Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2007 (Monday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

on board flash jammed on 30D

momof2boys
227 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2007 13:29 |  #1

My Monday has started off on the right foot......

went to unload my card today and sat the camera next to me on the computer desk not knowing my 1yr old was heading around the corner. yanked down on the next strap and there went my poor camera on the carpet.

of course my 50mm 1.8 kind of busted :rolleyes: (which I'm really not worried about-excuse for an upgrade i guess) but my on-board flash is jammed down in one corner of it preventing it to pop up!

I'm really afraid to touch it myself incase I pull too hard and end up breaking the entire flash itself off or something horrible like that i'm definitely not qualified to fix .

Here's a picture of the 'damage' for a visual

has anyone had this happen from a fall? is it pricey to fix?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Chelsea-
30D - *BROKE*Nifty Fifty - kit lens- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6
"I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it." ~Author Unknown

sponsored links
coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 02, 2007 13:30 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

you'd be better off getting a 430ex instead of paying to fix it.

Remember:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …1/viperx27/Flah​ssssss.gif (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

momof2boys
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2007 13:38 |  #3

thanks, I have one! Even though I don't use the flash on the camera. it would be nice to have it working anyways i guess. but i can live with it. It does look kind of ghetto to me though.

hahaha i love that icon. direct flash does stink. maybe this was a sign of the camera Gods to force me to use my 430ex more often. (sigh)

coreypolis wrote in post #2972447 (external link)
you'd be better off getting a 430ex instead of paying to fix it.

Remember:
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …1/viperx27/Flah​ssssss.gif (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

-Chelsea-
30D - *BROKE*Nifty Fifty - kit lens- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6
"I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it." ~Author Unknown

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Apr 02, 2007 17:30 |  #4

On one side of the hot shoe, under the rail, you will find a little switch. Jiggle that, and you will probably find the flash will pop up. Hopefully that will fix your problem for free!

Cheers
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
4,175 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Apr 02, 2007 18:08 as a reply to  @ puttick's post |  #5

It happened to my 20D. The camera fell off of my tripod after the Quick Release didn't lock properly. The flash worked after the fall for over a year, but gradually it got more difficult to pop up the flash. Canon Service fixed it for $250, and it looks like they replaced the entire top of the body - flash, hot shoe, and shutter button.

Have Fun,

Rick

My Gear list

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 02, 2007 18:25 as a reply to  @ CoolToolGuy's post |  #6

How's the 1-yr old? Will he/she make 2?

You know, you could use this as an excuse to upgrade to a 5D....

momof2boys
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2007 19:53 |  #7

Thanks Nigel, I will give that a try tonight and see if that doesn't do the trick.

puttick wrote in post #2973770 (external link)
On one side of the hot shoe, under the rail, you will find a little switch. Jiggle that, and you will probably find the flash will pop up. Hopefully that will fix your problem for free!

Cheers
Nigel

-Chelsea-

momof2boys
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2007 19:54 |  #8

oh boy. i figured it would be pricey if i have to send it in. maybe i'll just suck it up and live with the defect if our try to pop it back up doesn't work. thanks. :lol:

CoolToolGuy wrote in post #2973999 (external link)
It happened to my 20D. The camera fell off of my tripod after the Quick Release didn't lock properly. The flash worked after the fall for over a year, but gradually it got more difficult to pop up the flash. Canon Service fixed it for $250, and it looks like they replaced the entire top of the body - flash, hot shoe, and shutter button.

Have Fun,

-Chelsea-

momof2boys
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 02, 2007 19:57 |  #9

haha He's fine, thanks for asking. After some firm "No No's " (well a gazillion of them I would say) and a little fit, he's back to normal.

I told my husband about your reply- boy did that get a chuckle out of him. seeing that I got this camera in December of this year. Eventually, this one will be my back up, hopefully it won't be all jacked up by then.

Certainly have learned another lesson today.

20droger wrote in post #2974084 (external link)
How's the 1-yr old? Will he/she make 2?

You know, you could use this as an excuse to upgrade to a 5D....

-Chelsea-

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 02, 2007 20:35 as a reply to  @ momof2boys's post |  #10

Have you tried popping the flash up with the flash button? What I'd do is try to pop the flash up with the button at the same time pulling up gently on the flash itself. If this doesn't work, I'd just stick to using your shoe flash and not worry about the built-in.

The pop-up flash is one of the weak points of the entry and mid-level Canon cameras. Ever notice they don't have them on the Series 1 cameras or the 5D? I've had four different Canons, 2 film and 2 digital, that had the built-in flashes and not one of them worked properly for very long. I gave up on them a long time ago...

John

sponsored links

1,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
on board flash jammed on 30D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.