Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2007 (Saturday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another DIY light box, with build and test pics

jim9449
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 28, 2007 18:11 as a reply to  @ post 2792512 |  #31

Wonderful thread,well done;)

sponsored links
pete_cf
131 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 20:00 |  #32

hahahahaha omg this post just made my day..... i was always thinking how you guys take those amazing pictures :D .........i have to this this tomorrow, minus the lamps but i'll work with what i have :)

[ (external link)Portfolio (external link)] [Facebook (external link)] [Flickr (external link)] [Twitter (external link)]

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 20:06 |  #33

How do you set the manual WB in a box? Simply take a shot of the box when empty and the lights on, then use this as the custom WB setting?

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2007 20:22 |  #34

I picked up 2 lamps from sears for $9.99 a piece. I thought it was a great price for lamps that switch between 250 watts and 500 watts. They're Craftsman too.

I'm in the process of taking pictures now.. I'll post em in a little bit. Thanks to Pepperoni for this great idea.

:)

"I'm a procrastinator, but I'll tell you about that some other time"
40D, 30D, XTI, XT - Kit Lens,17-85 IS,24-70 2.8 L, 70-200m F4 L, [COLOR=red][COLOR=#000​000]70-200mm 2.8 L, 300mm F4 L 1.4x II, 580EX

pepperoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 21:06 as a reply to  @ T0DD's post |  #35

I'm not the only one with the box idea.. it's been done before. :D
As for the WB, I shoot in RAW and adjust it in post processing.

Here's a few more. I didn't take my time with these as much and the car was almost too wide for the paper. I didn't fix the toning on the edges.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by ADVERTISEMENT

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by ADVERTISEMENT

:cool:

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,280 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 21:11 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #36

Are those cars from a slot car track?

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

blam
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 28, 2007 21:16 |  #37

I'm loving it! I will have to try this out on the end of week.

CrazyPuma
84 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 28, 2007 21:23 |  #38

As for the WB, I shoot in RAW and adjust it in post processing.

I was going to ask about the WB...I just tried it and they came out very yellow w/out the flash. Adjusting it in PP works fine tho.

I need to get a good flash set up, now. :D

Canon EOS 20D / EF100mm F2.8 USM Macro / +the kit lens that I now feel like throwing away.
Technically challenged, cheap, and lazy ...http://photos.crimsonk​eep.com/ (external link)

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2007 21:49 as a reply to  @ tomd's post |  #39

Thanks again pepperoni.... I can see this is gonna be a lot of fun. I'm definitely having some white balance issues, I adjusted things a bit because I shot in RAW... but I need to read in my booklet to figure out how to mess with the white balance. I'm a total beginner and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. If anyone wants to type up a quick tutorial on how to adjust white balance on the actual camera, I definitely wouldn't be mad at ya!

I think I need to double up on the backdrop... it looks a little spotty.

Anyone else, if you have any CC... please let me know. I'll take more pictures soon to get more feedback.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Here's my set up

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

40D, 30D, XTI, XT - Kit Lens,17-85 IS,24-70 2.8 L, 70-200m F4 L, [COLOR=red][COLOR=#000​000]70-200mm 2.8 L, 300mm F4 L 1.4x II, 580EX

blam
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 28, 2007 23:23 |  #40

try spot metering the motorcycle. if you use evaluative the paper will come out grayish as to not blow it out.

pepperoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 23:33 as a reply to  @ blam's post |  #41

Nice going Todd!
I followed the manual when I first got the camera and shot a white piece of paper outside in the sun and made that my custom white balance. I haven't changed it since.

PS. I found a piece of glass...;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2007 23:41 |  #42

pepperoni wrote in post #2794053 (external link)
Nice going Todd!
I followed the manual when I first got the camera and shot a white piece of paper outside in the sun and made that my custom white balance. I haven't changed it since.

PS. I found a piece of glass...;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

You just raised the bar my friend !! Did you have to do anything to make the edge of the glass disappear? What glass did you use? Something from a picture frame? Dang that looks good.. I'm still trying things out.

I went outside to let my dogs in and noticed the moon was almost full. I had to change the lens and go shoot that. I just can't get enough of photography. I'm like a photography sponge and I am constantly trying to learn more and more.

:D

pepperoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 23:50 as a reply to  @ T0DD's post |  #43

I used the clone tool to smear out the edge.
We got like 6" of snow up here and it's still coming down, so I don't think I could even see the moon tonight.

pepperoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2007 23:51 |  #44

tomd wrote in post #2793339 (external link)
Are those cars from a slot car track?

No.. it's metal diecast.

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2007 23:55 |  #45

pepperoni wrote in post #2794110 (external link)
I used the clone tool to smear out the edge.
We got like 6" of snow up here and it's still coming down, so I don't think I could even see the moon tonight.

I'm in Tacoma and it snowed earlier... but now it's cloudy and I saw the moon poking through. I wish it would snow down here... only because I don't have to go to work anytime soon.

;)

sponsored links

2,219,169 views & 4 likes for this thread
Another DIY light box, with build and test pics
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.