Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Feb 2007 (Monday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any photography course worth while?

energumeno
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 26, 2007 23:26 |  #1

Hi,

I am a newbie and this is my first post on the site. Hello All!!!!!!!

About six months ago I bought a Digital Rebel XT and a couple of lenses. Since then I have been playing with it without knowing much what to do. From time to time I shoot great pictures but this does not seem to happen frequently enough.

I am now considering taking a photography course, however since I am also doing an MBA and working at the same time I wanted to check if there is any online or study at home kind of course that could help me out.

Do you know of any course that would be worthwhile?

I saw a study at home course advertising on the internet from the New York Institute of Photography. Any of you have previous experience with them?

Just looking from some advice from all you professionals. I am not looking to make a living out of photography; instead I just want to do it as a hobby but want to do it in the right way.

Thanks!!

sponsored links
liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2007 23:46 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I wouldn't waste my money on NYIP. You can learn a lot more from this forum. Read the stickies at the top of each forum and check out other sites, such as Luminous Landscape for information. Also read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That book will help you more than any other in terms of using a DSLR.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 26, 2007 23:54 |  #3

Welcome to the group! The best way to learn (MHO) is to read as much as possible, and don't be worried about trying something different. This is a great place to get ideas and to ask questions. Remember there aren't any dumb questions, you might get five or six different correct answers. We all enjoy a new member, they also may have new ideas themselves.
Welcome aboard

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

davidgr
147 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 27, 2007 11:07 as a reply to  @ T.Hogan's post |  #4

Forums are a great source of information and a great place to ask questions.
There are plenty of books on the subject of learning digital photography.
And there are a few places online that offer courses, like www.betterphoto.com (external link). They have some pretty basic courses you could start with, and they're not too expensive.

David
Canon 20D & 30D, EF 28-80, EF 75-300, 17-35L, 24-70L and 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 8x1GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, Quantum T5D flash on a Custom Bracket 35-EV powered by a 80W DigitalCameraBattery. Sekonic L-358 light meter.
Older Elan IIe (you remember the film days, don't you?)

Converge
212 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2007 15:30 |  #5

You can learn directly from Bryan Peterson himself at his online photography school. www.PPSOP.com (external link) (Perfect Picture School of Photography)

http://www.ericforberg​er.com (external link)

RbberBoatWLeak
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 27, 2007 20:22 |  #6

I've submitted my photography to a few contests and did get involved in two similar to that. The first one I was scared I was getting taken and thought I was going to have to report them to the BBB, but they did come through and I did get my book. When I did get my book I was really let down on the quality of the book. Now when I found out what the "Photography Vibes" was going after for it's content...I was really alot more happy about that one. It was asking for more than one contribute to see if you had what they wanted in their book. They also want to know about you and want to know what made you into a photography...it really made me think this was a better book. Of course I won't get involved in anymore of these kinds of books but I'm glad that this one isn't like the first one, because that first one was really poor in value. It had pictures of people's gradchildren that was washed out that you could really tell they were paying to say "Look at my graddaughter in a book"...made my beautiful photo look bad.

sponsored links

1,415 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any photography course worth while?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.