Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Mar 2007 (Saturday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pictures darker then on screen.. 30D?

DEMO
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 12:16 |  #1

Hello everyone, for some reason my pictures are coming out darker then what is seen on the display. last week I tried shooting some indoor roller hockey and everything seemed good until I uploaded the pictures. Every picture was just down right dark. Is their a way to calibrate the screen or some how fix this..

Example:
This is what I seen on the display..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This is what I actually took..
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i2.photobucket.​com …11/typeralph/IM​G_8763.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 10, 2007 12:18 |  #2

Never use the preview image on the camera's LCD screen to judge exposure. Get a good understanding of how the various metering modes work and how to use the histogram.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2007 12:20 |  #3

Go to dpreview.com and look in their Reviews of cameras. In the review for a particular camera they put a multisegment grayscale bar, so that you can adjust the brightness and contrast of your monitor so that you can distinguish one segment from the other for the greatest number of segments. If you adjust your monitor for that, your monitor will be pretty well adjusted.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DEMO
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 12:21 |  #4

Ok, I figured viewing the display would give me a good example of what I should expect. Sorry I'm not talking about my monitor but the diplay on the actual camera..

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2007 12:21 |  #5

What Bob said. Only use your lcd for viewing settings, looking at histogram, and general composition. You will never get enough accuracy, and fine detail, to use it for judging exposure.

DEMO
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 12:33 |  #6

ok, Thanks guys.. So tonight im going to a car show, I know im not going to learn how to read the histogram in this short of time so is thier anyway I can try and make my display view something reasonable.. I just don't want to expect my pictures to be some what on and they come out trash worthy AGAIN..

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

DEMO
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 12:41 |  #7

I looked at my camera and the screen brightness was turned up. I think I found my problem.. I will go out and take a few pictures and make sure thats what it was.. Thanks for the help.

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

kumicho
402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 10, 2007 13:36 |  #8

DEMO wrote in post #2848203 (external link)
ok, Thanks guys.. So tonight im going to a car show, I know im not going to learn how to read the histogram in this short of time so is thier anyway I can try and make my display view something reasonable.. I just don't want to expect my pictures to be some what on and they come out trash worthy AGAIN..

turn on your histogram, and see what you can figure out today/tonight. Peaks on the left show what is dark, peaks on the right show what is light. You won't become a pro in a day, but if the levels on the histogram are concentrated on the left hand side, chances are it'll be too dark. :)

Canon 400d
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 100mm f/2.0
Canon EOS M
Canon 22mm f/2.0

Juan ­ Zas
Goldmember
1,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 10, 2007 13:48 |  #9

Is your EV compensation to 0? It´s the easiest way to get darker images ... also display brightness control too high ...

Cheers
Juan

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 10, 2007 13:49 |  #10

kumicho wrote in post #2848467 (external link)
turn on your histogram, and see what you can figure out today/tonight. Peaks on the left show what is dark, peaks on the right show what is light. You won't become a pro in a day, but if the levels on the histogram are concentrated on the left hand side, chances are it'll be too dark. :)

It will probably work for you in a pinch to expose such that the histogram is touching the right hand side of the scale without seeing a spike on that side. This isn't always what you want to do, but is good enough to get you started. The nice thing about digital is that you can practice and it doesn't cost you anything but time.

Underexposure will lead to an image with poorer shadow detail and a lot of noise after the underexposure is corrected in post processing. Overexposure will lead to blown highlights (or more), which is data that is lost forever.

It would also pay to get a good book on photography like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen and develop a better understanding of your cameras controls and metering modes.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

DEMO
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 14:02 |  #11

Lol.. I actually just bought the book. I should have it sometime next week..

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

circa
594 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 10, 2007 14:27 |  #12

I would also turn the brightness of your LCD down.

wonderful skateboard adventures:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wjphoto/ (external link)
www.fotophun.blogspot.​com (external link)

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 10, 2007 16:13 |  #13

With all due respect, I don't think that's the image on your screen. It's a post-processed version of the second image, and you're telling us that your screen view looked like it. And it's processed up quite nicely, hasn't it?

The screen "brightness" is often misleading, as commented on above, particularly when the image is dark (eg night shots) or underexposed (as would seem to be the case above). Learn to use the histogram, as described above, just ensuring that it doesn't quite touch the right hand end will often suffice. Learn how to use exposure compensation in difficult lighting.

Learn how to get the best out of your light meter. There's a lot of white in your photo - that can make the metering use a shorter exposure, and hence underexpose - the meter is not "clever", you need to supply the brains. Possibly in that type of image, use the spot meter setting to meter off skin tones. Or if the lighting is constant, once you have established the correct setting, leave it there, on manual.

You could always photograph the LCD screen and show us what it actually shows (including the histogram, which I bet is far off to the left...).

Have fun and take lots more
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

DEMO
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2007 16:25 |  #14

Of course that not the exact picture that I first seen. When I snapped the picture I figured I had took something close to that interms of exposure.. :rolleyes:

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

prime80
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2007 16:30 |  #15

I know exactly what you're talking about, DEMO. I borrowed a friend's 30D to take pictures at an indoor party with poor lighting and ran into the exact same thing. The pics on the camera LCD looked great, but when I got them home to process, they were mostly 1-2 stops under-exposed. I learned my lesson then to not trust the LCD for gauging exposure. From now on, I'm watching the histogram to double-check.

John
7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

sponsored links

1,626 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pictures darker then on screen.. 30D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.