Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 Jan 2007 (Monday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer & Southern Alberta POTN Meet?

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 20, 2007 17:50 |  #31

I'm out the May long and the weekend of the 26-27 (it's an annual event). Anytime up to those weekends and the first couple weekends in June would work. But don't sweat it, we won't be able to fit into everyone's schedule.

-JIM-

sponsored links
Geoff_Shawcross
"Nuttier than a squirrel terd"
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 20, 2007 18:00 |  #32

For me the date doesn't really matter, as long as it's May or later. Late may or any time in June preferably though I guess.

I guess this is really the toughest part.......working out when people can go.

Geoff | SmugMug (external link) | Gear List | BUY & SELL FORUM FEEDBACK

"I bring you to a paradise planet two billion light years from earth and you want to update Twitter?" --The Doctor from 'Doctor Who'

davidm_86
89 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 21, 2007 11:03 |  #33

OK. Well, how about the first weekend in June? I could likely do that. Maybe not the Friday, depends on work. (Which is why I picked end of May because it's usually quiet at the ends of the month.) But the Sat, Sun would be fine.

Jun 1-3?

I say everyone who's interested just post the weekends they can/can't go (whichever list is shorter :)) and we'll go from there. And as already mentioned by Geoff_Shawcross, once we have a solid date (and one or two backup date(s) just incase the weather turns bad) then we can decide on places.

Canon EOS 30D w/ grip, 5D, 430EX, 580EX II, MT-24EX
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8
L IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Manfrotto 055MF4 Mag Fiber Tripod w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 21, 2007 13:19 |  #34

At this point of time I have nothing on for the weekend of June 2-3 and would make it work.

Maybe we could meet at the zoo early on Saturday as that is usually the least crowded time, then either head somewhere else for later or even do something else on Sunday. Although I love going to the zoo, I do it all the time so would like to try something new.

-JIM-

Geoff_Shawcross
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 21, 2007 14:45 |  #35

That weekend sounds good to me.

And so far, it seems like everyone agrees that the Calgary Zoo would be a good place to start off.

"I bring you to a paradise planet two billion light years from earth and you want to update Twitter?" --The Doctor from 'Doctor Who'

calgaryphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 21, 2007 17:23 |  #36

June 2-3 sounds good to me! Long weekend is out, as is any weekend after the 9th

CANON EOS 300D | Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | CANON EF-S 18-55 F/3.5-5.6 | Some soft Hood | CANON EF 75-300 F/4.5-5.6 III USM | Canon ET-60 Hood | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Canon ES-62 Hood | CANON 430EX | MANFROTTO TRIPOD | Canon RC-1 Remote | A WHACK OF BP-511'S | SANDISK CF CARDS | LOWEPRO MINI-TREKKER AW |

elfieh
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 213 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2007 12:50 as a reply to  @ calgaryphotographer's post |  #37

Beginning of June sounds good to me!

Elfie

Elfie
My Gear List | |My Flickr page (external link)

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2007 13:10 |  #38

Seems the zoo has been the most popular venue. It opens at 9:00 so could meet June 2 either there or for breakfast, or a coffee, ahead of time if this is where we decide to go. We could spend 3-4 hrs there then maybe go to another spot. I am likely headed there this Saturday.

Any more thoughts, wishes or desires on going to the zoo and/or other places and times to go there.

I, for one would like to go somewhere I have never been, at least not with camera in hand.

-JIM-

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 27, 2007 18:42 |  #39

Had a blast shooting at the zoo on Saturday but boy did it ever get busy. It might be tough to do a group thing with, especially if the weather gets even better. We could still make it work, we would just have to exercise patience. Would a Friday work for everyone, I know that my boss(me) would give me a day off anytime I wanted.

Thoughts?

-JIM-

davidm_86
89 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 27, 2007 20:06 |  #40

Well, the Friday would be tough for me personally just based on our release cycle of software. I might be able to swing it. But I wouldn't cancel the plans just because I *may* not make it. If everyone else can go, great. That leaves Sat/Sun open for more ideas... anyone?

Canon EOS 30D w/ grip, 5D, 430EX, 580EX II, MT-24EX
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8
L IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Manfrotto 055MF4 Mag Fiber Tripod w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head

Geoff_Shawcross
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 28, 2007 05:08 |  #41

Not sure about friday would work to well either. There isn't a problem with taking friday off, but my shift on thursday doesn't finish until 2:30am (friday morning), and it's a 2.5 hour drive (or there abouts) up to Calgary for me. Thus, I wouldn't bee in Calgary until probably 2pm or 3pm friday afternoon.

For me, my normal days off are sunday and monday, and I plan on taking the friday and saturday off, thus potentially giving me part of friday, saturday, sunday and part of monday (June 1-4).

But, doesn't mean others couldn't go to the zoo (or where ever) earlier on in the day on friday, and the others can meet up with the rest later on at a given time, etc.

I would like to make it to the zoo though if possible. It's been a while since I last went there.

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2007 09:18 |  #42

We should stick to Saturday regardless what we do then. I was just reminded with the nice weather while there last Sunday the the zoo is... well, it's a zoo. ;)

As long as folk are patient with the hordes of families we could still make it work. If we were to try to stick together as a group I would imagine being there 4+ hours. Heck, even by myself going where I felt at my own pace, I am usually there for at least 4 hours. The butterfly/tropical cage usually holds me captive for at least an hour, the raptors for 30+ minutes, etc.

As most of my photo excursions take me into the mountains and far away from Calgary I do not really know of many places in, or near, town to take people though I am sure many others would know of great places.

We could also meet somewhere in town and carpool out to Kananaskis or Banff taking in a few different locations in the mountain.

Here's a couple teaser shots from the zoo last Sunday. Only PP done is to convert from RAW to JPEG for attachment purposes. Have yet to do the proper PP for the shots from the day. I actually had 473 images taken, quickly whittled down to about 200 for actual considerations. Both taken with the 100-400 at 400mm.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-JIM-

Geoff_Shawcross
5,127 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 28, 2007 14:35 |  #43

That carpool idea to Kananaskis or Banff sounds like a possibility. And in regards to the zoo, I could spend hours just in the indoor tropical areas as well as some of the outdoor areas......Don't think I've ventured over to the raptor area....hmm.

One question Jim. Do you usually take a monopod or tripod with you to the zoo when you do go, or do you do the shots hand held?...........Great pictures by the way. :)

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 28, 2007 14:58 |  #44

Geoff_Shawcross wrote in post #2945217 (external link)
That carpool idea to Kananaskis or Banff sounds like a possibility. And in regards to the zoo, I could spend hours just in the indoor tropical areas as well as some of the outdoor areas......Don't think I've ventured over to the raptor area....hmm.

One question Jim. Do you usually take a monopod or tripod with you to the zoo when you do go, or do you do the shots hand held?...........Great pictures by the way. :)

Thanks Geoff. I always take my monopod and use it wherever I can and handhold the rest. I do plan on taking my tripod next time to do some shots on all the great plant life there. The old aluminum tripod I have is too cumbersome and heavy for most things. I will have to look into one a bit lighter. I do like this one (external link).

-JIM-

scraps
187 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 28, 2007 15:18 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #45

Sorry to jump in a little bit late with my $0.02...

I would definitly be game for the carpool to K-Country/Banff idea. I can also supply a vehicle and room for 3 passengers (4 if you are really comfortable with each other!).
Like Jim, my work schedule is busy and anything but scheduled, so it's a little tough for me to commit too far in advance. Only thing I can commit to is not being available on long weekends.

-Evan

www.eolthof.smugmug.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

19,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer & Southern Alberta POTN Meet?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.