Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2007 (Saturday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another DIY light box, with build and test pics

Refemall
206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2007 14:56 |  #301

simplephoto: Very nice on the second one there. Its a pity that we can see the threads of the cloth you used though. Did you try overexposing a little bit to try to wash that out?

Canon EOS 40D gripped
EF 28mm F/2.8, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, Sigma EF 70-200mm F/2.8 DG MACRO, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II
Canon 580EX

sponsored links
takurpic
25 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 12, 2007 15:29 |  #302

T0DD wrote in post #2834684 (external link)
It seems fitting that you'd be the first to attempt the black background, I mean, you are the creator of this thread! :lol:

Ok... I need specifics on what type of glass you're using because I'm not getting anywhere near the reflection you're getting... and quite frankly it's starting to p*ss me off !! ;) :D

I've done several images with a black background. I usually achieve complete black in post.

Here's the shot posted by Pepperoni with the curves adjusted and the shadows darkened with the burn tool:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Always Learning! ;)

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 12, 2007 15:44 as a reply to  @ takurpic's post |  #303

I had an idea for the construction of the light box:

I used 5 sections of foam board. I placed the sections together to form a box shape and used a little duct tape on the outside to hold the whole thing together. Fairly standard.

My thought was that if you used self adhesive velcro strips to hold the box together (instead of tape or other), you would get 5 panels that could be broken down into flat sheets for storage and reconfigured.

You could also use different sized panels to create different boxes.

I haven't tried it yet since my box is still taped together, but when it comes time to break it down, I think I'll give it a go. Whatta guys think?

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 12, 2007 15:47 |  #304

takurpic wrote in post #2859309 (external link)
I've done several images with a black background. I usually achieve complete black in post.

Here's your shot:

You've done several images with black background?? Your account shows you've posted 2 times... and it looks like the picture you posted is one that "pepperoni" took, unless you both have the exact same car?

I smell conspiracy! :D

"I'm a procrastinator, but I'll tell you about that some other time"
40D, 30D, XTI, XT - Kit Lens,17-85 IS,24-70 2.8 L, 70-200m F4 L, [COLOR=red][COLOR=#000​000]70-200mm 2.8 L, 300mm F4 L 1.4x II, 580EX

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 12, 2007 15:51 |  #305

fuzzygraphics wrote in post #2859389 (external link)
I had an idea for the construction of the light box:

I used 5 sections of foam board. I placed the sections together to form a box shape and used a little duct tape on the outside to hold the whole thing together. Fairly standard.

My thought was that if you used self adhesive velcro strips to hold the box together (instead of tape or other), you would get 5 panels that could be broken down into flat sheets for storage and reconfigured.

You could also use different sized panels to create different boxes.

I haven't tried it yet since my box is still taped together, but when it comes time to break it down, I think I'll give it a go. Whatta guys think?

I just used "hat pins" (the needles with the little balls on the end of them.) It breaks down quickly and goes together quickly too. Velcro is a good idea too. As a quick disclaimer, I got the idea of the hat pins from "Zacker" on this thread. So credit goes to him. ;)

40D, 30D, XTI, XT - Kit Lens,17-85 IS,24-70 2.8 L, 70-200m F4 L, [COLOR=red][COLOR=#000​000]70-200mm 2.8 L, 300mm F4 L 1.4x II, 580EX

fuel123
126 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2007 16:04 |  #306

I love this thread loads and loads of information. But out of almost 9000 views - I think we should see more examples! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Even though I have only posted one picture in this thread I have a great excuse I fell off a ladder last week and can't bend over yet. I can't wait till this weekend I should be back in action.

So please post your light box images for those of us who can't shoot due to injury, they will be greatly appreciated :p :p

www.dogparcstudio.com (external link)

takurpic
25 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 12, 2007 16:11 |  #307

T0DD wrote in post #2859413 (external link)
You've done several images with black background?? Your account shows you've posted 2 times... and it looks like the picture you posted is one that "pepperoni" took, unless you both have the exact same car?

I smell conspiracy! :D

Yes, I used pepperoni's shot to demonstrate how it's possible in PP even with the image he provided (not that it's a bad image- it's good!). I assumed this was ok since it said so in his info. That's why I quoted his original post when I posted. I just adjusted the curves on his image and used the burn tool to darken shadows.

Regarding my two posts here- yes I am new to posting on this forum, but I registered back in '05. I've been around on the other forums (FM, Zuga, OSP, PWP) under the same name- takurpic.

PS... that makes 3 posts! Look out, I'm movin' up! ;)

Always Learning! ;)

pepperoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2007 16:39 |  #308

takurpic wrote in post #2859309 (external link)

Here's the shot posted by Pepperoni with the curves adjusted and the shadows darkened with the burn tool:

Cool! I like how that can be done in post, but not at the expense of IQ. Something happened to the IQ in the process. Maybe you just did a really quick edit, but the subject doesn't look very good. :)

Here's my original followed by your edit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by ADVERTISEMENT

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 12, 2007 18:18 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #309

This is the coolest thread evar! Off to Harbor Freight to get me some lights.

Thanks for posting.

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2007 18:39 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #310

Is the black BG done with black paper taped into the lightbox? Any adjustment necessary to lighting? Other suggestions appreciated.
Tom

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

T0DD
296 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 12, 2007 19:27 |  #311

tomd wrote in post #2860225 (external link)
Is the black BG done with black paper taped into the lightbox? Any adjustment necessary to lighting? Other suggestions appreciated.
Tom

I used a black velvet fabric... but that's just my method.

;)

OneCall
111 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 12, 2007 20:17 |  #312
bannedPermanently

OMG!!! I just spent the last 3 hrs reading this thread! LOL I know now what I will be doing this weekend, going to Lowes and Michaels ,LOL

I'm glad I found this thread because my garage is FULL of items my wife wants to put on ebay (my mother-in-laws stuff from when she passed away 2 yeas ago... boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff!) and I finally got my 10D last week...

Hmmm... empty garage = home studio.... *grinning ear to ear.. LOL

There is some great information and shots here and thank you Pepperoni for starting this off.... now to plan my purchases...

Dave

All comments & suggestions welcome on my photo posts

fuel123
126 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2007 20:25 |  #313

OneCall wrote in post #2860713 (external link)
OMG!!! I just spent the last 3 hrs reading this thread! LOL I know now what I will be doing this weekend, going to Lowes and Michaels ,LOL

I'm glad I found this thread because my garage is FULL of items my wife wants to put on ebay (my mother-in-laws stuff from when she passed away 2 yeas ago... boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff!) and I finally got my 10D last week...

Hmmm... empty garage = home studio.... *grinning ear to ear.. LOL

There is some great information and shots here and thank you Pepperoni for starting this off.... now to plan my purchases...

Dave

Lucky you on the garage/studio and man I wish you lived closer I would love to come over and help you shoot some of your merchandise for ebay. I want to get into product photography. Make sure you post your pictures I know I will be looking for them.

www.dogparcstudio.com (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 12, 2007 20:55 as a reply to  @ fuel123's post |  #314

Has anyone tried these techniques using clear acetate. I just checked with Dick Blick and you can get a roll of clear acetate 20" x 12' for under $7. Does it work as well as glass? Any reason not to try it?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 12, 2007 21:46 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #315

I got 20 mil clear acetate, does NOT:( show of the reflection well

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

sponsored links

2,211,314 views & 4 likes for this thread
Another DIY light box, with build and test pics
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.