Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 12 Apr 2007 (Thursday) 23:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DMk3 or 30D - professionals only please

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 13, 2007 01:48 |  #16

If the cameras aren't reliable they're useless, so i'll try a 30D as an interim solution. I wouldn't get a 1D2, i'd wait for the 3 to be properly released and the bugs worked out. The 30D with a 20D backup will be fine for 6 months, i'll do IT contracting in the winter (not many weddings) so the price of a 1D3 won't be so much of an issue.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
MKII
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 13, 2007 02:17 |  #17

I own a mark ii n and i can say that this camera is amazing...ill get a 30 d for a 2nd body....because i think that its important to have bodies from different series...mark ii n is my guarranty...and eos 30 d will be my compagnion whitch defenetly can provide you great results..as a friend said before...its not the camera...its the photographer...always.​..!!!!

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.co​m/JohnDomPhotography (external link)
http://JohnDomPhoto.Co​m (external link) - http://JohnDomWeddings​.Com (external link)

GEAR LIST

MKII
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 13, 2007 02:22 |  #18

i ve seen many pros with expensive cameras whos photos are worst than anothers with p&s cameras...i am a pro for 14 years...3rd generation family photographer...be sure about that....its all about practice..love about what youre doing and imagination..a good camera is the last thing you need.if you dont have the skills..practice brings results...be well...

http://JohnDomPhoto.Co​m (external link) - http://JohnDomWeddings​.Com (external link)

GEAR LIST

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 13, 2007 02:23 |  #19

MKII wrote in post #3033145 (external link)
a good camera is the last thing you need.if you dont have the skills..practice brings results...be well...

A reliable camera is the first thing a professional photographer needs.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

MKII
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 13, 2007 02:59 |  #20

tim wrote in post #3033146 (external link)
A reliable camera is the first thing a professional photographer needs.

a good camera is the last thing you need.if you dont have the skills..!!!!
i guess you didnt understood what i said...i wasnt refering to pros....be well...

GEAR LIST

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 13, 2007 03:01 |  #21

MKII wrote in post #3033193 (external link)
a good camera is the last thing you need.if you dont have the skills..!!!!
i guess you didnt understood what i said...i wasnt refering to pros....be well...

You put a full stop between the words! I know what you mean. The photographer is more important than the equipment, so long as the equipment is decent and reliable.

tommy_london
228 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 13, 2007 07:03 |  #22

I've used a 20D and a 30D for my last 20 or so weddings, I've only ever had one problem and that was with an older L series wide angle attached - the contacts had worn and it sometimes lost connection with the body. Once I'd determined it was the lens at fault I sold it. It really wasn't worth the stress of using a sub-standard piece of equipment on what was already a fairly stressful day.

If I were you Tim i'd cut my losses and get rid of both bodies asap. I'm surprised you stuck with them for as long as you did - there have been a few failures previous to this yeah?

As for a replacement... personally I have no real need/want for a 1 series body and a 30D/20D offers all I need. I carry 2 (gripless) bodies all day and so the extra weight would be an issue. My 20D is fairly beat up now so I'll be looking to replace it next year probably (only doing a handful of weddings this year due to house move/renovations - so it'll do for a while longer) and I wouldn't hesitate in getting a second 30D to take its place.

"My general feeling is that wedding photogs feel their work is more important than anyone else's" - POTN Moderator :confused:

philpereira
437 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 13, 2007 07:32 |  #23

I didn't get to read most of the thoughts here, but here are some of mine. While the new 1d is definitely impressive, it might not be totally necessary to get it. Tim, you have the mindset that cameras are tools and I agree with you. While it would be nice to have access to the new features, it's not necessary to get the job done. I was using a 300d for a while, and an upgrade was necessary because it was hindering my progress with its lack of features. But the 30d has enough features for one to be successful at wedding photography, and I'd imagine getting the new 1d would only result in a negligible increase in quality, and may not result in any more revenue than a 30d could bring you. Just my two cents :)

Canon 30d | Canon 20d | Rebel G film body | AV-1 film body w/ ef 50m f/1.4 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.8 II (deceased) | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 420ex | Nikon sb-24 and sb-28 | Sekonic L358

Kansas City, Boston Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | Pet Photography (external link)

cwphoto
Go ahead, make my day
2,167 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Location: Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Cumberland, NSW, Australia

Apr 13, 2007 08:55 as a reply to  @ post 3033070 |  #24

If I didn't shoot pro sport it would be a toss-up between the 5D and the 1Ds Mark II. As it is the 1D is the best compromise for me and I have two Mark IIIs on order.

EOS-1D X Mark II| EOS 5D Mark IV | EOS 80D | EOS-1V HS
L: 14/2.8 II | 17/4 | 24/1.4 II | 24/3.5 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 100/2.8 Macro IS | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 300/2.8 IS II | 400/2.8 IS II | 500/4 IS II | 600/4 IS II | 8-15/4 Fisheye | 11-24/4 | 16-35/2.8 III | 24-70/2.8 II | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS II | 200-400/4 IS 1.4x
Sundry: 600EX II-RT | 1.4x III | 2x III | 12 II | 25 II | OC-E4

dophoto
112 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 13, 2007 12:44 |  #25

christian, you lucky bugger! lol

dave

tmonatr
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 13, 2007 13:04 |  #26

cosworth wrote in post #3033070 (external link)
You can win a race driving a Minardi,

The Minardi drivers would probably argue with you on that. HaHa.

Tim
Bartender - "So, you guys are dictionary salesmen."
Roy Munson - "You would be punctilious in assuming that."

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 13, 2007 13:09 |  #27

tmonatr wrote in post #3035363 (external link)
The Minardi drivers would probably argue with you on that. HaHa.

Did you go to Indianapolis? :P

3000 posts! woo!

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 14, 2007 00:09 as a reply to  @ cosworth's post |  #28

I use a 1DsMKII, 1DMKII and a 5D in our wedding work. The 5D is normally being used by my second shooter and I will carry the two 1 series. I have never felt that weight was an issue. I haven't found many occasions when I have needed the high FPS and could live without it totally if I had to. I like the option of having full frame and a crop factor body. I've pre-ordered the DIII to give that a try as well. I will probably push the 30D out the door when that comes in. I have used the 30D at weddings but I much prefer the 1 series.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

3,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DMk3 or 30D - professionals only please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.