Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Mar 2007 (Sunday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Purchase new S80 or G7 as upgrade to S50"
G7- Go with the latest
82.5%
S80- A proven performer
17.5%

40 voters, 40 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchase S80 or G7

avid_dk@yahoo.com
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 11, 2007 17:44 |  #1

I currently own and love using a S50. Time to upgrade and I am considering a S80 or G7. I realize the S80 is hard to find. (not impossible) My interests are travel and outdoor photography. I would have to pay around $600 for the S80.

I love compact digital cameras. I own Pentax 6 x 7 gear and a complete darkroom that doesn't get used anymore. The 13 x 19 prints I make with my S50 are great can't imagine what and 8 or 10 MP camera will do.

Thanks for taking the time to help me select.

David

sponsored links
puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 12, 2007 13:54 |  #2

I have owned and used the S70, then the S80, and now the G7. The G7 is better than the other two, by far, both ergonomically and for IQ. The only plus for the S80 is the "28mm" wide angle, but the lens quality is less good.

I changed my S70 for an S80 and slightly regretted it - it was no better optically and slightly noisier, but did have a better screen. It did not have RAW, and used SD cards so in some ways I felt it had not been a good "upgrade". Then the G7 came out and it was everything I needed in a "compact" - except possibly the 28mm - and only very slightly bigger than the S70. Obviously it also has no RAW and uses SD - but now I've accepted that is the status quo with the compact Canons.

I'm a 5D user and find the G7 a good fit for me when I want a compact, e.g. informal family shots, skiing, keep a camera in the car etc.

Oh, and yes, if you like large prints, just wait till you see what a G7 can do in terms of stitched panoramas or mosaics, with good software like Autostitch or Autopano Pro!

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

avid_dk@yahoo.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 12, 2007 15:14 |  #3

Thanks so much for your insightful comments.

David

mattjs
114 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 12, 2007 15:26 as a reply to  @ puttick's post |  #4

What sold me on the G7 was the fact that everyone who owns one seemed to love it. Whereas negative opinions seemed to come almost exclusively from people who were/are disapointed with the specs, but haven't actually used a G7 for any length of time. Which leads me to believe that, if the specs (lack of RAW, lack of swivel LCD...) aren't a deal breaker for you, you'll love how the G7 actually performs. Luminous Landscape review seems to back that up -- http://luminous-landscape.com …ws/cameras/Cano​n-G7.shtml (external link). Excerpt from the review re: prints:

What's interesting is that my time testing the Canon G7 overlapped with my initial testing period with the Leica M8. Interestingly, both cameras are 10 Megapixel, and so since I was shooting with and making prints from both cameras, with subject matter from the same scenes, the sample prints often became mixed together.

Much as I would like to pretend otherwise, it sometimes was difficult without close examination to be certain which A3-sized print had come from which camera. Yes, a close look would almost always show the G7 files to have a slight "digital" look, while those from the M8 did not, but it was remarkable how well the G7 did. I showed mixed-together prints to several technically knowledgeable and experienced photographers and it took each of them close examination to tell the cameras apart simply from the sample prints, and even then not always. As I said, remarkable image quality (but JPG only).

- Matt
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dmspics (external link)

avid_dk@yahoo.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 12, 2007 16:49 as a reply to  @ mattjs's post |  #5

Matt,

I suspect you are spot on with your comments. When I purchsed my S50 there were all kinds of disparging reviews claiming it wasn't as good as the S45. I bought mine based on my experience with my first Canon, a Digital Elph, which I though was outstanding. My S50 turned out to be a fine camera. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

David

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 12, 2007 17:14 |  #6

Here's a G7 panorama, 4 stitched images, Avoriaz (French Alps) - in the centre is a helicopter. Inset at the right is a 100% crop of the helicopter to show the detail. At 250dpi the original will print 1.3m wide.

Actually this image is displaying about 2/3 size in the window here on POTN - no idea why. But you should get the idea.

Nigel

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

avid_dk@yahoo.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 12, 2007 20:19 as a reply to  @ puttick's post |  #7

puttick,

That really gets me motivated to make my purchase, thanks for sharing your outstanding panorama shot. :D

David

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Mar 13, 2007 10:59 |  #8

Hi David,

now that might be a stupid suggestion from somebody who doesn't know much about the current crop of compact Canon cameras (went from G2 to 20D some time ago and - so far - am not looking back :wink: ), but ...

... in another thread, somebody mentioned a few days ago that he got a used Pro1 for about 300 EUR ... would that also be worth looking at?

No image stabilization, ISO 400 only (not that the new cameras would be known for usable high ISO rating either), electronic viewfinder (yikes for me) ... but with RAW and 28-200 (equivalent) lens on the other hand ... sounds like a decent alternative to me.

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

avid_dk@yahoo.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 15, 2007 12:14 as a reply to  @ Andy_T's post |  #9

Andy,

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I did consider purchasing the Pro1. It is just to big to carry around. I LOVE small cameras that I can carry on my belt. Otherwise, going out to shoot requires hiring porters. :) The other drawback to the Pro1 is, despite the fabulous lens, the features are even more dated than the G6 or S80. Thanks for the suggestion.

Falkon
430 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 20, 2007 20:08 |  #10

looks like the G7 wins!!

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
My Wish List (external link)

avid_dk@yahoo.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 22, 2007 21:44 |  #11

Falkon wrote in post #2903877 (external link)
looks like the G7 wins!!

Purchasing this weekend, thanks for the comments and votes!:D

yellowroadster
460 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 23, 2007 02:44 as a reply to  @ avid_dk@yahoo.com's post |  #12

You will not be disappointed. I had the G7 and the only reason I returned it was because it reminded me how much I love photography all over again and thus upgraded to a DSLR.
I'm actually thinking of getting one again as a back-up.
I just can't praise the G7 enough.
You'll be blown away by the color, contrast, clarity and overall picture quality this little camera can create.

For awesome flash photos, I highly recommend the Canon 220EX flash for the G7. Truly, a match made in heaven. Looks perfect on the G7 and blows away the built-in flash.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 23, 2007 16:09 as a reply to  @ yellowroadster's post |  #13

I voted for the G7, albeit with reservations. It's a good camera, but Canon decided that it won't support RAW. That's the main reason I'm sticking with my G5 for now.

I shoot RAW, and have no use for any camera that doesn't allow me to do that.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links

2,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchase S80 or G7
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.