edge contrast to determine if it is in focus or not.

Unfortunately, it does matter, as a green sensor will not perceive an edge contrast illuminated with red light, because red light is completely filtered out by the green filter in front of the photo site.

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

JohnR
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 07, 2004 10:57 |  #5

Finally a clear explanation on this issue. Thanks a lot.

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 07, 2004 13:22 |  #6

An interesting thing I have read about Sony camera, is that they use a red laser for focus assist, so the green thing must be Canon Specific.

I had read somewhere that you can now get green laser pointers, so I though it might be worth looking at one of those to project a pattern for focus assist, well too issues, they are incredibly bright, and have you seen the price!!!

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

Deckyon
624 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 08, 2004 10:24 |  #7

I have used a "patterned" red laser pointer in the same way Sony uses theirs and have gotten quick, tack-sharp low-light images.

You can get green pointers, but I have yet to see one with a patern. Just the "point" of the pointer will not work. Sony's cameras use a pattern, not a point.

Brad Buskey
http://www.sturmphoto.​com (external link)

Canon EOS 1D Mark II
Canon EOS 20D
Canon EF L Lenses
Omega View 45F Monorail View Camera

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,135 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 09, 2004 20:41 |  #8

Deckyon wrote:
I have used a "patterned" red laser pointer in the same way Sony uses theirs and have gotten quick, tack-sharp low-light images.

You can get green pointers, but I have yet to see one with a patern. Just the "point" of the pointer will not work. Sony's cameras use a pattern, not a point.

Have you shot an image of the laser and used photoshop or simular to out all the light but green? (Can you drop colour channels with a RAW importer?) Would be interesting to see if it shows up, if it doesn't perhaps the green pixel thing is not entirely true!

On the green laser thing, they should work with the red laser pattern filters too, haven't got the $$$ to find out!

Peter Lowden.

sponsored links

1,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
G6 - Still No AF Assist Support from EX Flashes?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.