Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Mar 2007 (Sunday) 02:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Settings for fill-in flash

gandi
58 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2007 02:48 |  #1

What settings should i be using when wanting to use fill in flash say in a paddock using 1D mk 2 N with 550 flash unit and 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 .Any help please.

sponsored links
chris ­ clements
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 04, 2007 07:03 |  #2

What's your beef with simply using ETTL?
Granted it's not foolproof, but if you find it's consistently over/under filling, you can always dial in compensation

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2007 07:09 |  #3

Hi gandi, welcome to POTN!

Tell us about the lighting conditions, and your subjects. Are you shooting some sort of equestrian event?

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

gandi
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2007 08:08 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #4

All will be in a motorbike paddock with varying weather conditions , i just need some basic info to start with.
Thanks

Tommy
I have a Peepster.
2,262 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 04, 2007 09:07 |  #5

First, welcome to POTN! ;)

Second, like Chris mentioned, start with ETTL. Unless you have an issue with ETTL.... if that's the case though, can you tell us what that issue is?

Tommy

Heatseeker99
591 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 04, 2007 09:20 |  #6

I would first try ETTL with -2/3 FEC. This is my default and works for me 85% of the time.

A.J.

1D mkIII \ 24-105L \70-200 2.8IS II \ 35L \ 85 1.8 \ Kenko 1.4x \ 580EXII \ 430EX + every piece of Nikon/Photogenic equipment imaginable at the studio.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2007 10:32 |  #7

I'm going to start with a few assumptions and we can go from there.

I'm going to assume you'll be shooting moving subjects at some distance, perhaps 20 feet or more. I'll further assume you want to minimize the recycle time of the flash so you won't miss too many shots. In conditions like this you'll want to maximize the effective distance and efficiency of the flash. Minimizing motion blur will also be a consideration.

The best way to do this is to use Tv mode with the shutter speed set to 1/250 (maximum flash sync speed). This will keep your aperture as wide as possible (maximizing the flash range and efficiency) and keep motion blur to a minimum.

Start with both EC and FEC at 0 (flash in E-TTL mode) and go from there. Watch your histogram and adjust as you go. Adjust EC to change the background exposure and adjust FEC to change the subject exposure.

On overcast days when the light is pretty even in all directions, you could also use Manual mode on the camera, adjusting the aperture to get the desired background exposure.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

gandi
THREAD ­ STARTER
58 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2007 01:25 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #8

Perhaps i misled you but all my subjects will be stationary , either stood in the paddock or sat on a still bike.

chris ­ clements
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 05, 2007 03:29 |  #9

...you still haven't explained why you mistrust/won't use the obvious opption; ETTL :)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 05, 2007 06:59 |  #10

My previous post is still applicable to stationary subjects, unless there are other assumptions I made that are also incorrect.

Ian ­ Trott
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 05, 2007 14:53 |  #11

gandi wrote in post #2811371 (external link)
What settings should i be using when wanting to use fill in flash say in a paddock using 1D mk 2 N with 550 flash unit and 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 .Any help please.

Hi Gandi,

Putting your camera in Aperture or shutter priority, or manual mode will put the camera/flash combo into fill flash mode. Canon doesn't have an actual fill-flash setting. You have the choice of using ETTL and applying flash exposure compensation +-3 stops OR you can use the flash in manual mode and dial in the output as low as 1/128th power. Keep in mind you can use camera exposure compensation at the same time. What you are basically doing is adding flash to the ambient light exposure. So, settings all depend on how you want your images to look with regards to exposure. Maybe you want the subjects to pop out a bit more from the background so you could use a negative value of camera exposure compensation with or without a positive flash exposure compensation. My suggestioon would be to give yourself ample time to do some test shots so that you can do a bit of on location experimenting. Without knowing the look you are after it's kind of hard to suggest settings other than what would give you so called proper exposure for the ambient light and the fill flash. Theoretically (and in most cases accurately) your camera's meter will give you that info with your flash set to ETTL. You can of course rely on the camera's meter or use a handheld meter. Practice, practice, practice. The best way to learn and it's free. Remember ... flash is my friend! :D Hope this helps, even in a small way. Good luck with your shoot. Maybe we'll get to see some interesting shots after all is said and done.

sponsored links

1,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Settings for fill-in flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.