Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 23 Mar 2007 (Friday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Having Own website?

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 25, 2007 01:15 as a reply to  @ post 2924776 |  #16

I am still searching, sure there is a way to get that decent personal pro site without complicated and easy to control and friendly interface and the most important is that i can sell photos, there are many simple good enough sites but i want my site to look more pro than simple basic one, doesn't matter of pic if the site itself is interesting as long the site can be interesting, if i have to pay then i pay for what is worth and i am sure the site what i look for, i don't want to pay on some sites to check if it is good for me or not, it is wasting money more than testing a site.
I will post later some sites that it looks fine and good pro enough to see what i look for.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
R_Metzel
fish stick man!
1,455 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 25, 2007 18:21 |  #17

bieber wrote in post #2924762 (external link)
Tareq, those languages all serve different purposes. PHP does server-side scripting, Javascript client-side scripting, and MySQL is a query language for databases. It's all heavily complicated, and you'd need to start by learning (X)HTML and CSS. Metzel, that's probably the most heinous over-simplification of PHP I've ever seen. Just because a site uses PHP doesn't mean it's configurable by the user, and many user configurable sites aren't built with PHP.

I was trying to keep things simple! No need to confuse someone with 9 million different terms and options when you don't need to.;) I like to use simple terms and definitions so I don't make people feel stupid. I always do this unless I am talking to someone that speaks the same language.

-Rob-
www.blacktiefoto.com (external link)
gear

POD77
377 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 31, 2007 07:13 |  #18

I agree no flash/music for pruchase and gallery areas, you want it to be simple and straight forward. But as far as advertising goes, I think flash or a good slideshow and music is okay (as long as you can turn the music off). I don't like having music on the front page tho.

Are you wanting to sell stock items or pictures for particular clients?

At the end of the day, have fun with it, because if you don't you will lose interest and it will go nowhere.

My Gear
----------
Old beaten cameras and ritually sacrificed lenses
----------
http://www.pdphoto.com​.au (external link)http://www.cairnsimage​.com.au (external link)

openmatt
57 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 02, 2007 11:32 |  #19

if you want a friendly awesome webhost check out www.wiredhub.net (external link)

It's cheap... their tech support is amazing and a lot of free scripts like Gallery included and the installation process is easy. Their support team guarantees a response within' 3 hours and every time I've had the tiniest problem or had troubles setting something up (that was totally a problem of understanding on my side) they have over-delivered with that process... pretty fast too.

I pay $9.95/mo... I get 12gb webspace and 400gb bandwidth/mo... unlimited subdomains, e-mail address, etc.

*new* Canon 350d 18-55mm EF-S 3.5-5.6, EF 70-210mm f/4.0
*old* Nikon F60 28-80mm 3.3-5.6G
*double-old* Pentax K1000
*stolen*Canon 300d 18-55mm EF-s 3.5-5.6, EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 02, 2007 11:38 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

creativemotiondesign.c​om

they'll build you a pro website for cheep (compared to the competition or a web developer/graphic artist). My next site will be with them.

You can build it yourself, I did my own, but it takes a lot of practice and work, and I'd assume be out shooting instead of trying to figure out html, CSS etc

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,842 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2007 15:39 as a reply to  @ coreypolis's post |  #21

Thank you all people for help.
I think i will think to build or own a site later, i will see if i need a pro-looking site or just normal one.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

photosbyjuan
289 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 03, 2007 17:01 |  #22

if you have a mac, I would suggest you start off with rapidweaver. very straight forwards and I think your going to get the best professional results with that. I personally use it and although I'm more like intermediate it's still a great app, once you learn css your'll have lot of FUN!

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 04, 2007 00:34 |  #23

Tareq wrote in post #2973162 (external link)
Thank you all people for help.
I think i will think to build or own a site later, i will see if i need a pro-looking site or just normal one.

You mentioned selling photos a couple times.. Check out smugmug. A pro account is $150 US a year and you can change the look and feel as you become more comfortable with CSS and HTML. It may be a great way to get you up and running quickly without hiring a development team.

Personally, I think flash can be done well and over done. I've seen a lot of photog sites with too much flash. A little goes a long way in my opinion.

Good luck on your site!

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,842 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 04, 2007 14:10 as a reply to  @ fuzzygraphics's post |  #24

I saw many websites that offer to have good own sites and some professional look style as well, so i will keep reading about them, and most offering the selling service as well.
I bought my own domain, some websites don't allow or not have to have own domain name as option.
about flash or music, i think music i was looking to have one so slow relaxing one with low voice and turn on/off option as well, but seems music is not so preferable to many here or somewhere else maybe, and the flash in fact i want to use it only in homepage as intro and not on all pages, and not extreme flash so even me i don't want that much flash, all that to make my own site looks more interesting than just posting photos and clicking on links, even if my photos are good enough sometimes if the site itself is so bored then no one will even go deep to see more.

Simply i want a site that from first entering or lok to first page you feel that you are in an expert or pro site, but if it is just as many websites around the net then i have to work very hard and waiting long time before i can sell one or 2 photos, if not true then i will check many good website like smugmug or so as they are enough to have photos for sales and the design is good enough, just to remember, as long i will pay then i need lil bit close to perfect site.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

3,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Having Own website?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.