Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Mar 2007 (Saturday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ABs on their way...

Baadil
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 31, 2007 09:28 |  #1

Just got permission from my better half and order the following.

1 AlienBees B800-Alien Green
2 AlienBees B800-Deep Space Black
1 AlienBees B800-Mello Yello
4 AlienBees Carrying Bag
1 Foldable Large Softbox (32"x40") speedring attached
1 Four Honeycomb Grids
1 Four-Channel Wired Remote
1 Backlight Stand
2 10-foot General Purpose Stand
1 13-foot Heavy Duty Stand
1 32" Silver/White Umbrella
1 48" Shoot-Thru Umbrella

Now that I ordered all this, I am worried I won't know exactly how to use all this stuff. So far I have only been using built-in Flash on my XTi and available light. I have mostly been shooting in AV mode.

Anyone has any good links on how to use studio strobes properly? What should the camera be set to, what lens to use? (I have the kit lens, 50mm 1.8, and recently ordered Sigma 55-200mm F4.

Thanks a bunch.

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

sponsored links
AmpedPhoto
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 31, 2007 11:33 |  #2

nice, I am gonna be putting my order in here pretty soon. heres a great book
http://www.amazon.com …oks&qid=1174885​321&sr=1-1 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II (x2), 30D, 40D, G10, 70-200 F4 IS (x2), 16-35 f2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, 430 EX II (x2), 580 EX II Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (x2), Tonkia 12-24 F4, 10-18 Fisheye, Full studio with some light :)
AmpedPhoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

suyenfung
763 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 31, 2007 11:59 |  #3

you're going to need something to connect the camera to the lights. simplest way is with the hot shoe adapter they sell on their site. call and add one!

cleveland ohio wedding photographer (external link) | gear

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 31, 2007 12:04 |  #4

cheapest way is what suyenfung suggested.

simplest way is the radio transmitter and receiver, which is what I use. Not nearly as expensive as most options, and works like a charm.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

milleker
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 31, 2007 12:25 |  #5

One light at a time, too many times someone will throw two, three or four lights into the mix without knowing which one is doing what. Only when you understand what your Main light is doing, add a reflector, then a fill, then a background or hair light. Take samples every step of the way, you're in for a lot of fun!

Wires are ok and get one for now (the other flashes will flash when they see the wired one flash), but I'd suggest eventually buying one of those cheapie wireless flash triggers on eBay. I have receivers for all my lights and a transmitter for both my camera and light meter. Think all in all I paid around $50 including shipping.

Edit: This is the receiver/transmitter I purchased though there are plenty of kinds and I'm willing to bet they all work equally well.
http://cgi.ebay.com …ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

Baadil wrote in post #2960435 (external link)

Now that I ordered all this, I am worried I won't know exactly how to use all this stuff.

---John Milleker Jr.--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯
Web Links: My Homepage (external link)
Photography Weblog (external link)Flickr (external link)Maryland POTN Meetup Thread (external link)Donate to POTN! (external link)http://www.johnmilleke​r.com/weblog (external link)

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 31, 2007 12:37 |  #6

Just remember that lighting in a studio isn't as tricky as it seems. No matter whether you have one light or ten, you have but one main light. The rest of the lights that are on the subject are to control the shadows. Sometimes you'll use background lights, which can be an art all its own.

I think that the easiest way to think of lighting levels is in ratios. This is where you'll thank yourself for getting matching lights. Say you want a 3:1 ratio for the main to fill on your subject. Say you have your main set to 1/4. That means you'd have your fill set to around 1/32. You really just have to practice and experiment, I think. there's so many types of lighting, you'll be amazed when you let your creativity flow.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

suyenfung
763 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 31, 2007 13:00 |  #7

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #2960984 (external link)
cheapest way is what suyenfung suggested.

simplest way is the radio transmitter and receiver, which is what I use. Not nearly as expensive as most options, and works like a charm.

fair enough, he's right! i use a 4 channel magic trigger i got on ebay for $35. works great, wireless is super sweet, i would never go back to wires.

checked ebay, here is the one i have (external link), looks like it's $10 cheaper now.

cleveland ohio wedding photographer (external link) | gear

Stackinchips
237 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 31, 2007 14:32 |  #8

Conbgrats man... boy do I tell you. I got mine 3 weeks ago.. and the amoputn of boxes that show up. Rofl... you'll be a little overwhelemd.

Canon 24-70 F/2.8L
Alien Bee's
http://www.myspace.com​/jdiazphoto (external link)

Baadil
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 31, 2007 16:10 |  #9

Thanks everyone for your response. I am really looking forward to these lights :-)

A quick question; some of you recommended ebay-wireless triggers. I bbelieve I ordered AB Wired Remote Control. Will that not connect to my camera? That is about $100. Should I not get that and instead get these wireless remotes? How do these work outside in sun light? If I am correct one of them will trigger because of the wireless while others may not if it is too bright. Am I correct or thinking totally the wrong way.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

Stackinchips
237 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 31, 2007 17:37 |  #10

The wired remote is a Light remote to adjust power to all your ab's on one remote... instead of lwoering your lgiht stand or getting on a ladder everytime to adjust the power, etc.

It doesnt connect or trigger your lgihts from your camera though.

The cheapo RADIO slaves on ebay can be used in most enviroments..

I belive you were thinking OPTICAL slaves, which sense light. Your AB's will have those built in.

Canon 24-70 F/2.8L
Alien Bee's
http://www.myspace.com​/jdiazphoto (external link)

Baadil
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 31, 2007 18:40 |  #11

Thank but from this description I get the idea that I get a cable that will connect it to PC/Sync connection. Man, I am so very confused.
http://www.alienbees.c​om/wired.html (external link)

RGolfJ
344 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 31, 2007 20:55 |  #12

I do not believe your camera has a PC connection. You need something to run through your hotshoe.

1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 5D
16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, 100 2.8L Macro 70-200 IS 2.8L,
580 EX II, 580EX, 420EX, Skyports 2X extender
2 AB800, 1 AB400 with accessories
www.rodjamesphotograph​y.com (external link)

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 31, 2007 21:14 |  #13

Baadil wrote in post #2962560 (external link)
Thank but from this description I get the idea that I get a cable that will connect it to PC/Sync connection. Man, I am so very confused.
http://www.alienbees.c​om/wired.html (external link)

I just went through this when I bought two AB800s few weeks back. I bought the radio transmitter set from AB for $80 and it works great. One piece fits on the flash shoe on the camera and sends a signal to the receiver that is plugged in to 1 AB head. My other AB detects the flash and fires as an optical slave. No wires and it has been really dependable for the portraits I have been shooting.

You can get by getting a cable to run from your hotshoe to the flash head, but the AB radio set has four channels and doesn't cost that much more.

Just my 2 cents

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

Baadil
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 01, 2007 10:34 |  #14

Thank s guys. You guys saved me from a big disappointment. I would have received my lights and not been able to used them :-) I just odered this from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com …iewItem&item=22​0097466906 (external link)
I think I have everything now to start with :-)

Thank you.

aferrara
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 01, 2007 22:09 as a reply to  @ Baadil's post |  #15

I bought a bunch of stuff from AB's last year. I signed up for a studio lighting course at betterphoto.com with Vik Orenstein.
She walked us through every type of lighting set up over 8 weeks, with different backdrops and light positions. I highly recommend their courses.
April

sponsored links

1,566 views & 0 likes for this thread
ABs on their way...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.