Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Mar 2007 (Sunday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500mm Reflector/Mirror Lens for EOS

StaticThought
Male (verified)
1,137 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 18, 2007 19:01 |  #1

My Brother gave me this this afternoon:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My question is, what mount is it and what adapter would I need to get to hook this upto my EOS 400D. I know its not the best solution for focal length but its free so I may as well use it.

Also general oppinions of these would be nice as well. Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Chris
My Gear
Static Thought Photography (external link)
"Static In Thought, Static In Being - You Will Know when the time comes, Grasp it and hold on for all your worth because it is Once in A Life time Chance" Have No Regrets - Chris Lee 2007

sponsored links
Throlkim
249 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 18, 2007 19:38 |  #2

Don't mirror lenses give you strange background blur, like little doughnuts or something? :D
That's about all I know on them unfortunately, but good luck finding an adapter. :D

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 18, 2007 19:45 |  #3

dont you have tha adapter right there in the picture? not the greatest lenses around but hey, you didnt pay anything for it.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

StaticThought
THREAD ­ STARTER
Male (verified)
1,137 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 18, 2007 19:51 |  #4

Thats the adapter ring for a minolter, but I am not sure what I need to ask for to get one for my EOS :confused:

Regards
Chris
My Gear
"Static In Thought, Static In Being - You Will Know when the time comes, Grasp it and hold on for all your worth because it is Once in A Life time Chance" Have No Regrets - Chris Lee 2007

AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
3,814 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 18, 2007 20:11 |  #5

It appears you need the M42-to-EOS (external link) adapter.

Chris | My Flickr (external link) | AirBrontosaurus.com (external link) | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeup (external link)
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

StaticThought
THREAD ­ STARTER
Male (verified)
1,137 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 18, 2007 20:24 |  #6

AirBrontosaurus wrote in post #2892653 (external link)
It appears you need the M42-to-EOS (external link) adapter.

Excellent, Many thanks buddy. Was unsure what fitting it was on the lens but I guess you have answered it. Again Thanks Buddy :cool:

Just a quicky while I am here, Do I need to worry about the adpter plates shorting out the contacts in the camera that normally connect to the EOS lens as obviously I dont want to do this.

Regards
Chris
My Gear

AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
3,814 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 18, 2007 20:37 |  #7

It's never been a problem with the M42-to-EOS I have. I don't think it actually engages the pins. I believe it "hovers" above them.

Chris | My Flickr (external link) | AirBrontosaurus.com (external link) | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeup (external link)
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 18, 2007 21:41 |  #8

That lens looks identical to the version I have which is NOT M42 mount but a T-MOUNT lens. I'm betting you'll actually need an inexpensive EOS T-mount adapter instead.

The lens itself is - sorry! - not very useful. At least on a digital camera. Very, very soft and the lens is highly susceptible to ghosting which will typically manifest as a severe loss of contrast and color as if you were shooting in a dense fog bank. A large lens hood helps a little with the ghosting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Mar 19, 2007 02:17 as a reply to  @ JackProton's post |  #9

My (old) Canon 500mm F/8 with FD mounting from 1985 works just fine on the Rebel. OK so you have some post processing "cleaning up" to do. Big deal! Isn't that the whole point of having photography as a hobby or am I wrong? The woodpecker would come out just fine if you had given it more care and attention. Here is a picture of the wife, both handhold. It turns out to be a fine portrait lens ;) .
Greetings from Ghent, Belgium
----------
350d - Sigma 18 200 - Canon 100 Macro - Canon 300 F/4 - Canon 500 F/8 - Canon x1,4

HOSTED PHOTO

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Mar 19, 2007 02:35 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #10

While I'm at it here's an other one. this time "streetphotography". The nails were badly in need of "special" attention so I gave it a little touch. Have fun.
Alain

HOSTED PHOTO

JaGWiRE
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 19, 2007 02:48 |  #11

Lenty007 wrote in post #2893970 (external link)
While I'm at it here's an other one. this time "streetphotography". The nails were badly in need of "special" attention so I gave it a little touch. Have fun.
Alain

Looks not bad.
This is totally off topic, but street photography with 500? That just seems wrong. I do a crapload of street photography with my buddy (my gallery is goign through a work in progress, a lot more photos going to be uploaded later), we found 200mm and 150mm or so to be perfect.
his gallery mostly with 200 f2.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/geimov/ (external link)

Canon EOS 30D, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 105 Macro, 135L, 430ex, Lowepro Mini Trekker AW, Manfrotto 3001pro w/486rc2 and 804rc2 head, Manfrotto 681 w/ 3232 head.
http://www.brianstar.s​mugmug.com (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,001 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 19, 2007 10:21 |  #12

his work is fantastic some stunning shot's.
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 19, 2007 14:51 |  #13

Lenty007 wrote in post #2893944 (external link)
My (old) Canon 500mm F/8 with FD mounting from 1985 works just fine on the Rebel. OK so you have some post processing "cleaning up" to do. Big deal! Isn't that the whole point of having photography as a hobby or am I wrong? The woodpecker would come out just fine if you had given it more care and attention.

(A) Neither the poster nor I have Canon mirror lenses. We both have plastic Korean imports. I know there are some good mirror lenses out there. This just doesn't happen to be one of them.

(B) I did no processing whatsoever except to resize my images because I was more interested in showing what the lens could or could not do rather than showing off my amazing skills with Photoshop. The lack of contrast in the second image, for example, was not the result of an overexposure but due to internal reflections in the lens - ghosting - which won't be easily fixed. In fact, the ghosting problem would have been much worse if I hadn't been using a honking huge lens hood at the time.

(C) I can get much better results using a cheap 70-300mm lens with a teleconverter or heavy cropping.

But thanks for showing off your images. Your photos are very nice.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 19, 2007 15:37 |  #14

JackProton wrote in post #2893076 (external link)
That lens looks identical to the version I have which is NOT M42 mount but a T-MOUNT lens. I'm betting you'll actually need an inexpensive EOS T-mount adapter instead.

I agree that looks like a T2 mount. It's also a 42mm thread, but with a finer thread pitch than the M42 mount. As JackProton says, a cheap EOS-T2 mount is all you need. He's also right that cheap mirror lenses such as this are pretty poor, but in the right conditions (longer range, good visibility, not into the light) you can still get some worthwhile images. Have a play with it - it hasn't cost you anything (except a little if you get the adaptor)!

Mark.

sponsored links

2,938 views & 0 likes for this thread
500mm Reflector/Mirror Lens for EOS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.