Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 May 2005 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: When do I need a Release?

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2007 16:54 as a reply to  @ post 2932456 |  #31

Chalak...
Seems like above quote is the most relevant, which means that I need a signed release.
My predicament is that how do you approach the subject if he/she is either a bystander or "unapproachable due to potential threat to me".

It's been posted a few times before. You do not need releases of photos that you are not going to use commercially. You can take all the pictures of homeless people that you want. You can put them on your website (so long as you're not using them to directly advertise a product.) You can put them in schoolbooks, in newspapers, in magazine stories, and any other artistic or editorial context you can think of. You can not, however, use them in advertisements. That would require a release.

Releases are not about "can I take a picture", but rather "what can I do with a picture".

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

sponsored links
chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 26, 2007 18:01 |  #32

Chakal...
Thanks for your response.

Here's my ques,
"what I can do with a picture", does that mean entering photo contest is ok?

Usually, in the "Rules", some kind of release is needed, right???

If needed, how would you handle the situation?

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

chakalakasp
809 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 27, 2007 17:41 |  #33

I believe that a photo contest would not require a release, unless the rules of the contest wanted one. (I would think that they would, since most contests will then use the winning pictures in ways that might be considered as advertisement.) If the rules of the contest require a release, then make sure you have some printed out and in your pocket when you go out shooting the homeless. After you get the shot, and assuming you feel safe doing so, approach the person and tell them that you just took their photo and would like to ask them to sign a release. Offer them some money (say, $5), and you'll probably get a signature.

I'm not a lawyer, though, so I could be wrong. :)

Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture (external link) PGP: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures! (external link)
Images@Getty (external link) Images@Alamy (external link)

chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 28, 2007 11:20 |  #34

Chakalakasp
I see. I guess I am not a pro so I am not prepared with a release in my pocket.

I am just wondering in the event that the "lucky shot" happens to be a winner, then what?
:)

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 28, 2007 11:29 |  #35

PhotoAttorney wrote in post #2818786 (external link)
Having a model release is a little safer especially when you are using it to promote something. Generally, displaying your work as an example of what you do as in a portfolio would be considered an editorial use. The church brochure may border on advertising/commercial use.

Best,
Carolyn

I got and read some of your book. I like it, but wanted more in the editoral vs. commercial section. It's not always practical to get a release. Maybe some more examples of what is what. I realize that the law is vague and subject to interpretation. If you do a coffee table book on gymnastics is that editorial? You mentioned putting shots on your website was editorial if you didn't post for sale or pricing. That would have been good info in the book.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

splitfyre
587 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 29, 2007 13:50 |  #36

There is a small ebook that my photography friend recommended to me, however I have yet to buy it. I've found with the photography that I do, I always get a release form done.

Digital: Canon 5D2,5Dc,40D
Film: Yashica FX-2
Lenses: Canon 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and Canon 135L

EnronRocks
557 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 07, 2007 23:01 |  #37

Follow this like the bible, it is the best advice one can get on this topic.

Name: Garrett
Visit My Website (external link) and My Gallery (external link).
AIM - EnronRocks

cassiar
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 15, 2007 09:13 |  #38

Just a little more clarification... I read the beginning of the posts and very helpful - Thanks! In the initial post it states "a picture of someone or something"... So we are putting together a coffee table book on some unique tress in the area and if I am reading this correctly we will need to get a release from homeowners to take pictures of their tree(s) if we want to use them?

When do I need a release?

When you take a picture of someone or something and plan on selling it commercially for use in ads, for example, you need a release. It is not your image or property and everyone has a right to control the uses of both.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 15, 2007 09:44 as a reply to  @ cassiar's post |  #39

I certainly don't think that you would need a release for the use of a picture of a tree as long as there are not identifiable things in the background, like a business name. If it was only a house, I don't think that you would need one. This is just my opinion though.

You would need to request permission to go on their property if you want to shoot from there otherwise you have to shoot from public property.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

JDB
400 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 18, 2007 21:40 |  #40

Right now I'm having a hard time figuring out where editorial use ends and commercial use begins.

Let's say I'm displaying photos on my website. I go to many events (some public, some for my school), and the photos I take get posted online. I also use my SmugMug site as a proofing system for portraits, and will password-protect a gallery when it's requested. Here's where I'm having some trouble understanding things. In my mind, I see these photos as being editorial - they certainly aren't being sold or used to advertise anything; they're just there for people to see. However, I can see the argument that these photos are, in fact, being used to promote something: me and my photography. Legally, how well does this argument hold up?

One teacher at my school is an amateur photographer, and he just recently saw my website. He complimemented me on my photos, then quickly told me that he was concerned that I don't have any model releases. I told him that I felt that he was incorrect because just publishing photos online does not require a release, but he insisted that I was wrong. If anybody would care to take a minute or two to take a glance at my website, I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on that. My website is: www.jbphotography.smug​mug.com (external link).

I was thinking, though, that if that's concidered commercial use, then shouldn't any use where photo credit is given be considered commercial? i.e., a photo in a newspaper doesn't require a model release, but if photo credit is given, couldn't you argue that the photo is technically promoting the photographer?

What about an online portfolio? My online "portolio" is www.flickr.com/photos/​jasonboulanger (external link) (and yes, I know this isn't the most professional approach, but for right now, it's working fine). I would say that my smugmug account is meant more for sharing photos, whereas my flickr account is just to display my better photos, thus promoting myself and my photography service. Is this commercial use?

Sorry for the long post, but what I was told today got me thinking. I'm not too worried though, as I figure that if I was going to get any complaints, I would have gotten them long ago. I do plan on getting releases in the future where I think it is necessary, but for the time being I think I'm OK. But let's say somebody did have a problem; would they be required to send a Cease and Desist letter before filing a lawsuit?

www.JasonBoulanger.com (external link)

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 22, 2007 05:49 |  #41

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is....

Posting on your webiste is editorial if you don't offer them for sale on the site. This assumes that they were taken in public with no expectations of privacy. You also should remove them if requested. I put a note on my online albums of events saying such. It's not an advertisement if they are not shown endorsing you or your sevices; it is instead an editorial of events your attended and the pictures you've taken.

I often end of selling these photos to the subjects of them after they email me.

I have model releases too with automatic online purchasing, but those albums in my gallery are hidden from public view even though I could show them. Those I also use within my portfolio and plan on using in my webistes front end when I get around to working on it.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

KAINAM13
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2007

May 26, 2007 10:11 |  #42

I have been approached to shoot parties and events at local clubs and bars. The images would be posted on their respective websites under an "event photos" section. The images would be captured in public domains and would not be sold. Would a release be required? Thanks!

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 28, 2007 17:55 |  #43

KAINAM13 wrote in post #3270135 (external link)
I have been approached to shoot parties and events at local clubs and bars. The images would be posted on their respective websites under an "event photos" section. The images would be captured in public domains and would not be sold. Would a release be required? Thanks!

It depends on how it is put on the site. If a gallery or pictures of events, I would say ok (editorial), but if it is the home page logo or picutre with text on it, show that person endorsing the bar then I would say you need a release. Again, I no expert, just read some stuff.

~ Jeff

peter ­ graham
66 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 04, 2007 20:40 as a reply to  @ TooManyHobbies's post |  #44

Would anyone know if a faxed model release would be considered legal? I didn't have a model release on hand when I took some photos and my friend is now back in another country after a short visit. I'm sure he could mail an original signed form but it would be more convenient to fax it over.

www.skylinephotography​.com (external link)

percepto
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 17, 2007 11:31 |  #45

Wow! What a minefield! I work for a holiday company in a resort in Italy and have been asked to shoot the photos for the company website and in house publicity. If I shoot say, the restaurant full of people, do I need to get a release from every person if the photos will end up in a brochure or web page? I will be paid to shoot the photos but I'm not actually selling any prints. After I am paid do I still own the rights to the photos?
Thanks for any help

40D and grip, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580 EX, ST-E2 Speedlite Remote, 2 x 2gb Sandisk Extreme lll,

sponsored links

133,308 views & 7 likes for this thread
When do I need a Release?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.