Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Apr 2007 (Tuesday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D and The Dreaded f 00

nitekatt2006
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 03, 2007 12:39 |  #1

hi 5D shooters. Yesterday on an intense photoshoot with 2 models, strobes, makeup artist, time running out, the Canon 5D locked up with the dreaded f 00. It is not mine, I just helped out with the lighting rig for the shooter. The camera was attached with the Canon 28-135mm zoom s 80 f8 before the lockup. I switched to P mode and it was still dead. I turned off the camera and removed the battery for 15 seconds, put it back in and still the camera locked up. I then turned it off again removed the lens and replaced it, turned it on and finally everything was back to normal.

This f00 never happened before so is this something that Canon should check or is it something minimal with the lens ring being tight enough. Any advice from other 5D owners that have had this problem, please let us know

Thanks katt

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 03, 2007 12:43 |  #2

I have never had it lock up on me...but sometimes, it could be the lens contacts. Maybe try cleaning those, and retest.

May I ask why whomever was doing the shooting (seems professionally) and using a 28-135 on a 5D? Nothing bad, just curious.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

johneric8
Goldmember
1,153 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 03, 2007 12:50 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #3

I have been saying this for over a year people !! That is why they sell 1 series cameras. They are built for the pro and the pro job.. I will never consider a 5d or 20D built for the pro who needs his gear to perform in a pinch. I would never spend the amount it would take to get a 5D just based on it's reliability. My 20D has given me err 99 on half my big paying shoots which just drives me insane.. When I've rented 1 series bodies, I have never had a problem... If you are doing pro work, run from the 5D unless you have a backup..

Too much Gear to list! :lol:

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 03, 2007 12:55 |  #4

^^ That's a blanket statement. How do you know it was the camera, and not something else, like the lens contacts? It's not like the shutter of the camera locked up, or the camera would focus and not shoot, etc. The OP mentioned that once he took the lens off, and put it back on, everything was all good...and I assume it was, for the rest of the day.

1-Series cameras aren't the cheapest...especially a FF one. Most people don't have holes burning in their wallets...with cash. The 5D is a FF wonder...even if it's not a 1-series camera.

Not trying to be harsh here, just trying to figure out the facts. I have taken well over 1500 shots with the 5D...and over 200 in burst mode, in the same day. Never have I had the 5D lock up on me.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

StarFinder
228 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 03, 2007 13:13 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #5

I used to get that quite often with my 350D and my 70-200mm f/2.8L. Never happened much with other lenses, but it did quite a few times with that one. Usually for me, turning off the camera, removing the lens, remounting it and then turning the camera back on fixed it. Still it was annoying.

Mine never happened during shooting though, from what I recall, but rather I would turn the camera on and get that error. It's strange, as my 70-200mm f/2.8L plays VERY nicely with my 5D and presents no such problems.

5D Mark II, Elan 7Ne, Nikon N4004, Mamiya RB67 Pro S
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 17-35mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Lots of additional lighting gear, and other goodies
[/I]Full Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 03, 2007 13:17 |  #6

johneric8 wrote in post #2978433 (external link)
I have been saying this for over a year people !! That is why they sell 1 series cameras. They are built for the pro and the pro job.. I will never consider a 5d or 20D built for the pro who needs his gear to perform in a pinch. I would never spend the amount it would take to get a 5D just based on it's reliability. My 20D has given me err 99 on half my big paying shoots which just drives me insane.. When I've rented 1 series bodies, I have never had a problem... If you are doing pro work, run from the 5D unless you have a backup..

What will you say if/when the 1D glitches? Oh and don't tell me a 1D will never glitch. ;) :)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

ErikM
about to go POSTAL
2,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2007 13:19 |  #7

I had this happen one time when I was doing a shoot at a snowboarding venue. Turns out my dial was inbetween modes. For example the arrow was inbetween M and AV... that gave me f00. Scared the **** outta me.. I thought the extremely cold weather may have messed things up but everything turned out okay!

Fell in love with photos.. made lots of money.. fell out of love with photos.. took a long break.. trying to find my love again.

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 03, 2007 13:28 |  #8

Yes, to answer a few of your responses. the shooter is a student on scholarship at art center. There was a mention of why she was using the 28-135mm on the 5D? Well, why not, it's great sharp lens when you have a good one and I have one sharp as a tack. We were in a small tight bedroom and she needed as much wide angle coverage, but also different compositions for her assignments and had to change lenses. She also had a Canon 17-35mm I think, a 14mm fisheye, a Canon 100mm macro and a few others. Canon plus Canon should not equal f00 on any body, IMHO. Someone even said get away from the 5D and buy pro series Canons. What's that about? The 5D, IMHO again is certainly a "pro" camera. And I get paid "pro" prices for the fine jewelry images I deliver to my clients using my 10D and 30D with the 28-135mm sometimes, Canon 100mm macro, etc.

Not all students can afford Canon's IDs series that can cost $4-8 grand and the 5D is what her teachers recomended plus a Canon film camera for other assignments. Many of her classmates have 5D and actually the majority of most of the photo students I heard also are buying more Canon products and of course Nikons

Anyway, if the dreaded f00 keeps happening, she will have to drive down to irvine and drop it off to the service center and see what Canon finds out and do their tests. it's under warranty

Thanks katt

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 03, 2007 13:30 |  #9

f/00 is what is displayed when contact is lost with the lens. Get an M42 adapter and old screwmount lens and you'll see the same thing.

That's why remounting the lens took care of it. It's random and pretty much unpreventable and NOT a system failure. Sometimes you'll even want to clean the contacts with an eraser.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Sonex305
171 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 03, 2007 13:31 |  #10

I think he may have been talking about the 28-135 and not necessarily the 5D? I would think the 5D would be a great body for that kind of work.

Craig

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
--Leonardo da Vinci

Rumjungle
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 03, 2007 13:39 |  #11

It may not be as bulletproof as a 1-series cam, but the 5D seems far from unreliable. As someone stated earlier, it was an issue with the contacts. Pull the lens off with the camera on you'll see it.

Gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 03, 2007 13:41 |  #12

And that could have been with either the camera or the lens.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2007 14:51 |  #13

I've had my 5D for about two months now and have seen the F00 thing once. Yes, it scared the SH** out of me too because the camera is pretty new and I was on vacation. I had been using the camera all day; it was a bit cold outside (maybe 3 degrees celcius); I was using it with the 24-105mm lens. I was shooting in drive mode and the camera just stopped shooting all of a sudden. I wasn't sure and still don't know if it was the lens, the camera or the contact points.

However, I turned the camera off and on, changed the battery and nothing. The only thing that worked was taking the lens off and then remounting it. .

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 03, 2007 15:07 |  #14

Yes, all 5D owners, please post any continual f00 lockups and how you corrected it, what lens and the shooting conditions. I am hoping this situation is not something that will keep happening and if it does, if it is camera related or lens

I imagine the dreaded f00 can happen with any Canon lens combo and not partial to any particular model

katt

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 03, 2007 15:09 |  #15

Is this based on your experiences with the 5D? Just wondering. I have never had a problem with the 5D shooting everthing from studio to safari. I will be getting the 1D MkIII when available just because I want it. But I would not take anything for the 5D.

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

8,840 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D and The Dreaded f 00
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.