Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 08 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grey Squirrel

willy ­ b
Cream of the Crop
6,433 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 08, 2007 12:02 |  #1

some may call them vermin...even so that look cool i think:)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 502 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

C&C always welcome

Gear List & 2012. A Photo a day. (external link)

sponsored links
willy ­ b
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,433 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 09, 2007 05:23 |  #2

i thought peopel would have commented on these pcitures...ah well

tpetty
943 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 09, 2007 05:49 |  #3

I like the first one, it could do for a bit of cropping imo. The second is nice too, but treesharks in shadows scare me.

Trent
Canon 100mm MACRO, 1:2.8
Canon 18-55mm kit lens
Canon 1.4x TC
Canon Speedlite 580EX

willy ­ b
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,433 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 09, 2007 06:30 |  #4

tpetty wrote in post #2841702 (external link)
I like the first one, it could do for a bit of cropping imo. The second is nice too, but treesharks in shadows scare me.

pleased you like them, i think i do need to crop the first one especially, i'll try it wehn i get home

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 09, 2007 08:35 |  #5

I agree about cropping. Or get closer to the squirrels next time. Or get a longer lens. Actually the EXIF says f=300mm, so you must have been a long long way away from the squirrels. Like 50 or 100 feet. Personally I doubt you're going to get any good shots from that sort of distance.

You might also want to try adjusting the colours and lighting. #1 is dull and might benefit from a bit more contrast and saturation. #2 is under-exposed because you've metered for the sky rather than the squirrel.

Please appreciate that I'm trying to be helpful, but these look like pictures that have not had any thought put into them. You could probably do 100 times better if you spent a bit of time stalking the animlas to get closer (that does require patience), making sure the exposure was right, and then processing the images to get the best out of them.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

Luke_1983uk
122 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 09, 2007 08:51 as a reply to  @ StewartR's post |  #6

they are great, with a little cropping they would be excellent!
nice try they are very hard to photograph sometimes, they are so fast
well done

willy ­ b
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,433 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 09, 2007 10:57 |  #7

StewartR wrote in post #2842245 (external link)
I agree about cropping. Or get closer to the squirrels next time. Or get a longer lens. Actually the EXIF says f=300mm, so you must have been a long long way away from the squirrels. Like 50 or 100 feet. Personally I doubt you're going to get any good shots from that sort of distance.

You might also want to try adjusting the colours and lighting. #1 is dull and might benefit from a bit more contrast and saturation. #2 is under-exposed because you've metered for the sky rather than the squirrel.

Please appreciate that I'm trying to be helpful, but these look like pictures that have not had any thought put into them. You could probably do 100 times better if you spent a bit of time stalking the animlas to get closer (that does require patience), making sure the exposure was right, and then processing the images to get the best out of them.

don't worry i know that you are trying to help, and i appreciate it:)

after all i need as much help as i can!

When you say metering for the squirrel, not teh sky, what metering option should i use. Generally speaking i leave it set on the same metering for mosts shots (yes i know thsi is wrong, but i am but a mear apature/begginer)

They were along way away, and i did try to follow the buggers, but as somebody said, they are very very fast little creatures:(

Thansk for the comments all the same :)

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 09, 2007 17:52 |  #8

willy b wrote in post #2842814 (external link)
When you say metering for the squirrel, not teh sky, what metering option should i use. Generally speaking i leave it set on the same metering for mosts shots (yes i know thsi is wrong, but i am but a mear apature/begginer)

OK, this is a big subject, and I'm not going to spoon feed you. But hopefully I can give you some pointers.

I have a 350D and it has 3 metering modes:
- evaluative: takes a meter reading of the whole picture and tries to work out what's what
- centre-weighted average: does what it says on the tin
- partial: only looks at the central 9% of the image
and I think your 400D also has
- spot: only looks at the central 3% of the image
(Check your manual.)

The camera's default behaviour is to set the exposure so that whatever it's metered off comes out as an average 18% grey shade. You need to bear this in mind and ask yourself whether that's an appropriate thing to do. If it isn't, you can choose a different metering mode and/or set some Exposure Compensation (EC) and/or bracket your exposures. When the subject (by which I mean whatever the camera is metering off, which may or may not be the main object of interest in your picture) is light, you need positive EC, because the default exposure won't be light enough; conversely. when the subject is dark, you need negative EC.

Many people here (myself included) recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's not expensive, well written, and hugely informative.

Anyway, looking at the pictures you posted: #2 is a difficult one for the camera to get right because there's such a lot of variation: bright sky in the backgrond, sunlit tree, squirrrel in the shade. I think the squirrel has come out under-exposed, and would have been better with a bit of EC. On the other hand the tree looks good. You could try tweaking the highlights/shadows controls in PhotoShop to bring up the exposure on the squirrel without burning out the tree and sky too much.

In #1, the lighting is flat and the picture might benefit from a bit more contrast. But the exposure in #1 looks OK.

If you enable "Image Editing OK" in your forum profile, I'll have a quick play with these in PhotoShop to show you what I had in mind.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links

1,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grey Squirrel
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.