Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Apr 2007 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Playboy Photographer Arnie Freytag's Lighting and Workflow

nitekatt2006
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2007 13:10 |  #1

:rolleyes: Hello shooters. I was watching that show last night, The Girls Next Door, Hef's reality series from the Playboy Mansion and this episode featured photographer Arnie Freytag shooting the gals in various layouts, lighting, cameras, indoor, outdoor. To me, this is like attending a master class. What I noticed is that Arnie has his monterous ring flash hooked up to what looked like a 35mm. Not sure if it was digital or not, but curious if Playboy shoots mainly digital or still sticking with film. Now guys, I only watch the show strictly for technical purposes and do not pay attention to the beautiful women running around half nude in tight bikinis with Arnie getting them in the frame.

I imagine that Playboy spares no expense on buying or renting the best and most expensive camera gear and lighting rigs out there now.

Also, Arnie was firing off some shots which looked like a Hassy, Pocket Wizard in the hotshoe, maybe with a Leaf back or similar and they were viewing the shots instantly, so that had to be digital. And it appears that to get the "Playboy" look, the ring flash is used exclusively for the centerfold shots and a few others, along with big softboxes

I yahooed Arnie Freytag's name and not much came up about him, so far, no link to a website. Anyone know much about him and his workflow? It was really impressive watching him work

Thanks katt

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

sponsored links
krazziecliff
761 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 27, 2007 13:15 |  #2

I'm watching this space...sounds very interesting. I'd imagine Playboy going all the way, so a Hassy H3D possibly. havent watched the show, but definitely seen alot of Fashion/Glamour/Boudoi​r/Burlesque type photographers use the Hassy.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 27, 2007 13:24 as a reply to  @ krazziecliff's post |  #3

Playboy went digital a while back, but not for the centerfold. That is still shot in medium format on film, or at least was when I read an article in a popular photography magazine detailing their work.

mark

terriyaki
528 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 27, 2007 13:30 |  #4

http://www.arnyfreytag​studios.com/ (external link)

seems like you need an account to get past the main page :(

X100S | 5D | 35 | 85 | 430EX

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 27, 2007 13:33 as a reply to  @ terriyaki's post |  #5

Yeah, I was just about to say that.

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2007 14:58 |  #6

Yeah, thanks for the Arnie link, but yes, have to have a password/account, yikes, oh well!

I would assume that Arnie would have a lighting guy so he doesn't have to fool around setting it up other than metering and experimenting. Maybe Hef is the lighting guy, who knows

Interesting that somebody responded that Playboy went digital other than the centerfold shots are still done in med format and film. Curious as to why, because certainly high end 39 MP Hassy should capture enough pixels for a magazine for at least a 133 line screen. Perhaps, just a tradition to keep a part of the past in the present

katt

Canon 10D and 30D. Tokina 80-200mm Pro 2.8 zoom, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 2 AB 800

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 27, 2007 16:08 |  #7

nitekatt2006 wrote in post #3114356 (external link)
I imagine that Playboy spares no expense on buying or renting the best and most expensive camera gear and lighting rigs out there now.

I highly doubt it. Paul Buceta was shooting most of his stuff with a 10D, 28-135 and 50/1.8... or something like that.

It's all about the light and rimlights. Not the sensor. Plus - for the magazine prints they might as well shoot it with a rebel.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 27, 2007 18:30 |  #8

I have seen that show a few times. Purely for photographic research purposes. What follows is pure conjecture on my part, with absolutely no suporting evidence.

My guess is that Freytag and the other shooters do nothing more than show up, meet the model, grab the camera, shoot, and go home. What these guys specialize in is knowing how to direct a model and pose her "the Playboy way", and hit the shutter button.

Other people setup everything else, and it is elaborate. Costumes, hair, makeup, sets, props and lighting are all carefully orchestrated by other equally talented people. The workflow after the shoot is all handled by others on the staff.

As mentioned, the camera and format used are pretty irrelevant, though I would submit that for the centerfold, which is about 27 inches long, medium format of some sort would likely yield at better image than the more common DSLRs. I have seen various cameras used on the "Girl Next Door" program. My guess is, the photographer can pick his tool of choice.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

bundybear
210 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 27, 2007 19:09 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #9

yeh right, you were all just lookng for the "learning experience" ay?:lol: :lol:

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome" -
Samuel Johnson

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 27, 2007 19:54 |  #10

bundybear wrote in post #3116170 (external link)
yeh right, you were all just lookng for the "learning experience" ay?:lol: :lol:

Unlike me they don't know how to multitask.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

R_Metzel
fish stick man!
1,455 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 27, 2007 20:04 |  #11

nitekatt2006 wrote in post #3114855 (external link)
Interesting that somebody responded that Playboy went digital other than the centerfold shots are still done in med format and film. Curious as to why, because certainly high end 39 MP Hassy should capture enough pixels for a magazine for at least a 133 line screen. Perhaps, just a tradition to keep a part of the past in the present

katt

I wonder too because the H3D's sensor is twice the size of a FF sensor. So it shoots 70mm, the same sized used in IMAX movies, except the digital version ofcourse. It probably is the whole tradition thing. Nothing compares to the look of quality film IMHO.

Now guys, I only watch the show strictly for technical purposes and do not pay attention to the beautiful women running around half nude in tight bikinis

My dad said the same thing about reading Playboy when I was a kid. When my mom found his stash, he said he only buys them for the articles, not the nude women. So she spent a day drawing clothes on all of the girls in black marker while he was at work! :lol:

-Rob-
www.blacktiefoto.com (external link)
gear

JRJay
188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 27, 2007 20:19 |  #12

This is the first I've heard of the show, I'll have to set my DVR...for educational purposes of course.;)

Jason
[30D][17-40 f/4L][17-55 f/2.8][50mm f/1.4][70-200mm f/2.8L IS]
My Website (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

Digger
574 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 27, 2007 20:26 |  #13

i saw the episode also. but to me it looked like the were using a mamiya digital medium format. i also noticed that the software on the mac said mamyia digital studio.

we are talking about the episode with the girl for mexico. she was a DJ right? they also said it would be the centerfold, but you all know reality tv is far from reality

email: tricksvo@gmail.com (external link)
www.rickodellphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nitekatt2006
THREAD ­ STARTER
175 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 27, 2007 21:28 |  #14

Digger. the episode I saw last nite was a big shoot at the Mansion with the big 3 blondes in bikinis and one of the models on a motorcycle and one in a Mae West theme. Arnie is one cool dude to be a real pro with all these foxy babes runnin' around a little bit bare, buit then again the dude has been doin' this work for decades. I'm sure he has many stories to tell as well

katt

Digger
574 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 27, 2007 21:48 |  #15

ahh i missed that episode. ill have to keep an eye for it

email: tricksvo@gmail.com (external link)
www.rickodellphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

12,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Playboy Photographer Arnie Freytag's Lighting and Workflow
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.