Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2007 (Tuesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #106 - Serenity

abat
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 19, 2007 07:53 as a reply to  @ post 2732384 |  #16

Thankyou everyone for your serene entries. The contest is now closed for judging.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

sponsored links
rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 19, 2007 22:51 |  #17

We must have put you to sleep. :-)

~ Clint :: Galleries (external link) :: Marketplace Feedback (external link)

abat
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 19, 2007 23:18 as a reply to  @ rowdyred94's post |  #18

Thank you everyone for the great turnout and the high standard of entries – I have certainly been sleeping well this week. There are many images here that instilled a peaceful sense of serenity, both through natural scenes and also through people and places.

Even as I post this I am still wanting more time to consider my choices but here goes….

First Place: alans220 - Still Waters - I can just picture myself sitting by this lake and being totally absorbed by the serenity of the scene. You've captured beautifully the difficult lighting and the composition is very well balanced and has tremendous depth. Everything about this shot is soothing.

Second Place: Tekay - Morning at Duck Lake - A fine landscape shot. I particularly like the "softness" about this photo and the exposure and composition are excellent. It is a very uncluttered photo and together with the soothing colours it works wonders for my feeling of serenity.

Third Place: rowdyred94 - No place as safe - This is beautiful and a very special memory. Beautiful toning and lovely soft focus on the hands whilst sharp around the face. Beautiful.

Special Mention: dbump - Quiet Back Yard - You're so lucky to have this scene in your back yard. The trees (Aspens?) are so pretty to look at and you've made a very pleasing composition. The lightning is handled well with good detail and exposure on the tree trunks without blowing the background whites out. Very restful.

Special Mention: gabrioladude - ..and their thoughts were on a world with peace.. - the colours, lighting and composition are wonderful. It is no little feat to have lovely detail in the stained glass as well as good lighting in the interior of the church. This is a special place and you have captured the atmosphere perfectly.

And in alphabetical order:

3Dart – serenite now ….! – this is a nice flower shot. It’s great seeing the detail in the stamens and I like the dew drops too. It’s nicely composed and the out-of-focus background on the left is very pleasing.

Boutty - country road - such a great message. Here you are in the midst of a beautiful pastoral scene and there is a sign telling you to keep quiet. The composition and message is strong and the lighting, although harsh, is handled well. Fore!!!!

Boxlocks – a cute shot of your dog – and he certainly looks serene - although it doesn’t stir my emotions as much as rowdyred94’s child. Dreaming of dinner no doubt.

gewb - Rocky Mnt. National Park - I like the flowing water in your shot and I’m very impressed that this was captured handheld. It's a nice composition and I like the highlights on the water in the background – these give the photo depth.

labbai – Calm water - this must have been a very long exposure as the water is quite silky flowing over the rocks. I like the idea and the atmosphere but find the main rock too central.

marie - I'd be very proud to have this shot in my collection. I'm imagining that this is the seaside, or a harbour wall, and this man is taking a well-earned rest from his hectic delivery schedule. I particularly like the bird in the sky - it reinforces a sense of peace and also freedom from the everyday world.

nomel - peaceful pondering - my first thought was wow! this is an interesting photo but what is it doing in a serenity challenge. Upon further reflection, and this photo does make me reflect, I came to the understanding that even flies are deserving of a little peace and serenity from their busy lives.

rpolitsr – countryside – this looks a nice place to rest in the afternoon with a cool drink. The greens are quite soothing.

webrunner5gt – looking above – there’s some interesting textures in the thatched roof and the straw colour works nicely with the sky. I find the clouds too burnt out though. Are you lying on a beach looking up? That would be restful.

abat
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 19, 2007 23:21 |  #19

rowdyred94 wrote in post #2739360 (external link)
We must have put you to sleep. :-)

All to do with time zones I think (oh, .... and I tried to be good at work today);).

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 20, 2007 01:04 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #20

:cool:

Congratulations to the winner and runners up

# 1 Alans220

# 2 Teekay

# 3 Rowdyred94

some beautiful entries

thank you very much for judging with all the comments about the pictures Abat

:)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

nomel
200 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 20, 2007 01:37 |  #21

abat wrote:
"nomel - peaceful pondering - my first thought was wow! this is an interesting photo but what is it doing in a serenity challenge. Upon further reflection, and this photo does make me reflect, I came to the understanding that even flies are deserving of a little peace and serenity from their busy lives."

Going out into nature alone and pondering is where I find my serenity. :-) I guess I am the fly in that photo :-)

abat
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 20, 2007 01:37 |  #22

marie wrote in post #2739884 (external link)
:cool:

thank you very much for judging with all the comments about the pictures Abat

:)

Thank you Marie - I find it enjoyable, especially given the pictures are so good. Andrew

abat
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 20, 2007 01:45 |  #23

nomel wrote in post #2739986 (external link)
Going out into nature alone and pondering pondering is where I find my serenity. :-) I guess I am the fly in that photo :smile:

It is good when photograhy makes us think outside the ordinary. Thank you again for sharing such an interesting photograph / idea.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2007 06:04 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #24

Congrats to the winners - Alans220, Teekay & Rowdyred94 ! Great topic abat! Thank you for hosting and commenting on all of the entries. I hope you didn't have to stay back for taking a longer break to do the judging on our entries?!? :lol:

Well done to everyone! Your entries are enjoyable to examine. As abat's sharp eye found out; my photo was taken on a country club one early morning. :p

rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2007 07:34 |  #25

Congrats to alans220 and teekay! Wonderful shots.

Thanks to abat for a successful contest.

gabrioladude
422 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 20, 2007 07:49 as a reply to  @ Boutty's post |  #26

Congratulations to Allan, Teekay and Clint for their images. They certainly do an excellent job at conveying the theme.

also a thanks to Andrew for hosting the challenge. Your remarks remind me of the type of comments I hear at our local camera club judging. They are very perceptive and supportive. I had not yet taken the opportunity of checking out your Pbase web site. You have some very nice images.

thank you for your kind comments on my image. It was a challenge figuring out what I was going to enter this week. I knew that a serene nature scene is what the topic really cried out for but with the weather we have been having in Toronto this week (our biggest snow storm of the year) that would be out of the question for me so I reflected on where does one feel serene and the idea of church came to mind. I had visited this church before and felt I could get a nice image. To my surprise there were people in the church and it looked like a service was about to start, so I didn't even enter. I thought well maybe I could get one shoot through the window which I tried (using my tripod as a monopod). I have posted it here (first image). After looking at it I wondered what the stained glass at the top of the image was. It occurred to me that these were refections from behind me (I was in the foyer of the church). You can see I had to do some minor adjustments to my original.

I did leave there and got some other nice images in another church but they did not convey the feeling nearly as well. I have attached one of the stained glass images I captured in the second church (second image). I did use my tripod there (no flash). There was just organ practice underway (very enjoyable) and the custodian gave me permission to take photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank (aka Gabrioladude)
Canon 5DmkII, 20D, XSi
my flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/feberdt/ (external link)

gabrioladude
422 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 20, 2007 07:59 as a reply to  @ gabrioladude's post |  #27

further to my earlier point on Toronto's weather. These were taken this past Saturday. A friend shot pictures of me while I was taking pictures...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Frank (aka Gabrioladude)
Canon 5DmkII, 20D, XSi
my flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/feberdt/ (external link)

rowdyred94
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2007 08:16 |  #28

Wow. I hope you had long underwear on, at least! I'm getting cold just seeing you in jeans.

webrunner5gt
90 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 20, 2007 08:55 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #29

Congratulations to everyone and especially to the winners of the competition.

Abat, the subject you selected was very nice. I also want to thank you for your comments on my photograph. I was indeed lying under this thatched roof, it is on Golden beach at Paros island, Greece. The clouds are too burnt out indeed, I was at a phase of overexposing pictures.

Nice work everybody!

My best,
Christos

gallery (external link) - gear (current, WTS and WTB)
---------------
dreamlucidandalwaysremember

teekay
Goldmember
3,013 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 20, 2007 10:58 as a reply to  @ webrunner5gt's post |  #30

Thanks, Abat, for the second place and I quite agree that Alans220 deserved the top spot - a most serene image.

Re my Duck lake shot, I was looking through my archives for a good serene one and tried applying the "soft focus" effect in PSP to the original image. I had never used this particular effect before since I usually aim for really sharp images, but I liked the way it made a photo actually shot at high noon look as if it was taken in early morning mist. I must use it more often ;)

sponsored links

10,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #106 - Serenity
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.