Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 01 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Putting together a macro rig; need advice...

Ross ­ Workman
94 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2007 15:42 |  #1

Hi All.
I've been lurking around here for a while watching, reading, and learning. There are some superb photographers in this group!
Anyway, I'm in the process of putting together a macro set up for my 30D and Sigma 150 1:1. I've pretty much settled on the Giottos MT-9160 tripod, now I've got to figure out a head.

I know I should probably pick up a Giottos ball head, but with three kids, you have to make some shortcuts every now and then. I figure to invest in a nice tripod first, then go for the proper head later.

What I'm looking at to suffice until I can get enough pennies to buy a nice head is the Promaster Pro Ball Head. Looks decent enough, but pictures can be deceiving. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

sponsored links
racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,140 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 01, 2007 19:07 |  #2

most here don't use a tripod for macro work in the field as the subjects don't tend to hang around whilst you set up. Brian famously steadies his camera against a bean pole, others maybe use a monopod. Most common is to hand hold resting against any surface that is convenient. If flowers are your thing then a tripod may be more useful as the subject is stationary.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 01, 2007 23:31 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Agree with RM here - I usually use anything that I can possibly find to lean on and brace myself with. Tripods are just...too awkward imho...monopods are a possibility, never tried it myself as I shoot handheld.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,671 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 02, 2007 02:26 as a reply to  @ dpastern's post |  #4

Ditto: I tried a BushHawk camera mount last year, but the switch for the shutter release kept breaking and I got tired of waiting for replacement switches. I finally resorted to using the "knee pod" -left knee on the ground, right knee bent with my right elbow resting on it. I have a special set of blue jeans with permanent grass stains on them that I use only for macro. I was able to take photos like this one with a 100mm macro and a 25mm extension tube:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This year I'm going to try the Novoflex Chest Pod: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ghType=category​Navigation (external link)

If anyone is interested I'll post my impressions after I've had a chance to use it for a week or so. What I think is interesting about it is you can use it as a chest pod or brace it against your shoulder like the butt of an assault riffle.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Cactuspic
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 02, 2007 09:16 |  #5

Ross, I am quite the lone voice here for a tripod. As you can see from the posts, the most popular topics here are bugs and small critters that move and most of the shooters stop the blur by shooting flash. My macro botanicals do not move and are shot in available light. For me, a tripod is indispensable. I could not run extended focus stacks without it.

Irwin

Canon G9, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Sigma 180mm, Sigma 105mm, Canon 65mm mp-e. Rodagon 75mm D2x, Zeiss 60mm, Sigma 50mm, Zeiss 24mm Luminar, Nikon 5x m plan objective, Novoflex focusing rail, Novoflex bellows, Kenco tube sets etc

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,671 posts
Gallery: 295 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 02, 2007 15:35 |  #6

Cactuspic wrote in post #2801443 (external link)
Ross, I am quite the lone voice here for a tripod. As you can see from the posts, the most popular topics here are bugs and small critters that move and most of the shooters stop the blur by shooting flash. My macro botanicals do not move and are shot in available light. For me, a tripod is indispensable. I could not run extended focus stacks without it.

Irwin

Hey Irwin,
I actually shoot hand held with available light as the primary light source -you just have to find some way to brace the camera and get use to shooting below F11. Here's an example, taken in shutter priority:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Ross ­ Workman
THREAD ­ STARTER
94 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 03, 2007 14:26 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #7

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really enjoy all aspects of macro; flora and fauna. I'm defintely going to pick up an off shoe bracket and pc cord for better illumination.
Hopefully I'll be posting some images soon.:)

Ross

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 05, 2007 04:08 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, shooting in natural light can be done, but it's limiting imho. When it works, it works damn well though.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Putting together a macro rig; need advice...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.