Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Apr 2007 (Thursday) 13:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

airplaine travel and photo gear?

Big ­ John
471 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 12, 2007 13:59 |  #1

Hi everyone, I have just been asked to fly to Boston for my brothers wedding in May to be the wedding photographer. Does anyone know if there are restrictions to bringing your camera and lenses on board the passenger compartment? I know in this day and age of heightened security people are very anxious about what we can carry on a plane.

I don't want to check nearly $4,000 worth of gear and never see it again.

Anyone travel with their gear?

come see my photos at www.cmuetz.smugmug.com (external link) when you have a chance!
Canon 30D
Canon 20D
Canon 70-200mm F4 L ,
Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS L
Tamron 28-75 XR Di
Canon 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 50 mm F1.8
Canon 300D

sponsored links
T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2007 14:21 |  #2

Make sure that all sharp objects are gone, and I have found that of corse the size limitation. By no means let it out of your site! Good luck

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 12, 2007 14:33 |  #3

Don't forget to put cleaning solutions and other liquids in the hold too, if the restrictions are anything like over here!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2007 14:39 |  #4

yea, and you can probably forget about taking a large tripod too.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

HoRnYTuRbO
985 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 12, 2007 15:08 |  #5

I just flew to DC from Boston with Jetblue
I had 2 bags a Northface backpack which i kept my cameras in and a 24" bag for clothes and a lens, etc. When i was on the plane i put the 24" in the over head and the backpack under the seat in front of me either bag would of fit but i rather have my $$ bag in front of me. hope this helps

-Vinny

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2007 15:22 |  #6

I just flew to TN from NY. No issues. I had my tripod (in it's case) and camera bag/gear with me, checked one clothes bag, and was good to go. They inspected it, and let me through, no questions asked. There was even a bottle of lens cleaning solution which I forgot to take out, but since it was in a case, inside the bag, I wasn't presented with any hassles.

In fact, the same scenario existed when I went to San Fran. back in February. I took everything in my list, the 5D, 70-200, 50, 17-40, 400 (left the 300 at home), the 100, 1.4TX, Flash, etc. No hassles.

Good luck on the trip, and congrats to the couple getting married.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2007 15:31 |  #7

Just make sure you are within the size and weight limits for carry on. Check with your airline because each one can be different. If you have lens cleaner or anything else, it has to be in a clearly marked bottle (plastic) less than 3 oz. and all liquids and gels (toothpaste, deodorant, etc.) must be in a gallon ziplock bag that you can take out and run through the xray separately.
I run gear through the xray all the time and have never been questioned. Overseas I had to pull out my mini-mag lite and explain what it was and turn it on so they could see if was a flashlight, but not really a hassle.
As I said, size and weight are the big worries.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

bungee
385 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 12, 2007 15:36 |  #8

Airlines & airports seem to be fine with all sorts of photography gear.

I flew out of Heathrow with a Lowepro Compu Rover AW stuffed with body + 3 lenses + flash and assorted gear/filters etc + CF tripod + ball head + 17" MAC Powerbook. All up weight was 9kg but the concern was only that it fitted into the size restrictions, which it did (just).

Check airport & airline restrictions online as they can change.

The unknown is magnificent
Gear List
http://www.imagine-the-world.com (external link)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2007 15:53 |  #9

Just make sure to travel efficiently. Laptops have to be taken out of their bags, and placed in a separate tray. Camera bags can just go whole, through the machines. Other than that, be comfortable...that's all I can say. Take off your belt, take out your wallet, leave the change at home, no lighters (but matches are OK (US at least) -- never had an issue with them), cig's (if you smoke) out the pockets, cell phones go in a separate bowl...and make sure there's no random metals in the bag.

Just gotta be smart...when travelling. :wink:

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 12, 2007 16:58 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #10

What about a Rocket Blower? I'm flying tomorrow, and will probably stick the RB in with my checked stuff...just not a good shape to be carrying around an airport.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 12, 2007 18:57 |  #11

Here's some carry-on information.

http://www.luggageonli​ne.com/about_airlines.​cfm (external link)

Best to check your airline's web site. If you happen to be travelling on a smaller commuter jet or prop plane, you may have to check some carry-on baggage at the gate.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

kona77
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 12, 2007 19:43 |  #12

michaelgreen78 wrote in post #3029880 (external link)
Don't forget to put cleaning solutions and other liquids in the hold too, if the restrictions are anything like over here!

I would make sure the cleaning solution is non-flammable. If it is flammable the cargo hold is no place for it. I have spoken with several pilots about this and they are not keen on having unauthorized flammable containers in the belly of the plane. Just buy cleaner when you arrive.
Good Luck.

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 12, 2007 21:42 as a reply to  @ kona77's post |  #13

I normally travel with way more gear than can be carried on board. I back my additional gear in a hard sided suitcase and have not had any trouble in dozens of trips. I opted for this type of case over a Pelican type of case as they just scream "I've got expensive stuff in me". I spent 30 odd years working at the airlines and you want to minimize this signal as much as you can. I have traveled to shoot weddings and taken multiple bodies lenses and 4 strobes this fashion.

I highly recommend that you do yourself a favor and live within the guidelines of the airline that you are traveling on. If you get caught in a position where you are in violation then you either check your gear as you were trying to carry it on or you don't go. The airlines are becoming ever more vigilante in checking for this. Space on board is limited and beyond that it can be a safety factor. The major airlines are very good at keeping their guidelines up to date on their websites. I also recommend that you print this out and keep a copy with you. It is not uncommon for the regulations to change and sometimes this doesn't filter down to the front line staff fast enough.

Here are a couple of other threads that deal with air travel that I found in a search.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=293052

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=286165

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Jubilee32
455 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 15, 2007 20:00 |  #14

No problems in lots of trips - only once did someone check all my lenses and I think he was a newby. Very nice and caused me no trouble. Tripods can cause troubles with size requirements and might be best checked. SSIM is absolutley right - know what your airline allows (on their web site) and make sure you are within the rules.

So much "stuff" - so little time

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 15, 2007 20:10 |  #15

I recently bought a Dakine Sequence backpackfor this purpose - mainly since it had enough space around the inner camera block that it serves as a useful carry-on for snacks, windbreaker, water bottle etc. Easy to put on back and carry the weight and thus easy to handle other suitcases etc. Tripod went inside my suitcase. If for some reason the airline got extra picky with the Dakine (can't see why) you can take the inner camera block out and use as a shoulder bag separately - then you could check the outer backpack if you had to. Easily held all my gear, ice axe straps excellent for a tripod!

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sponsored links

3,587 views & 0 likes for this thread
airplaine travel and photo gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.