Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Feb 2007 (Friday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Is Connected to Your Most Used Computer?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 20, 2007 12:39 |  #61

You ask a tough question - what is my most-used computer? All of them have all of the following available (usually with redundancy)
Some kind of USB mouse
KVM to MS Natural keyboard
Printer's on the LAN
Network cable (or 802.11g, depending on where I (computer doesn't matter; they've all got it available) am)
Wacom tablet (with occasional exception of the Portege M-205 which doesn't need it)
Flashtrax 80 GB
Fotochute 20 GB
Assorted USB flash drives and U3 drives
TV adapter when I feel like it
2x Seagate 300 GB USB2/FireWire HDDs
Laptops usually have an external DVD burner attached.
GPS, although the plot on the tower is kinda dull
Card readers
Tower's got a set of Logitech 5:1 speakers
Spyder II Pro

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
KirkM
373 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 20, 2007 17:58 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #62

PowerMac G5
20" Cinema Display
LaCie d2 DVD±RW FW Drive
Two LaCie d2 FW Hard Drives 320GB
Canon MP 810 Multifunction Printer
Samson C01U USB Microphone
Sennheiser HD-280 Headphones
Lexar FW Card Reader
Canon GL2 or ZR200
iPod 5G
iPod Nano
Tungsten "E"
Airport Express

MacBook
Mouse
Airport Express
50" Panasonic Plasma (sometimes)
GL2 (sometimes
C01U (sometimes)

7D | 10D | 50 f1.4 (broken) | 17-40 f4.0 | 70-200 f2.8 | 300 F4.0 | 1.4x II | EF 25 II | 550 EX | 27" iMac i7

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 20, 2007 18:18 |  #63

SuzyView wrote in post #2727194 (external link)
Manny, I really like that! I'm going to have to have you come up here and show me how you do that. :) Norfolk is only a few hours away. How do you feel about Chinese food? :)

2 monitors is a beautiful thing, Suzy. As long as they're both calibrated. Which I need to do again...

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 20, 2007 20:13 |  #64

How cute is that baby? :)

Thanks so much for showing me that. Now I am thinking about spending my money, again!;)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Lord_Malone
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 20, 2007 20:34 |  #65

SuzyView wrote in post #2744707 (external link)
How cute is that baby? :)

That's my boy! ;)

BTW, just picked up the APC Back-UPS XS 900 from Best Buy. That should get Bill off my back. ;)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 20, 2007 22:09 |  #66

Mouse, keyboard, speakers, network hub, DSL modem, Palm pilot, pocket PC, HP laser printer, Epson photo printer, card reader, flattop scanner, film scanner,10D USB cord, ext. CD burner,2nd monitor,wireless AIM keyboard, and a partridge looking for a pear tree.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 20, 2007 23:00 |  #67

The obvious stuff, keyboard (logitech G15), Mouse (G5), screens (17" Dells), speakers.
Less obvious would be a wireless gamepad, PDA data.charging cable, and a Wacom tablet.
Other stuff (printers, external hard drives) is plugged into my NAS which is connected wirelessly.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 21, 2007 07:59 |  #68

I just looked at the one you suggested, LM and it looks like they are sold out. They do have the 650VA for $81. I'm going to look into that one. One hour of back up is pretty basic for my needs.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Lord_Malone
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 21, 2007 08:44 |  #69

SuzyView wrote in post #2747532 (external link)
I just looked at the one you suggested, LM and it looks like they are sold out. They do have the 650VA for $81. I'm going to look into that one. One hour of back up is pretty basic for my needs.

Suzy, you can go down to CompUSA and get one for $79.99 (Regular price $119.99 + $20 in store instant rebate and after $20 mail-in rebate).

http://www.compusa.com …k=All&product_c​ode=343771 (external link)

I'm taking advantage of the $20 mail-in rebate and taking my receipt back to Best Buy to see if they'll price match CompUSA and give me another $20 back. Be sure to check the store availability in your area. I know there's one in Alexandria.

BTW, to qualify for the $20 mail-in rebate, the purchase must be made between 18 Feb 2007 and 24 Feb 2007. Only a small window of opportunity there.

Lord_Malone
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 23, 2007 22:22 |  #70

And I just got this one too...

APC BX1500LCD

IMAGE: http://buy.apc.com/commerce/images/products/21A7F96A-5056-AE36-FEEE85D69865B5CA_f_v.jpg

http://odeo.com/audio/​5602663/play (external link)

Fast forward the audio presentation timer to 00:10:25 for the review. ;)

IMAGE: http://buy.apc.com/commerce/images/products/21A91A27-5056-AE36-FE49D29DEF7740AF_b_v.jpg

Vinni
416 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 24, 2007 01:09 |  #71

My iPod is certainly always connected to my laptop or on the go with me, I don't think I've ever turned it off.

flickr (external link)

Savagebasher
244 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2007 19:48 |  #72

Laptop -
Power
Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless mouse dongle

Main Desktop -
Power
2x Gigabit Ethernet
Logitech Mouse
HP printer
Canon scanner
Sandisk CF card reader
17" Veiwsonic LCD via DVI
Logitech 2.1 speakers and cmoy headphone amp for my senns

Lord_Malone
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2007 21:18 as a reply to  @ Savagebasher's post |  #73

I orginally posted this on [H]ard...

Well, so far so good.

I'll start by saying that I chose this unit over the less expensive CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD simply because it offered 6 surge protected + battery backup and 2 SP only outlets, as opposed to the CyberPower unit offering 4 SP+B and 4 SP only outlets. Right out of the box, I will tell you that this unit is pretty heavy for its size. 30.7 lbs to be exact. It boasts 1500va and supports up to 865 watts. A bit excessive for my needs to say the least.

The red illuminated LCD is bright, easy to read, and displays real-time system status and a plethora of information at the touch of a button. The LCD can be set to turn off automatically or stay on full-time. I keep mine on full-time so that I can visually monitor the performance, and simply because the LCD is just very cool. Matches my red and black themed desktop settings.

IMAGE: http://www.hardforum.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
Coolness factor aside, the two display modes, On-Line and Battery, both will display the load capacity and battery charge indicators. In the On-Line mode, the LCD will display input voltage (121v), estimated run time in minutes (currently 25 minutes), load in watts (currently fluctuates between 180w and 195w), load percentage (22%), output voltage (121v), and battery output frequency (60.0 Hz). Similarly, in Battery Mode, you can view the number of events (and reset the counter), output and input voltage, input load, load percentage and estimated run time. The really cool part is that this information is consistent with what is being displayed in the APC PowerChute software that comes with the unit. For example, if the estimated runtime indicator changes, it'll reflect immediately on the software display as well. Additionally, the LCD will also display warning indicators such as power overload, audio warning tones and audio mute, battery replacement, low backup battery and system fault codes. To illustrate how detailed the this unit is, here is a list fault codes that it will show you:

F01 - on-battery overload
F02 - on-battery output short
F03 - on-battery XCap overload
F04 - clamp short
F05 - charger fault
F06 - relay welding
F07 - temperature
F08 - fan fault
F09 - internal fault

Whew! Is there anything the folks at APC didn't think of? In addition to telling you everything that possibly could go wrong with the unit, you still have the ability to run a self test, mute audible alarms, automatic voltage regulation kicks in when needed, and the option to adjust sensativity levels on the display with an AC line input while the UPS off.

For $199, the current price is pretty steep. The convenience of the uber cool and very functional LCD display of course adds to the cost. But I think it's a worthwhile investment, especially if you're a gearhead who likes to monitor all aspects of system performance. And APC offers $150,000 equipment replacement guarantee should anything go terribly wrong. The unit is overkill for my current desktop configuration, but offers a solid piece of mind nonetheless. Not a bad gig at all. Now I guess I'll just have to wait for a black/brownout to occur to see if everything works as advertised in a real world situation. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't. ;)

Savagebasher
244 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 25, 2007 09:47 |  #74

Thats almost as heavy as my desktop. :) 42.2lbs when I last weighed it.

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2007 01:04 |  #75

What is connected to my most used computer?
Me.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

sponsored links

10,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Is Connected to Your Most Used Computer?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.