Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 23 Mar 2007 (Friday) 21:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ReDesigned Web Site, again...+ ?'s

Mr. ­ E
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 23, 2007 21:23 |  #1

Hi All,

www.eriksnaturephotogr​aphy.com (external link)

I rediesigned the Web Site again; my primary questions are:

Does it load quick enough for non DSL people?
Is the design simple enough?
What do you think about the article section- or about even having one?
Also, thinking about adding a sign-up for a newsletter that would come out every quarter or so or when I had a few new pictures added.

It was designed with FrontPage (all I have for web design).

The front page pictures (the 6 small ones) I am going to change around every few weeks.

Thanks!

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2007 23:37 |  #2

I very strongly suggest either coding it by hand, or finding and paying someone who knows how to do as such. Frontpage spits out really nasty code, and heavily limits what you can do.

As for the site itself, two things I notice. The first is, those images on the home page look like I should be able to click them and get to a larger view, but they aren't, in fact, links. The other thing is that you're watermarking tiny thumbnails. No one's going to be making prints from those, and it makes them look pretty awful, when a substantial portion of an already tiny image is dedicated to a watermark; you should be safe going without them on images that small.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

Mr. ­ E
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 25, 2007 18:08 |  #3

Thanks bieber; money wise I have to do the web site myself for now; I traded pictures for someone to do a web site but the only thing I got out of it was screwed. Are there any free html code tutorials on the web that can help with changing the look of FrontPage? Or any free html code web site making programs?
I liked the idea of removing the watermarks from the pictures and adding the links to the front pictures. Those pics are just a mini gallery to get people in, so the links just make sense! I have almost all the small pictures unwatermarked.

Thanks!

Scorpio
393 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 30, 2007 18:00 |  #4

Just my $0.02...

Get rid of the hit counter. There should be better ways to keep track of your traffic, it can be misleading and ultimately there's no reason to let everyone else know how much you site does or doesn't get visited.

Secondly, I'd crop the thumbnails to all be the same height (and width), so you have two distinct bands of photos with your current setup.

Finally, constrain the text (in a table or a div block) to be the same width as the photo bands. That way it doesn't extend over into what seems to be the side margins on the site, and it'll improve readability.

... at less than a cent a piece, I hope that advice helps =)

Dan...

20D + 24-105 f/4 L IS + a little knowledge = Random Shots (external link)

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 04, 2007 00:19 as a reply to  @ Scorpio's post |  #5

The colors are nice, and the layout is simple.

I would definitly make sure you change the title to each individual page to something other than "new page1"

Hit counters are not real common any longer.
If you want to track traffic, try google analytics. http://www.google.com/​analytics (external link)
Its a free service and it gives you TONS of info about your visitors.

Other than that, I think you're off to a good start!

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
ReDesigned Web Site, again...+ ?'s
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.